Happy Dyngus Day

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think I know why. It's because Dyngus Day died out everywhere. But one man brought it back. Eddie Dobosiewicz, aka Maxwell Truth. 

Some  of you know Ed from TV in Buffalo. Maybe you took A Forgotten Buffalo tour hosted by Eddie. 

I grew up with Eddie in the St. Stanislaus parish on the east side. But unlike me Eddie returned to the old neighborhood to try to revive it. It was Ed who started organising Dyngus Day events and promoting them. In fact he exported the party to Cleveland. 

So anywhere they have a big Dyngus celebration, Ed is likely promoting it. 

Well before Ed, South Bend CLAIMS TO HAVE been celebrating Smigus-dyngus since 1930.  It was political in Indiana, centered around the primaries.  Maybe it was exported from South Bend? So who revived what?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śmigus-dyngus

This sounds like the Bills-Howard logo debate... Who took it from who?

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/history/photo-gallery-dyngus-day-through-the-years/collection_e949bd64-f1c7-11e5-b9f4-435dcb16a2a3.html

"Dyngus Day is a traditional Polish holiday that has been celebrated in South Bend since at least 1930, according to local lore. It's the day after Easter. For many decades, it's also been intertwined with politicians working the crowds to win votes in the Indiana primary election. Take a look at these scenes from South Bend Tribune archives showing Dyngus Day through the years."

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Thanks!  Maybe it will grow over time?

Probably not.  What drunk can remember when Easter is, even sober one can't easily figure which day Easter is since Easter Sunday is determined by the full moon.

Ain't as easy as say, remembering a date like March 17th. 

Just saying.  It is what it is, a bumpy road.  A set day would help.  Dyngus can be anywhere over the course of almost 3/4 of a month.  Closer to St.Paddy's and it gets overshadowed that year.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Well before Ed, South Bend CLAIMS TO HAVE been celebrating Smigus-dyngus since 1930.  It was political in Indiana, centered around the primaries.  Maybe it was exported from South Bend? So who revived what?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śmigus-dyngus

This sounds like the Bills-Howard logo debate... Who took it from who?

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/history/photo-gallery-dyngus-day-through-the-years/collection_e949bd64-f1c7-11e5-b9f4-435dcb16a2a3.html

"Dyngus Day is a traditional Polish holiday that has been celebrated in South Bend since at least 1930, according to local lore. It's the day after Easter. For many decades, it's also been intertwined with politicians working the crowds to win votes in the Indiana primary election. Take a look at these scenes from South Bend Tribune archives showing Dyngus Day through the years."

Probably not.  What drunk can remember when Easter is, even sober one can't easily figure which day Easter is since Easter Sunday is determined by the full moon.

Ain't as easy as say, remembering a date like March 17th. 

Just saying.  It is what it is, a bumpy road.  A set day would help.  Dyngus can be anywhere over the course of almost 3/4 of a month.  Closer to St.Paddy's and it gets overshadowed that year.

The same is true of Mardi Gras. Both change year to year. Doesn't seem to hurt that holiday. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The same is true of Mardi Gras. Both change year to year. Doesn't seem to hurt that holiday. 

Good point!

One kicks off Lent, other finishes.

BFLo ain't a market center like NOLA.

It doesn't have the location, size, weather and appeal.

Put BFLo, Cleveland, South Bend in NOLA, Rio, Miami, etc... And I agree with You, we start cooking with gas! :D

It busts my heart to say that.  Samba on a beach Polska Style and we have something!