Mason Rudolph to Have Pre-Draft Visit With the Bills

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

25/38 282 0/0... not an ideal game but also not necessarily struggling.

Rudolph absolutely needed to display better anticipation, but it's also Gundy's offense that predicates the reads and where to go with the ball. Very similar to the offense Baker ran.

That being said, like Big Ben you can take someone like Rudolph and work them from game manager to legit big time QB.

Sure he had the yards, but I'm looking at plays where he either didn't throw it and took the sack or he did throw it and because the coverage was what it was the WR had no chance.  I'd be happy to have a good dialogue about prospects like Rudolph.  I don't think he's bad, but I don't know where to place him either.  Maybe it wasn't the Texas game.  Let me go back and pull up the videos.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rudolph played with Washington and Ateman as his WRs.  Where's the merit in your disagreement?

Bingo!

Rosen played with Jordan Lasley. The Oline is what matters. Rosen played with better Oline, TE, RB and defense. UCLA gets players drafted higher in every year Rosen's been with UCLA.

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know you do a significant amount of study so I value your feedback. So I'll ask, how much better is he in your estimation? Does he move the needle? Is he that significant of an upgrade that we need to go and draft him the first round. To me these guys are both middle pack, possibly average to below average starters. 

He is not a first round talent. 

I think he is a significant upgrade over McCarron though in fairness I have limited exposure to McCarron. I just think if McCarron starts all season based on what I have seen then the Bills will do well to go 6-10.  I absolutely want one of the top guys but I don't think not taking a Quarterback is an option, so if you can't get one of the top 3 in my mind (I don't like Allen) then you have to take Rudolph or Jackosn.  I think we have next to nothing at the position.  A dead swan would be an upgrade on Nathan Peterman.  How that man ever got drafted in the 5th round remains a mystery to me.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

25/38 282 0/0... not an ideal game but also not necessarily struggling.

Rudolph absolutely needed to display better anticipation, but it's also Gundy's offense that predicates the reads and where to go with the ball. Very similar to the offense Baker ran.

That being said, like Big Ben you can take someone like Rudolph and work them from game manager to legit big time QB.

Yeah it was Texas

For the most part I like his posture and his feet are not necessarily bad, but when the Longhorns ran tight man he struggled.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Rosen played with Jordan Lasley. The Oline is what matters. Rosen played with better Oline, TE, RB and defense. UCLA gets players drafted higher in every year Rosen's been with UCLA.

Where is the top end talent you keep referring to?  http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=U&collegeName=UCLA&abbrFlag=0&type=school

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a significant upgrade over McCarron though in fairness I have limited exposure to McCarron. I just think if McCarron starts all season based on what I have seen them the Bills will do well to go 6-10.  I absolutely want one of the top guys but i don't think not taking a Quarterback is an option.  I think we have next to nothing at the position.  A dead swan would be an upgrade on Nathan Peterman.  How that man ever got drafted in the 5th round remains a mystery to me.  

I completely agree that's why I said QB is a problem area of the Bills and it has to get fixed.  Ideally, they also need a guy they can plug in at RG and RT too along with a WR.  But it's just too much to fix in this draft because MLB is also a problem that needs to get fixed.  QB is priority #1 and to me OL and MLB are #2.

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Sure he had the yards, but I'm looking at plays where he either didn't throw it and took the sack or he did throw it and because the coverage was what it was the WR had no chance.  I'd be happy to have a good dialogue about prospects like Rudolph.  I don't think he's bad, but I don't know where to place him either.  Maybe it wasn't the Texas game.  Let me go back and pull up the videos.

No, believe me it goes beyond just the raw stats, that I agree with.

There were plays were Rudolph had a chance to show he has NFL style anticipation and willingness to make tight window throws.

Texas schemes perfectly to try and limit Rudolph.

Same could be said for Kansas State.

However, its these types of things that keep us from talking about Rudolph as a top ten spec. If they kid was more polished in certain areas this is a vastly different discussion.

Point being, I dont see his floor being that low based on his attributes. Rudolph's ceiling isn't all high either but...

