Video of Kelly being drafted by bills

4 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :thumbdown:

Here comes the hate for me.  I love Jim Kelly, but Marino was the greatest QB of all time.

49 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

would have played 20 years in today's NFL.

Kelly didn't retire due to injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I know most of you know the story, but with all the QB talk bout the upcoming draft, let's reminisce about our greatest qb of all time.

He jumped for joy, because he wasn't drafted by buffalo with 12th pick in 83' draft. 2 picks later, his worst nightmare became reality. 

For those that have not seen this video, check it out. Us fans almost never got to know Kelly if it wasn't for USFL ending and a smooth $8,000,000. 

7.5 million and at the time I believe the richest contract in NFL history.

i think that they had made OJ the richest contract, as well, in the 70s.  $837,000 per year is sticking in my head.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

he was the better QB, without question.

Yes, he was a steal at 28.

However, the thing you have to ask yourself, Joe, is would he have been a better QB in a Bills uniform?

i honestly believe if it had been reversed Kelly would have put up similar numbers in Miami, and probably would have played in the NFL longer than his 11 years both at the beginning and at the end.  Sure as hell would have been in Miami in 83, 84 and 85.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

First of all who in their right mind drafts a tight end when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino are still on the board. It's kind of crazy to think about that we actually could have drafted Jim Kelly and Dan Marino with 12 and 14th pick

Edited by PIP

That's funny when he asks whether you would rather be in Houston or Buffalo, as if it's an obvious choice. Don't get me wrong, Buffalo has its flaws, but I think I would rather be ANYWHERE but the redneck swamp of Houston! 

• Like (+1) 1

Check out the TD pass he makes for Houston starting at 3:42 of the video. No wonder that league didn't last, stands are almost empty. Compare that with the game day crowd of what I'm guessing was his first home game for the Bills starting at 4:15.

11 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So true

Any tiny portion of the fan base still salty he adamantly didn't want to play for buff? He could have never played for the bills if that league lasted.idk before my time but I can take off field fun, on field showboating, not caring a lick about the showboating (heck I love Jonny). But not going to the team that drafted you because it's too cold is not cool.not even a maturity thing. I played every sport in the cold all the darn time. It's called loving the sport.

Whatever, just thought that was lame. Obviously he's among the Bills GOATs and a great guy, and lover of buffalo to boot. No salt from me.

While going to Houston was a nice bonus for JK, make no mistake, the real reason he didn't sign with Buffalo was money, not the weather. Having not only been given his choice of teams (cities) by the USFL, his 5 year Houston contract contained escalators that guaranteed him to be the highest paid quarterback in professional football each of those years. 

That's why he dissed Buffalo.

Edited by Tuco

10 hours ago, mileena said:

No, he has an all star with Houston in 1983. So we lost an all star player for 3 years. Just like Marino was an early star in Miami.

Marino was even a better steal at #28.

27th actually, but yes he was. 

15 minutes ago, Tuco said:

While going to Houston was a nice bonus for JK, make no mistake, the real reason he didn't sign with Buffalo was money, not the weather. Having not only been given his choice of teams (cities) by the USFL, his 5 year Houston contract contained escalators that guaranteed him to be the highest paid quarterback in professional football each of those years. 

That's why he dissed Buffalo.

A few things to add here.

Kelly had severe shoulder separation in his senior season at the U and he needed pins inserted to keep it together. His doctors told him he might not ever have a full throwing motion again and this is a big reason as to why he dropped to #14 otherwise he fights Elway for that #1 spot IMHO. Just think if not for that injury Kansas City might have drafted Kelly instead of Blackledge. 

On another note, it was rumored that Dan Marino was a party animal at Pitt and he smoked weed. This rumor caused him to fall big time. Otherwise, he doesn't drop to #27 and the Patriots or NY Jets could have drafted Marino.

Bills fans need to understand what it was like with Bills owner Ralph Wilson back in the late 1970s, early 1980s with a #1 overall pick in the 1979 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills picked LBer Tom Cousineau and instead he chose to go to Canada rather than play for Buffalo.

The thing is, Buffalo had a complete moron for a GM in Stew Barber at that time and he set up a dinner in Buffalo with Cousineau and his agent and then never showed up. This was the start of bad negotiations and the financial difference came down to 100k. Needless to say that Clouseau was so put off by Barber and his antics he went to play for the Montreal Alouettes.

Jim Kelly saw all this and knew about the Buffalo Bills owners cantankerous, frugal nature and he didn't want to play in obscurity all his career in Buffalo. Which BTW was entering a mass exodus as the city was losing jobs due to the steel mills closing. Speaking of this the city had this color and stench in the air from the Mills. Don't forget this about the same time the love canal hits the national media. Buffalo was the very last place so many NFL players wanted to play for back then.

Bills fans should be so very grateful to Bill Polian who talked Wilson into making Kelly the highest paid QB in the league otherwise he might have held out for a trade. Back then, Raiders owner Al Davis sent Kelly to England with some Raiderettes in hopes of getting Kelly to ask for a trade. 

Let's not forget that the Buffalo Bills had traded "the fireman" QB Daryl Lamonica to the Raiders back in 1967 and he won some games for the Raiders. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PIP said:

First of all who in their right mind drafts a tight end when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino are still on the board. It's kind of crazy to think about that we actually could have drafted Jim Kelly and Dan Marino with 12 and 14th pick

If they had done that and Kelly bolts to the USFL and Marino doesn't.  We probably trade Kelly after the league folds.  We also likely never finish low enough to take Bruce in 85.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was a blessing in disguise as we probably don't get Bruce Smith with the 1st pick in the '85 draft (Bills went 2-14).  We also were able to get Kent Hull out of the USFL.  Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed wouldn't have been there either with Kelly in '83.

I always found it a little odd growing up near Pittsburgh that he was that adverse to playing in cold weather cities.  Especially for how tough of a football player he was.  He definitely did a lot of growing up as his career went on and life humbled him pretty quickly with his son and now the repeated bouts of cancer.

I used to feel the same way until I moved to SWFL. Sunshine and beautiful women. Why waste your 20s in Buffalo NY when you can party it up and chase women around warmer places, like south Florida, California, Dallas, etc. And he’s rich thanks to playing in the NFL. Why waste that in a dying city?