QB outlooks and Comparisons

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched every snap of every top QB prospect from this draft including Lamar Jackson

He is very gifted but has a way to go before becoming a good NFL passer consistently...

He tends to float deep balls which he will need to clean up at the NFL level... safeties will eat it up

people always compare him to Vick but he's not Vick... I was fortunate to see Vick in college live and Lamar and they aren't the same... Michael also played under center at Tech and he had the quickest delivery I've ever seen. He had great mechanics and the ball left Michaels hand like no other 

He had tons of personal problems but his skill was top notch hence going #1... I may be wrong but my eyes do not see the same arm talent between Vick and Jackson

....although we CERTAINLY have no idea what McBeane/McD/McDaboll are planning as far as the "look" of this offense, if you had to put forth your valued opinion, would Jackson possibly a fit?......

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....although we CERTAINLY have no idea what McBeane/McD/McDaboll are planning as far as the "look" of this offense, if you had to put forth your valued opinion, would Jackson possibly a fit?......

From a simplified verbiage standpoint the  erhardt perkins offense could fit Lamar

but getting rid of TT makes me feel like they want a more traditional QB... just my 2¢

You're way off on several of these. ie Rudolph. His most likely floor is Chad Pennington or Matt Schaub and his ceiling is Rivers.

Rosen's arm is too strong to ever be anything like Pennington. And he's not the same type of player. Rosen floor would be Sam Bradford and his ceiling would be Matt Ryan.

3 hours ago, billspro said:

I still want to know what games you watched so I can take your opinion credibly.

Darnold- ceiling: Rivers, floor: Winston

Rosen- Ceiling: Manning, floor: Bradford

Mayfield- Ceiling: Brees, Floor: Manziel

Rudolph- Ceiling: Prescott, Floor: Bridgewater

Allen- Ceiling: Flacco, Floor: Anderson

Jackson: Ceiling: Vick, Floor: less accurate RG3

White: Ceiling: Schaub, Floor: Webb

Rudolph is nothing like Prescott or Bridgewater.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

From a simplified verbiage standpoint the  erhardt perkins offense could fit Lamar

but getting rid of TT makes me feel like they want a more traditional QB... just my 2¢

...great point......we'll never know if TT's mobility was the mitigating factor or his struggles with the mental aspect of the game ala what needs to happen in a scant FIVE seconds of cranial processing......my unsubstantiated hunch would be the mental aspect of the game because I have NO idea how you speed up that Intel chip between a guy's ears to match speed/complexity of NFL game.....

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't agree. I think they got rid of Tyrod:

1) the money/contract

2) didn't want to teach new QB hesitancy 

Jmo

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

1) the money/contract

Jmo

.....have to agree......do not think they saw him as a long term starter in their plans....forget stats references and manipulations......don't see where the passing game would ever become a consistently viable threat with him at the helm.....at $18 mil for a back up wouldn't work.....we have moved on...........

7 hours ago, the skycap said:

1) the money/contract

Jmo

Yes .... the $$$ was too much if they were not committed to him.  This is a rebuilding year, and their lucky playoff entry last year took some of the heat off in terms of delivering short term results. They can afford to wing it at QB for a year and try something else.

Also to avoid damaging the locker room.   I think the benching for Peterman hurt them there, whether it came out publicly or not. Not Tyrod's fault, but he was pretty popular among players.

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....have to agree......do not think they saw him as a long term starter in their plans....forget stats references and manipulations......don't see where the passing game would ever become a consistently viable threat with him at the helm.....at $18 mil for a back up wouldn't work.....we have moved on...........

And it’s not like we cut him.  We got a 2nd rd pick

15 hours ago, CamboBill said:

This is a revision  of some preliminary thoughts I had on another thread,  Tries to put things into context, which is useful when we are talking about mortgaging entire drafts.

My rankings:

1) Sam D'Arnold 

Floor:    J Cutler

Ceiling:   Eli Manning

Most likely equivalent: B Bortles (with better intangibles)

Comment: Concerns about ball protection but looks like sure fire pro

2) Lamar Jackson

Floor: V Young

Ceiling: S Young

Most likely equivalent: S McNair+

Comments: Highest (likely to reach) upside in draft. Needs to overcome stereotypes and early poor choices in career management.

3)Josh  Rosen:

Floor: Chad Pennigton

Ceiling: Phil Rivers  

Most likely Equivalent: Sam Bradford

Comment: Most sure thing in draft but durability a major concern.

