Interesting Trade-Down Scenario

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I never understand this thinking. If a player isn't good, why draft him at all? A bust is a bust in any round. The whole reach-vs-value thing is a game draft geeks play that is essentially meaningless when it comes to winning football games.... which is what we are trying to do here.

I don’t want to draft Rudolph...I was just experimenting with various scenarios. I’d rather draft a Lauletta later. I was just doing what I think the Bills would do if they did trade down.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Then there’s the other side. Same people who told us such things as:

”All EJ needs is more time.”

”Keep Whaley, it’s not his fault.”

”Great move putting Marv in charge, he”ll turn this around.”

”Russ is a genius.”

”Ralph’s forgotten more than you’ll ever know about football.”

and my favorite, 

”Just be happy you still have a team.”

There’s plenty of reasons why, after all these years, the majority is farting in their general direction.

DARE TO BE GREAT, McBEANE!

"The other side" said all those things and every last one agreed on all your "points?"  I doubt it.  Who is this majority you speak of and what are their talking points?   "DARE TO BE GREAT, MCBEANE!"?  Just like I said call out someone's manhood when logic fails to support your argument.

Lots of players that you drafted that have little shot to be there at the respective picks.   Looks ok on paper (if you can deal with using a 1st rd pick on Mason), but it’s just not going to happen.  Cool story though.....

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

So I've been doing a lot of mocks because I'm a loser with no life, and I've found what I think is an interesting opportunity should the first few picks of the draft decidedly DO NOT go the Bills' way.

The mocks I do allow trades, and I've found that when the worst happens and the Bills cannot trade-up into the top 6 - AND Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson are all picked in the first 6 or 7 picks, TRADING DOWN in the first round give us a QB AND some interesting picks. 

For example:

Bills Picks

Picks: 1:22 1:23 2:11 2:21 2:23 3:1 3:32 4:21 5:29 6:13
Pick Player Pos College
1:22 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma St.
1:23 Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
2:11 Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.
2:21 Sam Hubbard EDGE Ohio St.
2:23 Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech
3:1 D.J. Moore WR Maryland
3:32 Mason Cole C Michigan
4:21 Deon Cain WR Clemson
5:29 Tony Brown CB Alabama
6:13 Davin Bellamy EDGE GeorgiaTrades

trades:

Acquired via (NE): 1:23, 2:11

Traded away: 1:12

Now, I'm not saying this is the best draft, and I doubt we would ever make a trade with the Patriots, but this is just one draft that allows the Bills to still get a QB this draft while filling other roster spots. You can see that we traded 12 to the Pats for their first and #43. Not bad. We still pick the last remaining "top 6" QB, as well as getting some really great help in other spots. 

Here's another example:

Pick Player Pos College
1:25 Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
2:23 James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
2:25 D.J. Moore WR Maryland
3:1 Malik Jefferson LB Texas
3:25 Brian O'Neill OT Pitt
3:32 Fred Warner LB Brigham Young
5:29 Kameron Kelly CB San Diego St.
6:13 Brian Allen G Michigan St.
Acquired Via Traded Away
1:25, 2:25, 3:25 TEN 1:12

We traded down with TENN for what you see above. 

Anyway....if our wanted QBs are all gone - and we aren't going to reach for an Allen or Rudolph at 12, it wouldn't be horrible totrade down 12 and pick up more picks. 

Fun to consider for sure.

Thanks for posting this.

Some folks have said no way Bills trade back from 12.

But depending on a number of factors, It should be on the table for Beanes.
 and you make it look appetizing honestly.

If you are a Loser, you are certainly  a lovable one ;)

ps Getting the Patriot trade looks sweet

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I find it hard to believe the Bills would find someone willing to move up to 12.

unless they were using it as trade value to create another package ?

I am of the same or similar thinking as Rootabaga ^^

I would love if they can trade up swap to 7 or 8 for a 2nd #53 and 3rd next yr . Then turn around and trade our #22 for 33 & 35 from Cleveland.  That's leaves us with

#7 Mayfield  QB 

#33 Rashaan Evans MLB

#35 Sony Michel RB

#55 Harrison Phillips DT

#65 Mike Gieski TE

#96 James Washington WR

#121 Dante Pettis WR

#166 Shaq Griffen WLB

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

So I've been doing a lot of mocks because I'm a loser with no life, and I've found what I think is an interesting opportunity should the first few picks of the draft decidedly DO NOT go the Bills' way.

The mocks I do allow trades, and I've found that when the worst happens and the Bills cannot trade-up into the top 6 - AND Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson are all picked in the first 6 or 7 picks, TRADING DOWN in the first round give us a QB AND some interesting picks. 

For example:

Bills Picks

Picks: 1:22 1:23 2:11 2:21 2:23 3:1 3:32 4:21 5:29 6:13
Pick Player Pos College
1:23 Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
2:11 Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.
2:23 Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech
3:1 D.J. Moore WR Maryland
3:32 Mason Cole C Michigan
5:29 Tony Brown CB Alabama
6:13 Davin Bellamy EDGE GeorgiaTrades

trades:

Acquired via (NE): 1:23, 2:11

Traded away: 1:12

Now, I'm not saying this is the best draft, and I doubt we would ever make a trade with the Patriots, but this is just one draft that allows the Bills to still get a QB this draft while filling other roster spots. You can see that we traded 12 to the Pats for their first and #43. Not bad. We still pick the last remaining "top 6" QB, as well as getting some really great help in other spots. 

Here's another example:

Pick Player Pos College
1:25 Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
2:23 James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
2:25 D.J. Moore WR Maryland
3:1 Malik Jefferson LB Texas
3:25 Brian O'Neill OT Pitt
3:32 Fred Warner LB Brigham Young
5:29 Kameron Kelly CB San Diego St.
6:13 Brian Allen G Michigan St.
Acquired Via Traded Away
1:25, 2:25, 3:25 TEN 1:12

We traded down with TENN for what you see above. 

Anyway....if our wanted QBs are all gone - and we aren't going to reach for an Allen or Rudolph at 12, it wouldn't be horrible totrade down 12 and pick up more picks. 

How dare you aid the Pats in any way.:angry:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would love if they can trade up swap to 7 or 8 for a 2nd #53 and 3rd next yr . Then turn around and trade our #22 for 33 & 35 from Cleveland.  That's leaves us with

#7 Mayfield  QB 

#33 Rashaan Evans MLB

#35 Sony Michel RB

#55 Harrison Phillips DT

#65 Mike Gieski TE

#96 James Washington WR

#121 Dante Pettis WR

#166 Shaq Griffen WLB

I like it

Rudolph goes top 20...

Vander Esch goes top 20...

Simple reason why... QBs always get over drafted. Rudolph is a late first guy. He goes early cause a team won’t gamble on him getting to 28, 29 etc.

Vander Esch same deal. 6’4” 255 height weight speed guy. These guys don’t come around but every 5-10 years. He’s a 20-25 pick guy.  But a team who lives him will take him around 15.

I know folks aren’t gonna like this but I’d like to grab Rudolph at 12, yeah it’s early But it take the gamble out of the equation. Then trade 22 and 56 to get up to pick 15/16 and grab Vander Esch. That’s if Green Bay doesn’t grab him at 14.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1