Conservative Propaganda on Local News

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Are you just waking up from a 50 year nap, Austin Powers-like?  Had to pee for a week and now you're just realizing that news stories are coordinated?  My gosh for as long as I can remember the MSM (networks, large cable outlets and large print media) have been reporting the same crap practically on the hour.  Some of it so obvious the talking points are word for word across multiple networks or in print.  Since most political media are left leaning, they haven't reported on their own lazy biases until the recent Sinclair example which tilts the other way. 

Heck, the AP and others push out stories and hundreds of outlets just regurgitate them. 

Everyone is selling the same fruits and vegetables, but some offer a slightly different mix based on their customers. 

But it's only good when the New York Times does it.  Because they don't do it so much.  Only other than for the most part.  Every other news outlet sucks. Geez, follow along.

19 hours ago, Wacka said:

Communist? Nazi?

I don't know. What would you call the belief system of wanting fair representation in shaping society? That's the form of government I'm advocating for, if you're paying attention.

Do you feel fairly represented? You might say yes, but you've only experienced what you've experienced. I might say no, but I've experienced the same representation. So how could either of us know any differently? Consider the average House Rep speaks for about 700,000 Americans. The cap was set in 1913, when the ratio was 1=2k. Other chambers of lower legislative houses in comparable countries have a much lower ratio. Americans are ironically among the worst represented in that sense. 

Combine this with gerrymandering, which has somehow just become accepted as a fact of life; consider the still, to this day, tons of questionable voter suppression laws or defacto laws. Increasing the amount of House Reps would help to eliminate things like that; it would help shake the crumbling two party system; you'd be more likely to see regular citizens running instead of political lifers or the politicians who are merely corporate lobbyists with government clearance.

It's ironic that increasing the size of the House would actually lead to the smaller government that conservatives supposedly prefer -- better representation leads to, y'know, "checks and balances" against corporations and deadlocked ideological battles. It would lead to better debate, and likely to more consensus-based solutions. It'd make it easier for Tasker or Rhino to run for office and have a legitimate chance. 

Tell me how that proposal is fascist. 

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

But it's only good when the New York Times does it.  Because they don't do it so much.  Only other than for the most part.  Every other news outlet sucks. Geez, follow along.

Can you name another source that is provably more consistently accurate? The Wall Street Journal maybe? The Tribune? AP? You tell me.

Edited by LA Grant

9 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Can you name another source that is provably more consistently accurate? The Wall Street Journal maybe? The Tribune? AP? You tell me.

Sinclair, obviously.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Are you just waking up from a 50 year nap, Austin Powers-like?  Had to pee for a week and now you're just realizing that news stories are coordinated?  My gosh for as long as I can remember the MSM (networks, large cable outlets and large print media) have been reporting the same crap practically on the hour.  Some of it so obvious the talking points are word for word across multiple networks or in print.  Since most political media are left leaning, they haven't reported on their own lazy biases until the recent Sinclair example which tilts the other way. 

Heck, the AP and others push out stories and hundreds of outlets just regurgitate them. 

Everyone is selling the same fruits and vegetables, but some offer a slightly different mix based on their customers. 

Sure, who can forget those famous instances of George Soros & Oprah buying up a bunch of Local News affiliates, then demanding they include "must-run" segments about how Clinton's Lewinsky scandal was actually an investigation into the Deep State vast right-wing conspiracy. Lol, can you imagine. The "vast conspiracy" was laughed off immediately, which is ironic as that claim has at least as much merit as Deep State conspiracy. 

Or remember that time when Obama had Beyonce & Jay-Z buy up a bunch of local newspapers to smear Donald Trump for spreading the birther conspiracy? Because I remember it being about the exact opposite of that -- cable media falling over themselves to discuss Obama's birth certificate or he's secretly an Islamic Muslim agent.

To which, again, all TV is hyperbolic and a production to varying degrees. Is there a line? At what point does it become unacceptable? Why are media conglomerates so acceptable? Especially if they are literally forcing "most-run" hardcore partisan stories, some as op-eds and some as stories mixed in with the rest, taking advantage of the trust the Local News reporter/station has built with their audience.  I guess I am struggling to understand why you think that's okay?

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Sinclair, obviously.

?

Okay that's good. But really though. Who?

Trusting a source is problematic because it limits personal responsibility. Sources which were trustworthy on Monday are often untrustworthy by Tuesday morning. If you don't do your due diligence every time because you "trust the source", then you're not being discerning enough.

It's not the source. It's not the organization. 

It's the article and the journalist. 

We are not in peacetime. This is a war. 

An information war. Outsourcing your discernment to "professionals" or "trusted sources" makes one an easy target.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Trusting a source is problematic because it limits personal responsibility. Sources which were trustworthy on Monday are often untrustworthy by Tuesday morning. If you don't do your due diligence every time because you "trust the source", then you're not being discerning enough.

It's not the source. It's not the organization. 

It's the article and the journalist. 

