Zlatan Zlatans, and other Zlatan related things.

Exactly what happens when you take a guy who was until very recently getting starter minutes for a top club in the best league and stick him in the MLS. Now the sad part is that his fitness and focus will eventually come down to the rest of the competition, but for the first 3-6 months he is going to absolutely dominate. This isn't a Kaka/Lampard situation, he's still playing at a very high level.

26 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Have no idea who this guy is so I'll just assume Zlatan is just doing Zlatan things in Zlatan style

I thought perhaps someone was referring to the Polish currency incorrectly. (złoty)

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Exactly what happens when you take a guy who was until very recently getting starter minutes for a top club in the best league and stick him in the MLS. Now the sad part is that his fitness and focus will eventually come down to the rest of the competition, but for the first 3-6 months he is going to absolutely dominate. This isn't a Kaka/Lampard situation, he's still playing at a very high level.

Any other player but Zlatan.  He'll be demanding of his teammates.  If they don't rise, he'll leave.  He's Zlatan.

And the first goal is a goal in any league on the planet.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

I think with all of the stuff going on with CTE and football that sport is going to change dramatically over the next several years. I know personally, in our school district, soccer is growing by leaps and bounds. I expect to see some good American born players eventually.

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

When I read this last night my first reaction was

IMAG000.JPG

Did you ever hear of the Zartan that was schizophrenic?  The company pulled it in 1984:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1984/12/06/garden/toy-maker-to-remove-schizophrenic-label.html

Of course... I got it laying somewhere in my father's house. It has never been opened.. I should probably look for it

How fitting...:P I wonder if it brings a decent price?  I should probably put it up for sale on eBay.

Here is the controversial filecard from 1984:

74930.jpg

:lol: Thought you would enjoy this, especially coming from me! 

EDIT: I just read the filecard you posted, it is the same controversial one.  My bad, I guess you did hear of it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 minutes ago, GG said:

Why is Zlatan going to be any different than Pele, Beckenbauer, or Beckham?

Pele and Beckenbauer played in the US a hundred years ago. Beckham had a decent MLS career. Zlatan will be good if he has anything left in the tank. He's been one of the best players in the world for a long time. I'm guessing he will be fantastic in short spurts. Nothing more--but he'll be fun to watch. That's just who he is. 

18 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Pele and Beckenbauer played in the US a hundred years ago. Beckham had a decent MLS career. Zlatan will be good if he has anything left in the tank. He's been one of the best players in the world for a long time. I'm guessing he will be fantastic in short spurts. Nothing more--but he'll be fun to watch. That's just who he is. 

Tasker's point is that Zlatan can change the nature of the sport domestically.   I don't see it.

5 hours ago, GG said:

Tasker's point is that Zlatan can change the nature of the sport domestically.   I don't see it.

He's a player who was competing for the European Golden Shoe just a few seasons ago scoring 38 for PSG, and scored 17 in the BPL in just 28 games before his injury.  He's still playing at an elite level, and could be plying his trade for one of the biggest sides in the world in the UCL if he wanted.  The US has never had a player of his caliber play in our domestic league in the new media era, and even if you want to count Beckham, who I don't believe was ever in Zlatan's class (few ever have been) he wasn't a striker.

Combine his bright star, production level, his flair for the dramatic and the sensational, and his love of the camera and his larger than life persona with America's newfound willingness to start a love affair with the sport, and I think he'll do more than any other player has to grow the sport here. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2018 at 3:48 AM, GG said:

Why is Zlatan going to be any different than Pele, Beckenbauer, or Beckham?

Beckham was arguably the best player in the league for a couple of years after he came here and he certainly generated a lot of interest and money...the designated player rule and all that. Ibrahimovic is coming into the MLS playing at a much higher level than was Beckham too.

TYTT: did you catch what Ronaldo did to Juve yesterday? Incredible stuff

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Beckham was arguably the best player in the league for a couple of years after he came here and he certainly generated a lot of interest and money...the designated player rule and all that. Ibrahimovic is coming into the MLS playing at a much higher level than was Beckham too.

TYTT: did you catch what Ronaldo did to Juve yesterday? Incredible stuff

I did.  I thought it was absolute class that the fans in Turin gave him the ovation that they did as well.