Conservative Propaganda on Local News

18 minutes ago, snafu said:

"You're an idiot" is more of a cudgel. Not much style to it.

No, it's not...but that's more shtick than an actual insult.  

Insulting someone who compares you to disco with a Stayin' Alive reference?  That's style.  Particularly when you type it with your pinky extended.

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

People still watch local newscasts?

John Oliver does, apparently.

Tomorrow, Jimmy Kimmel will do a special monologue on how he saw a commercial in LA for McDonalds, and then saw an almost identical commercial for McDonalds in Tampa, Florida.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

DL21NuCN_bigger.jpgStephen MillerVerified account @redsteeze 2h2 hours ago

Media: Trump’s tweets are a direct threat to journalism and the 1A institutions everywhere that are vital to a healthy Democracy

Democrat Senator: I want to use Congressional powers to Investigate Sinclair media’s private editorial decisions

Same Media: < cricket sound >

15 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Thank you for this explanation.  Had they added a simple disclaimer at the beginning all of this could have been avoided.  That being said, don't you think it's almost become 'necessary' for these kinds of things in the 'news outlets' these days.  I don't think there is much of an argument that 'main stream media' is slanted against anything republican, not saying that these sinclair outlets aren't doing the same thing on the opposite side.  it frustrates me to no end that i have to read a headline, google it to see how many different ways its being 'reported' so i can see if i can get to the 'real truth'.  that's kind of why i lurk here, even if does go from extreme to extreme, there are 2 sides pointing out accuracies/inaccuracies on both sides and forces you not take what is being spoon fed as the truth

Poojer, your frustration is well-founded — there is more bunk than ever right now. There is an open "war" on "information." What's happening is we're seeing "truth" or "facts" being misconstrued as "subjective."

An apple is on the table. You say, this is an apple. They say, no, this is a banana. Don't believe what you hear about "apples" - who's telling you that? The apple tree? This is a banana. You say, an apple is an apple is an apple. They say, well that's just, like, your opinion, man. And I have a right to mine.

That pointless kind of debate isn't good for anyone. It's not a philosophical exercise, though it's presented as one. It's a deliberate attempt to discredit inconvenient truths. If everything is relative, then nothing is anything. Right? It's nihilism, ultimately.

My main recommendation is to not get your news primarily from TV, and to include The New York Times into your daily routine. I'm not saying to only read the Times, but to include it. As much as the Trump administration has sought to discredit "the failing New York Times" and I can understand why people would be reluctant to pay for subscriptions, when so many other sources are free online -- you get what you pay for. The NYT's record speaks for itself. I like subscribing anyway and reading a physical newspaper every morning. 

The Times recently started doing do a 30-minute podcast, every weekday, featuring an investigative report into an ongoing story. It's free here. 

Edited by LA Grant

11 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

People still watch local newscasts?

Yes, but it's been declining for decades as older people continue to eventually die.

pewchart.png?itok=6sIt8Cdu

Edited by Doc Brown

On 4/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

LA Asshat has no clue what this topic is really about or who it's aimed at. 

Spoken like a true trumpard. Good job. Your lack of intelligence really shines through. Not your fault. You didnt ask god for a single digit iq.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, DC Tom said:

No, it's not...but that's more shtick than an actual insult.  

Insulting someone who compares you to disco with a Stayin' Alive reference?  That's style.  Particularly when you type it with your pinky extended.

It was style until you had to point your own reference out. Now your just begging for pats on the back. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Poojer, your frustration is well-founded — there is more bunk than ever right now. There is an open "war" on "information." What's happening is we're seeing "truth" or "facts" being misconstrued as "subjective."

An apple is on the table. You say, this is an apple. They say, no, this is a banana. Don't believe what you hear about "apples" - who's telling you that? The apple tree? This is a banana. You say, an apple is an apple is an apple. They say, well that's just, like, your opinion, man. And I have a right to mine.

That pointless kind of debate isn't good for anyone. It's not a philosophical exercise, though it's presented as one. It's a deliberate attempt to discredit inconvenient truths. If everything is relative, then nothing is anything. Right? It's nihilism, ultimately.

My main recommendation is to not get your news primarily from TV, and to include The New York Times into your daily routine. I'm not saying to only read the Times, but to include it. As much as the Trump administration has sought to discredit "the failing New York Times" and I can understand why people would be reluctant to pay for subscriptions, when so many other sources are free online -- you get what you pay for. The NYT's record speaks for itself. I like subscribing anyway and reading a physical newspaper every morning. 

The Times recently started doing do a 30-minute podcast, every weekday, featuring an investigative report into an ongoing story. It's free here. 

The NYT has openly admitted to having left wing bias, are you gonna try to tell me that it doesn't show up in their news reporting?

Their "record" is built on decades when the current conversation should be based on recent history alone.  This isn't Ben Fine's NYT anymore.

Include it?  Sure, but let's not pretend that its "record" means anything anymore.

9 hours ago, LA Grant said:

That's not the issue.  More recent and relevant is the treatment of Facebook.  Pariah in the media today / media darling only a few months ago.  Also looks at coverage of Comey: hated scumbag when he hurt Clinton vs. bastion of society after Trump fired him. 

The mainstream media networks (including the NYTimes) have resorted to cherry-picking issues and flipping their coverage every time the narrative fails to suit their agenda.  It is left and right.  It is everyone -- print and broadcast and electronic.

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

That's not the issue.  More recent and relevant is the treatment of Facebook.  Pariah in the media today / media darling only a few months ago.  Also looks at coverage of Comey: hated scumbag when he hurt Clinton vs. bastion of society after Trump fired him. 

The mainstream media networks (including the NYTimes) have resorted to cherry-picking issues and flipping their coverage every time the narrative fails to suit their agenda.  It is left and right.  It is everyone -- print and broadcast and electronic.

i have read every issue of The Nation, New Republic and National Review for 35 years, expecting what I find in print every time, plus many other publications that have a liberal bias

New Republic used to have the best lower-high culture essays and reviews before it took a nosedive about a decade ago, now TLS and LRB and sometimes the NYROB are still standing

the mass media pretends it is unbiased and totally objective, like Red Sox fans telling me they can be fair in their comments on the Yankees

that's the problem....

1 hour ago, garybusey said:

It was style until you had to point your own reference out. Now your just begging for pats on the back. 

No, that was necessary setup for the "extended pinky" joke.

You really are a !@#$ing idiot.

@The Poojer

getting any information from @LA Grant is dangerous; he is truly among the lowest informed and the highest of dishonest on this board.  That he can complete a full sentence and structure a paragraph most of the time makes his argument seem intelligent or educated/researched. But, he's been proven a liar, proven dishonest and most off proven clueless to the ability to form a thought which is not of a narrative of an overlord or just plain lazy mindless dribble.

55 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Nobody laughed at your pathetic attempt at a joke. 

So?

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

@The Poojer

getting any information from @LA Grant is dangerous; he is truly among the lowest informed and the highest of dishonest on this board.  That he can complete a full sentence and structure a paragraph most of the time makes his argument seem intelligent or educated/researched. But, he's been proven a liar, proven dishonest and most off proven clueless to the ability to form a thought which is not of a narrative of an overlord or just plain lazy mindless dribble.

And he's an !@#$.