4-4: Sean McDermott on The Howard Eskin Podcast

https://omny.fm/shows/the-howard-eskin-podcast/sean-mcdermott-w-howard-eskin (21:51)

Second-year Bills head coach Sean McDermott joined 94WIP's Howard Eskin on his podcast. 

McDermott, 44, talked about his star running back and former Eagle LeSean McCoy, who he spent time with during his tenue in Philly. 

"Well he can certainly play and it's just neat to be around a young man, like LeSean," McDermott said. "To be able to watch him on a day-to-day basis, the way he has developed into one of our leaders and just grown as a man -- now with a family and everything. That's been part of the joys of coming to Buffalo and having the chance to work wit LeSean."

Eskin asked McDermott what comes first: culture or winning?

"Culture is huge," McDermott agreed. "I think that culture is laid first and then winning comes after that.

"Probably what a lot of the public didn't know, was that their culture was headed in the right direction," McDermott said of the Eagles. "I hope for our team, we can say the same. We were 9-7 in our first year."

McDermott also talked about Carson Wentz. 

"Very impressed watching [Wentz] on television, watching him work, and then support Nick [Foles] with everything.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-howard-eskin-podcast/sean-mcdermott-w-howard-eskin (21:51)

Second-year Bills head coach Sean McDermott joined 94WIP's Howard Eskin on his podcast. 

McDermott, 44, talked about his star running back and former Eagle LeSean McCoy, who he spent time with during his tenue in Philly. 

"Well he can certainly play and it's just neat to be around a young man, like LeSean," McDermott said. "To be able to watch him on a day-to-day basis, the way he has developed into one of our leaders and just grown as a man -- now with a family and everything. That's been part of the joys of coming to Buffalo and having the chance to work wit LeSean."

Eskin asked McDermott what comes first: culture or winning?

"Culture is huge," McDermott agreed. "I think that culture is laid first and then winning comes after that.

"Probably what a lot of the public didn't know, was that their culture was headed in the right direction," McDermott said of the Eagles. "I hope for our team, we can say the same. We were 9-7 in our first year."

McDermott also talked about Carson Wentz. 

"Very impressed watching [Wentz] on television, watching him work, and then support Nick [Foles] with everything.

The coach didn't reveal anything that we didn't know. But what this interview underscores is that when he was interviewed by Terry Pegula for the job the wrestling coach was ready to propose his vision how he would run a football operation. This vision was less how he would coach Xs and Os but more about how he would assemble a roster and the type of players he wanted and how he would manage the cap. Clearly, he impressed the owner because he handed the keys to the wrestling coach and took them away from the GM who was on the job. Based on the job that he did last year whatever moves McBeane makes they will get the benefit of the doubt from me. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sean is dull is as ditch water when he talks. Brandon Beane tells you things without meaning to. Sean gives you nothing. 

You bring up an interesting question: What coach is worth listening to? What coach speaks lucidly without resorting to indecipherable cliché riddled coach speak. Belicheck gives you a short burst of mumblings with an insulting attitude of what am I doing taking questions from you idiots. It's a standard expectation for the parties involved that there will be little content because the coach is entering the interview with no intent to say anything that is revealing. And that is understood by those doing the interview. 

The HC who when interviewed on his regular weekly WGR segment who was the most maddening was Doug Marrone. What was irritating about him was not what he said but the attitude of superiority and condescension  that he exuded in the interview. He was a decent coach but his arrogance was insufferable to take. At least with McDermott there is a civility and courteousness that existed that wasn't present when Marrone had the mike. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You bring up an interesting question: What coach is worth listening to? What coach speaks lucidly without resorting to indecipherable cliché riddled coach speak. Belicheck gives you a short burst of mumblings with an insulting attitude of what am I doing taking questions from you idiots. It's a standard expectation for the parties involved that there will be little content because the coach is entering the interview with no intent to say anything that is revealing. And that is understood by those doing the interview. 

The HC who when interviewed on his regular weekly WGR segment who was the most maddening was Doug Marrone. What was irritating about him was not what he said but the attitude of superiority and condescension  that he exuded in the interview. He was a decent coach but his arrogance was insufferable to take. At least with McDermott there is a civility and courteousness that existed that wasn't present when Marrone had the mike. 

Oh I'm not complaining.  I don't mind him being dull and giving nothing away as long as he is courteous and polite and I agree with you that he normally is. Rex's pressers were entertaining.... but I would not want him as my Head Coach.  I just think Beane tries to play the same give nothing away game as coach.... he just isn't as good at it. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Bill Belichick outside of normal pressers is a fantastic listen.  Anytime he starts talking about the finer points of the game he really opens up.  Him at pressers answering mundane questions vs. him answering actual football questions is night and day.

This is a pretty good article about it

He is very interesting and open if the right questions are asked.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Bill Belichick outside of normal pressers is a fantastic listen.  Anytime he starts talking about the finer points of the game he really opens up.  Him at pressers answering mundane questions vs. him answering actual football questions is night and day.

This is a pretty good article about it

He is very interesting and open if the right questions are asked.

Belichick is probably the smartest coach in the game. He was an economic major at Wesleyan Univ. His father who coached at the Naval Academy was very influential at how he approached the game. I didn't want to suggest that the most successful HC in the history of the modern NFL was a dullard and doesn't have much to say. That is far off the mark. But in a league setting where it is mandatory to give interviews regarding his team and his opponent he has developed his own schtick of brief monotone responses that say little.