4) Josh Allen

Floor: C Hackenburg

Ceiling: B Rothlisberger   

Most Likely Equivalent  J Flacco

Comment: Riskiest choice in terms of bust potential, but tools to be an NFL star

5) Mason Rudolph

Floor: B Weeden

Ceiiling: Matt Stafford

Most Likely Equivalent: Dak Prescott

Comment:: Overlooked prospect.

6) Baker Mayfield

Floor:  Johnny Manziel

Ceiling: D Brees

Most Likely Equivalent:  Case Keenum

Comment: Has upside, but concerns over size and desire for celebrity status overshadow productivity and "swag"

7) K Lauletta

Floor: Standard Backup with not enough arm to hold NFL starter job (high quality career back up)

Ceiling: M Ryan

Most Likely Equivalent: M Schaub+

Comment: Most accurate passer in draft.  if only he had enough arm strength.

Looks like u worked very hard on this but comps are pretty outlandish. 

Darnold upside Luck

Lamar upside Vick

Rosen = Ryan

Mason = Cousins 

15 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would make Lamar Jacksons floor and equivalent the same player, JaMarcus Russell.

I thought I'd seen some ignorant comments here, but that's pretty damn ignorant. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched every snap of every top QB prospect from this draft including Lamar Jackson

He is very gifted but has a way to go before becoming a good NFL passer consistently...

He tends to float deep balls which he will need to clean up at the NFL level... safeties will eat it up

people always compare him to Vick but he's not Vick... I was fortunate to see Vick in college live and Lamar and they aren't the same... Michael also played under center at Tech and he had the quickest delivery I've ever seen. He had great mechanics and the ball left Michaels hand like no other 

He had tons of personal problems but his skill was top notch hence going #1... I may be wrong but my eyes do not see the same arm talent between Vick and Jackson

From what little I can recall, Vick had by far better passing mechanics in college.  But people forget the most he ever passed for was just over 2000 yds - only 1200 yds his final year.

I could be mistaken, but I think Jackson may be ahead of where Vick was with understanding progressions and staying with the play.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yes I know...it was a 3rd which was surprising......the kid gets a fresh start and McBeane gets a 3rd....hence win-win IMO..............

No doubt. I consider that pick a 2nd being the 1st pick in the 3rd rd.  Makes me feel even better about it,

• Like (+1) 1

I thought this was interesting so I did some research and came up with a few of my own.  Including Mason Rudolph here as I think he is a legitimate late 1st to 2nd round prospect.

Josh Allen

Ceiling: Joe Flacco

Floor: Drew Stanton

Sam Darnold

Ceiling: Matt Stafford

Floor: Mark Sanchez

Josh Rosen

Ceiling: Jameis Winton

Floor: Deshone Kizer

Baker Mayfield

Ceiling: Andy Dalton

Floor: Brandon Weeden

Mason Rudolph

Ceiling: Matt Ryan

Floor: Mike Glennon

Lamar Jackson

Ceiling: Tyrod Taylor

Floor: RGIII

20 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I doubt anyone here knows the "floor" or "ceiling" for any of these players...what nonsense.

I also doubt anyone here knows where, or when someone is going to be drafted.  It is however nice to talk about these things and give opinions, kind of the point of a message board, or am I wrong? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought I'd seen some ignorant comments here, but that's pretty damn ignorant. 

From what little I can recall, Vick had by far better passing mechanics in college.  But people forget the most he ever passed for was just over 2000 yds - only 1200 yds his final year.

I could be mistaken, but I think Jackson may be ahead of where Vick was with understanding progressions and staying with the play.

That is a valid point but Vick Also only had 180 and 160 passing attempts those years... Lamar had 247 Attempts as a freshman , 409 and then 430

he attempted way more passes that Vick yearly...

Vicks yards per attempt as a Freshman was a staggering 11.3

I'm going to catch some heat for a couple of these, but that's ok.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I thought this was interesting so I did some research and came up with a few of my own.  Including Mason Rudolph here as I think he is a legitimate late 1st to 2nd round prospect.

Josh Allen

Ceiling: Joe Flacco

Floor: Drew Stanton

Sam Darnold

Ceiling: Matt Stafford

Floor: Mark Sanchez

Josh Rosen

Ceiling: Tom Brady

Floor: Sam Bradford

Baker Mayfield

Ceiling: Russell Wilson

Floor: Brandon Weeden