I looked at my college yearbook last night

For the moment I will be a little guarded as to where but will say it was a junior college in the region and the time was at some point during the 1980's.   The main theme for this post is maybe I am at a little more peace as far as what transpired in the past.  I used to second guess my curriculum choice a fair amount but now accept it was something I wanted to do for the sake of learning versus being a high salary generator.   Second, people sure dressed shabbily  when I think about it today even though the clothes were considered trendy for the day.  Third, I am grateful for the instructors even though a few were not perfect.  I had a falling out with a person I revered back then as this person in my mind got a little big for his pants years later.  Fourth, time can sure be a big equalizer.  There was a girl I liked back then and she thought she was too good for me at the time.  I saw her  maybe 15 years ago and she looked like she weighed 400 lbs which made me feel better about how things worked out.  But in keeping with the spirit of the thread today I see her as just another person with human failings just like everyone else myself included.  Last, for the start of this thread.  There are certain people I miss but glad that socially I did not peak during college.

Edited by RochesterRob

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

College yearbooks?   Are those from back in the day when Gugny swam naked with his classmates in gym class?

every school has one, even if most people attending don't know it does

Interesting timing. Just last night I was texting with a couple old college buddies and one started tossing in a bunch of old photos. What a cool peak back in time! This was late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, long before everyone had a phone and took pics of everything. I’m glad he carried a camera around with him, even if I’m sure there are some pics I’d like burned! 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Interesting timing. Just last night I was texting with a couple old college buddies and one started tossing in a bunch of old photos. What a cool peak back in time! This was late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, long before everyone had a phone and took pics of everything. I’m glad he carried a camera around with him, even if I’m sure there are some pics I’d like burned! 

Interesting that you mention photos.  I never had a dorm or curriculum mate take pictures but always thought my yearbook and dorm pic were not flattering.  Last night I felt a little better about all that.  I can remember faces and buildings fairly well so there is that.  I have to be fairly careful as to what stories I relay just in case an old dorm mate or classmate is on here.  For one I always seemed to draw girls that came with complications.  

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Interesting that you mention photos.  I never had a dorm or curriculum mate take pictures but always thought my yearbook and dorm pic were not flattering.  Last night I felt a little better about all that.  I can remember faces and buildings fairly well so there is that.  I have to be fairly careful as to what stories I relay just in case an old dorm mate or classmate is on here.  For one I always seemed to draw girls that came with complications.  

One thing that jumped out at me - we were all a lot younger 40 years ago! Who knew? 

My wife was the yearbook editor for a few years at the High School where she works.  Many people didn’t see the point. They all have pictures on their phones, and on Facebook, etc.  Her comeback was to point out that in twenty years or more, those pictures will be lost. They really need something tangible to hold onto if they want to save the memories.

• Like (+1) 1

I recently dug out a scrapbook and VHS tape of games from 3 decades ago for our very good hoops team.

Most of my teammates enjoyed a pdf of the book and we are planning a reunion of sorts to watch the last 5 games at regional and provincial championships sometime this year.

9 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife was the yearbook editor for a few years at the High School where she works.  Many people didn’t see the point. They all have pictures on their phones, and on Facebook, etc.  Her comeback was to point out that in twenty years or more, those pictures will be lost. They really need something tangible to hold onto if they want to save the memories.

And something composed as in a book!

I founded Mead college in 1973.   Awesome college.  Unfortunately I had to shut it down in 1978 the year I got married.  Wish I had keep it going.  Meadcoin and meadazon would be world famous now. 

I founded Mead Colorado when I was young.  

https://livability.com/co/mead

We had some problems with Meadphone in the mid 70s. Just could not get the phone wires to stretch hundreds of miles. 

Mead Wine was a huge hit along with meadpaper products. 

We had plans for Mead self driving cars but someone broke in and stole all my drawings.  

Edited by mead107

Thank god for the HS yearbook photos. I had my 40th HS reunion in 2015. Some people looked the same  (with age of course) but some I did not recognize except for  our name tags with our photos on them.

One guy  recognized me  and said " You don't recognize me do you?"  He was a friend I had hung around with in HS and a few years after, I hadn't;t seen him in maybe 20 years.  Back then he had a nice full head of red hair. Now he is bald and has a gray ZZ-Top style beard!