Happy Dyngus Day

1 hour ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I just sent a text to my Mom (who is polish) trying to say Happy Dyngus day.  It autocorrected to happy fungus day.

Well by the end of the day many Poles will feel like fungus.  Happy Dyngus Day!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

well into the 1990s Channel 4 would preempt the second round weekend March Madness to show the parade.

My only CBS affiliate was out of Buffalo and I had to drive an hour to a friend's where they had the Erie as well.  For some reason my cable company gave me the extra NBC and ABC Erie stations... 

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Its Polands St. Patrick's day, why wouldn't most people love another day that has an excuse to drink......

And it doesn't require you to wear green, a color many people don't wear on a regular basis

I am not Polish, but I enjoy and respect the holiday.  Question is, why is this not really known outside of WNY??  I have also lived in Chicago, with a larger size Polish population, but they give you an odd look if mention the holiday.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband loves this day. I have no idea why (my ancestors are Polish, not his). I swear he just likes to say Dyngus Day. Thank goodness we didn't have a kitty willow tree in our backyard.

hahaha you guys have been bad here! I just notice the autocorrect on my post.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I am not Polish, but I enjoy and respect the holiday.  Question is, why is this not really known outside of WNY??  I have also lived in Chicago, with a larger size Polish population, but they give you an odd look if mention the holiday.

I "think" Cleveland too.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It's huge in South Bend for the last 80 years... Yes, South Bend, more promoted by the city than in BFLo...

Yes, South Bend, freaking Indiana... 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

hahaha you guys have been bad here! I just notice the autocorrect on my post.

I "think" Cleveland too.

Not AutoCorrect, but Board filter.

Same when the rooster crows three times...:D

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I think I know why. It's because Dyngus Day died out everywhere. But one man brought it back. Eddie Dobosiewicz, aka Maxwell Truth. 

Some  of you know Ed from TV in Buffalo. Maybe you took A Forgotten Buffalo tour hosted by Eddie. 

I grew up with Eddie in the St. Stanislaus parish on the east side. But unlike me Eddie returned to the old neighborhood to try to revive it. It was Ed who started organising Dyngus Day events and promoting them. In fact he exported the party to Cleveland. 

So anywhere they have a big Dyngus celebration, Ed is likely promoting it. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think I know why. It's because Dyngus Day died out everywhere. But one man brought it back. Eddie Dobosiewicz, aka Maxwell Truth. 

Some  of you know Ed from TV in Buffalo. Maybe you took A Forgotten Buffalo tour hosted by Eddie. 

I grew up with Eddie in the St. Stanislaus parish on the east side. But unlike me Eddie returned to the old neighborhood to try to revive it. It was Ed who started organising Dyngus Day events and promoting them. In fact he exported the party to Cleveland. 

So anywhere they have a big Dyngus celebration, Ed is likely promoting it. 

Thanks!  Maybe it will grow over time?