In principle, sure, but to a degree --because journalists/articles don't exist in vacuums. The organization matters, from newsrooms to NFL teams to anything in the world. If you are only focusing on the article & the journalist, you limit your view of the larger context. Ignoring the organization to only focus on the story sounds right, but it completely ignores the how and the why that shaped the story. The source matters.

Also. You've frequently cited Devin Nunes tweets, have you not?

48 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Bleacher report.  Pat Moran, Jason lacanfora, incarcerated Bob. Et al of Twitter world

You babbling buffoon. I need to go back to auto-replies to you.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Bleacher report.  Pat Moran, Jason lacanfora, incarcerated Bob. Et al of Twitter world

You babbling buffoon. I need to go back to auto-replies to you.

Anything besides joke answers?

11 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Anything besides joke answers?

This article is about the film. For the TV series, see Spaceballs: The Animated Series. For other uses, see Spaceball (disambiguation).
"Ludicrous speed" redirects here. For the Tesla vehicular mode, see Tesla Model S.
"Plaid speed" redirects here. For the Tesla vehicular mode, see Tesla Roadster (2020).
"Dark Helmet" redirects here. For the Venezuelan pitcher, see Alex Torres (baseball).

Spaceballs is a 1987 American comic science fictionfilm co-written, produced and directed by Mel Brooks. Starring Brooks, Bill Pullman, John Candy, and Rick Moranis, the film also features Daphne Zuniga, Dick Van Patten, and the voice of Joan Rivers. In addition to Brooks in a supporting role, the film also features Brooks regulars Dom DeLuise and Rudy De Luca in cameo appearances.

Just now, Boyst62 said:
This article is about the film. For the TV series, see Spaceballs: The Animated Series. For other uses, see Spaceball (disambiguation).
"Ludicrous speed" redirects here. For the Tesla vehicular mode, see Tesla Model S.
"Plaid speed" redirects here. For the Tesla vehicular mode, see Tesla Roadster (2020).
"Dark Helmet" redirects here. For the Venezuelan pitcher, see Alex Torres (baseball).

Spaceballs is a 1987 American comic science fictionfilm co-written, produced and directed by Mel Brooks. Starring Brooks, Bill Pullman, John Candy, and Rick Moranis, the film also features Daphne Zuniga, Dick Van Patten, and the voice of Joan Rivers. In addition to Brooks in a supporting role, the film also features Brooks regulars Dom DeLuise and Rudy De Luca in cameo appearances.

On second thought. Please put me on ignore, Boyst.

1 hour ago, LA Grant said:

On second thought. Please put me on ignore, Boyst.

Havana, ooh na-na (ay)
Half of my heart is in Havana, ooh-na-na (ay, ay)
He took me back to East Atlanta, na-na-na
Oh, but my heart is in Havana (ay)
There's somethin' 'bout his manners (uh huh)
Havana, ooh na-na (uh)
He didn't walk up with that "how you doin'?" (uh)
(When he came in the room)
He said there's a lot of girls I can do with (uh)
(But I can't without you)
I knew him forever in a minute (hey)
(That summer night in June)
And papa says he got malo in him (uh)
He got me feelin' like
Ooh-ooh-ooh, I knew it when I met him
I loved him when I left him
Got me feelin' like
Ooh-ooh-ooh, and then I had to tell him
I had to go, oh na-na-na-na-na
Havana, ooh na-na (ay, ay)
Half of my heart is in Havana, ooh-na-na (ay, ay)
He took

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Primary source material - in a thread about Nunes - is only a bad thing to asshats who continually miss the point in their eagerness to snipe. 

Of course, his idea of "primary source material" is whatever he pulls out of gary's hat...

12 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Primary source material - in a thread about Nunes - is only a bad thing to asshats who continually miss the point in their eagerness to snipe. 

Oh, but he’s wiping the floor with you. And all you can do is come back with details and facts? Obfuscation! [/Buseysbraintumorcauseshimtosnap]

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Oh, but he’s wiping the floor with you. And all you can do is come back with details and facts? Obfuscation! [/Buseysbraintumorcauseshimtosnap]

Take it easy on Gary & Grant. They found out that they both have identical IQ's of "69" but have enough differences that they have entered into a symbiotic relationship based on fulfilling each other's needs. It's sort of like when fornication meets up with pontification.

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Take it easy on Gary & Grant. They found out that they both have identical IQ's of "69" but have enough differences that they have entered into a symbiotic relationship based on fulfilling each other's needs. It's sort of like when fornication meets up with pontification.

"But together, we have an IQ of 138!"

"Uh...that's now how it works..."

"Yes it is!  We should know, because together we're really, really smart!"

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"But together, we have an IQ of 138!"

"Uh...that's now how it works..."

"Yes it is!  We should know, because together we're really, really smart!"

"Says who?"

"Gary, that's who."

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Haha (+1) 1

speaking of propaganda, remember the anti smoking group truth?

they've released a new commercials that laments how 72% of smokers are from low income communities that are disproportionately affected by Big Tobaccos taxes.

Yes, because Big Tobacco is responsible for the high tobacco taxes imposed on low income communities :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1