Favorite thing about Buffalo

Another Fan

On 4/3/2018 at 2:35 PM, john wawrow said:

well, this thread took a wrong turn, somewhere.

what i find odd is people referring to Buffalo as being a difficult financial burden.

as opposed to where?

that one could buy a house on the west side for as little as $40,000 some 10 years ago, and now sell it for $120,000 a financial burden?

is being able to get anywhere within 20 minutes and not get stuck in traffic a financial burden?

is being within an hour's flight or 3 hours drive from such larger and far more expensive metropolises as NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Toronto, to name a few, considered a burden?

that i can get the same standard of a high-end dinner at the nearby Left Bank or Hutch's as I can in Manhattan, for $40 maybe $50 more, not an advantage?

does paying $960 (including tip) to have my 50th birthday party with 45 guests a few years back at the Swannie (3-hour open bar, wings, beef on weck, pasta and salad) something that would be unheard of in most cities or towns?

just asking.

jw

I'm in a suburb of Atlanta that is roughly 15-20 years old. it is going through a massive growth spurt. 

Property taxes in certain areas of Buffalo sub-burbs are my entire monthly mortgage payment. So there is that. Over a 30 mortgage, the money i save on taxes alone, i could buy my house all over again. in cash.

I have what would be considered a mid to low sized hours for my neighborhood. It was built brand new in 2015. I cant get new construction in Buffalo for my house size at anywhere close to that.

To move back, i would have to take a pay cut, actually both my wife and I would.

Gas is about 30 center cheaper a gallon here.

My car does not get eaten alive every year by salt. I pay $20 a year for my car to be on the road. No inspection needed.

What does drive time have to do with financial burden?

I payed 1100 with open bar and food for 35 people for my 30th. So really?

Its really unfortunate, I love Buffalo, my entire family and 95% of my friends are still there. But pretending that Buffalo/NYS is on par financially with other places, I would have to tell you, you are wrong, form my experiences. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I'm in a suburb of Atlanta that is roughly 15-20 years old. it is going through a massive growth spurt. 

Property taxes in certain areas of Buffalo sub-burbs are my entire monthly mortgage payment. So there is that. Over a 30 mortgage, the money i save on taxes alone, i could buy my house all over again. in cash.

I have what would be considered a mid to low sized hours for my neighborhood. It was built brand new in 2015. I cant get new construction in Buffalo for my house size at anywhere close to that.

To move back, i would have to take a pay cut, actually both my wife and I would.

Gas is about 30 center cheaper a gallon here.

My car does not get eaten alive every year by salt. I pay $20 a year for my car to be on the road. No inspection needed.

What does drive time have to do with financial burden?

I payed 1100 with open bar and food for 35 people for my 30th. So really?

Its really unfortunate, I love Buffalo, my entire family and 95% of my friends are still there. But pretending that Buffalo/NYS is on par financially with other places, I would have to tell you, you are wrong, form my experiences. 

I just went back and spent 70 bucks on pizza... When did BFLo pizza get too damn expensive!

It was always cheap..

Having lived around the country, I would say the thing that stands out about WNY to me is the people.

Down to earth, open, friendly, willing to help others out.  I find those things to be true, and those characteristics, generally, are definitely not found in other areas.

For example, the general flavor of the greater DC area, where I lived for 13 years, is stand-offish, smug, and it is not uncommon for people to walk past you, look you straight in the face, and not acknowledge your existence, even if you smile and say "hi" to them.  

And that's not just a "big city" thing...that's a DC thing.  Probably lots of other areas too, but other large cities are not nearly as cold...

Anyway, WNY is the land of good people and friendly neighbors, and I think that's what I like about it best, though I have not lived there in nearly 20 years.

• Like (+1) 2

Never lived in Buffalo, but grew up in upstate NY and spent my first 25 years there.  It will always be a part of me, and I miss the climate,  natural beauty, and down to earth culture.  That said, even as a brash 25  year old in the 80s, the hand writing was on the wall as to how bleak the future of the entirety of Upstate NY was.economically  Given how the demographics of the NYC metro totally dominate the state ... it is almost like upstate NY has no representation, despite the ridiculous taxation.  I once owned several nice properties on the Saint Lawrence which i hoped to keep as summer homes..... but had to sell simply due to the ridiculous taxes.

Once you move overseas, you get a totally different perspective on how badly Americans get screwed by their politicians and big business.  Now, looking back no, but Bills still a part of my roots. Look forward to visiting again soon at least one more summer.

Edited by CamboBill

On 4/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, Fadingpain said:

Having lived around the country, I would say the thing that stands out about WNY to me is the people.

Down to earth, open, friendly, willing to help others out.  I find those things to be true, and those characteristics, generally, are definitely not found in other areas.

For example, the general flavor of the greater DC area, where I lived for 13 years, is stand-offish, smug, and it is not uncommon for people to walk past you, look you straight in the face, and not acknowledge your existence, even if you smile and say "hi" to them.  

And that's not just a "big city" thing...that's a DC thing.  Probably lots of other areas too, but other large cities are not nearly as cold...

Anyway, WNY is the land of good people and friendly neighbors, and I think that's what I like about it best, though I have not lived there in nearly 20 years.

Yeah not from there but that was always the picture I had ingrained in my head from my Dad.

Theres always idiots who go to games but I think all you have to do is look at all the money raised for Andy Daltons charity to see what your talking about