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Yeah it was Texas

For the most part I like his posture and his feet are not necessarily bad, but when the Longhorns ran tight man he struggled.

First off, thank you for posting the video its def worth watching.

Secondly, to me a lot of the blame here falls on Gundy for not making adjustments. Clearly his WRs were not getting open and Rudolph is reluctant to fire the ball into coverage like that.

The same thing most Bill's fans defend Tyrod for is what we seem to be bashing Rudolph for now.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=O&collegeName=Oklahoma+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

4 drafted players for OK State in the time Rudolph's been there. Zero olinemen. Zero WR. Rosen plays with far more talent and he wins nothing. 13 drafted players since Rosen been the started at UCLA including 2 OTs and 6 offensive players overall.

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=O&collegeName=Oklahoma+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

4 drafted players for OK State in the time Rudolph's been there. Zero olinemen. Zero WR. Rosen plays with far more talent and he wins nothing. 13 drafted players since Rosen been the started at UCLA including 2 OTs and 6 offensive players overall.

Both of Rudolph's WRs will be drafted this season and play in the NFL. 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a reason McCarron never beat him out.  

this drives me nuts! why can't people get it through their heads that THERE WAS NEVER GOING TO BE A COMPETITION FOR THE STARTING JOB!  dalton was their franchise qb...who they were paying as such...who pretty consistently had them in the post season...and there was a coaching/management loyalty to him.

it's been broadcasted time and again by interviews with people there with close knowledge of the team.

ajm is no slouch. he is going to surprise some people and open some eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Both of Rudolph's WRs will be drafted this season and play in the NFL. 

Rosen plays with far more talent. And he wins nothing. Make any excuse you want but those are the facts. Rosen will get a LT, C, WR drafted this year. Rosen gets far more time to throw because he's always playing with superior Olinemen.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Rosen plays with far more talent. And he wins nothing. Make any excuse you want but those are the facts. Rosen will get a LT, C, WR drafted this year. Rosen gets far more time to throw because he's always playing with superior Olinemen.

That same superior O Line that let he get mollywhopped multiple times resulting in concussions?

19 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Yeah it was Texas

We could also look at Rosen against Washington if we're going game by game.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

That same superior O Line that let he get mollywhopped multiple times resulting in concussions?

That's because he's injury prone and the concussion came when he was out of the pocket.

5 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

this drives me nuts! why can't people get it through their heads that THERE WAS NEVER GOING TO BE A COMPETITION FOR THE STARTING JOB!  dalton was their franchise qb...who they were paying as such...who pretty consistently had them in the post season...and there was a coaching/management loyalty to him.

it's been broadcasted time and again by interviews with people there with close knowledge of the team.

ajm is no slouch. he is going to surprise some people and open some eyes.

I will more than happily give you the props if that happens. My prediction is he will play a couple of steady eddie games early then teams will start game planning against him and he will be on the bench by week 6.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: What the heck did Mason Rudolph win?  With better talent I might add. 

johnny unitas golden arm award?

sammy baugh award?

led the nation no.1 in passing yds?

if he's good enough for pitt. / ne/ n.o   etc. to take in the 1st,  he's good enough for me to take ahead of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

No you just don't like facts.

Your assertion of more talent for UCLA isn't factual.  Rudolph also played in a junk system that inflates his numbers. Rosen is a pro style QB who is miles ahead from a mental and physical standpoint. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

johnny unitas golden arm award?

sammy baugh award?

led the nation no.1 in passing yds?

if he's good enough for pitt. / ne/ n.o   etc. to take in the 1st,  he's good enough for me to take ahead of them.

Who cares about College QB awards?  They means nothing regarding NFL potential. Absolutely zero!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas_Golden_Arm_Award

Winners[edit]

Year Player School Refs
1987 Don McPherson Syracuse  
1988 Rodney Peete USC  
1989 Tony Rice Notre Dame  
1990 Craig Erickson Miami  
1991 Casey Weldon Florida State  
1992 Gino Torretta Miami  
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State  
1994 Jay Barker Alabama  
1995 Tommie Frazier Nebraska