What would you grade the 2017 draft?

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's cool though because we got a quarterback with guts and fearlessness in Peterman.

I like Peterman; I haven't made it my personal crusade to knock him. 

To my point, this was a team that was clearly looking to get another QB through the draft after the 2017 season. Seems like a good idea if that was the case, to get the best QB that they could have gotten. 

I think it's fair to say that in the least, you'd have to agree with me that they didn't. I can't give a good "grade" to a FO that traded away from Watson/Mahomes and was considering moving up to Trubisky and instead drafted Peterman. Not sure how you square yourself with that, but not concerned with your thoughts either.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:06 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I know these guys were rookies and jury is still out so pls don't bash me on my opinion, I'd like to know what TBD thinks in general. But how do you think FO did one year out from the 2017 draft?

Trading down for Tre White? Perfect pick right thurr. 

I fear Zay is a bust

Dion Dawkins was another great pick. Great value really. Anybody know the learning curve for O linemen in the NFL? He was a decent starter as a rookie so I'd imagine he could be a rock on the line for a long time. But if O linemen come come in NFL ready and he doesn't improve I'd just call him mediocre. But still. Great value.

Matt Milano could be a steal. I admit he might be over hyped on this board since we saw so little of him until late season. But I'll say good player, phenomenal value.

Peterman could be a solid backup, great value again there. I love his rebound from the Chargers game, just having that amnesia mentality. he played as well as any backup could otherwise and did so as a rookie quarterback. No small feat. That said he was dumb as dirt against the chargers.

I don't even know if Tanner Vallejo is on the team. Someone enlighten me. Whatever, late round pick.

I grade it A+. We didn't have many picks but all the rookies contributed. I think the late round value we got and especially Tre White alone overshadows Zay potentially being a big miss.

6 picks, 4 starters, one showing potential to be an all pro, and a first rounder next season.

That’s not a bad haul. Zay needs to get better for it to be A+ for me. 

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Why are you so mad all the time

He can certainly dish it

haha right?

HE was the reason I finally said screw it and started posting. He said something so totally off the wall it actually motivated me to participate. 

I guess, for that Im thankful in that regard bc I've been lucky enough to partake in many great convos and discussions I wouldnt have had otherwise.

That aside, when someone starts incorporating the question "am I being punked?" into their posts that are supposed to be funny/snide/aggressive  - it gives me pause.

The whole issue is trying to find whatever page he is on and stay there long enough to have a conversation. If trying to make me look silly by asking a question that I havent heard anyone talk about in 15 years as a reference point - maybe thats the issue. Maybe I cant figure out what page he is on bc hes simply just that far behind.

Honest question @PetermanThrew5Picks .... and I'm not asking you to choose a side or anything... but the aforementioned plan I spoke of....

Isnt that a display of foresight and planning? Knowing a qb rich class was coming and he would have HIS GM by then, kicking the can and adding a pick (regardless of how this plays out now) to put them in position to draft a guy the two of them deem a potential FQB - that could be argued as having a thought out plan with reasoning followed by execution right?

Just making sure this isnt 4DChess here and its my bad for not explaining this clearly

I still cant figure out what this guy talking about passing on talent and Andrew Luck and Ray Lewis??

Thanks!!

Edited by gobills1212

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

haha right?

HE was the reason I finally said screw it and started posting. He said something so totally off the wall it actually motivated me to participate. 

I guess, for that Im thankful in that regard bc I've been lucky enough to partake in many great convos and discussions I wouldnt have had otherwise.

That aside, when someone starts incorporating the question "am I being punked?" into their posts that are supposed to be funny/snide/aggressive  - it gives me pause.

The whole issue is trying to find whatever page he is on and stay there long enough to have a conversation. If trying to make me look silly by asking a question that I havent heard anyone talk about in 15 years as a reference point - maybe thats the issue. Maybe I cant figure out what page he is on bc hes simply just that far behind.

Honest question @PetermanThrew5Picks .... and I'm not asking you to choose a side or anything... but the aforementioned plan I spoke of....

Isnt that a display of foresight and planning? Knowing a qb rich class was coming and he would have HIS GM by then, kicking the can and adding a pick (regardless of how this plays out now) to put them in position to draft a guy the two of them deem a potential FQB - that could be argued as having a thought out plan with reasoning followed by execution right?

Just making sure this isnt 4DChess here and its my bad for not explaining this clearly

I still cant figure out what this guy talking about passing on talent and Andrew Luck and Ray Lewis??

Thanks!!

I don't usually delve into long arguments,

But tyrod's friend has a funny habit of saying something stupid and then attacking people for arguing as if they said something stupid. I have the perfect example I'll pm you a picture of an attack he had in a sec.

but yep that's a relatively long term plan I respect that. People diss Whaley for having no plan but he did. A short term win now plan is still a plan and I liked that as well. It's execution that matters.

I like a draft where we fill in any holes and get great players out of it. You can play the "we could have gotten this guy!" Game all day. It doesn't matter we just need to get guys that play well for us and fill a hole. Yes QB is a hole but so is ILB. A hit is a hit it's not like non QBs can't be busts either

I'm getting tired of hearing the word 4d chess. Stop saying fetch, fetch isn't going to happen folks. There's already plenty of idioms with that "4D" chess meeting.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1