Texans installing new offense for QB Deshaun Watson

Why are the Texans installing new offense for QB Deshaun Watson??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923697/article/texans-installing-new-offense-for-qb-deshaun-watson

Houston's coaches deserve credit for easing Watson's NFL transition by playing to his strengths with a foundation of run-pass option (RPOs), traditional option, play-action and rolling pockets. That said, offenses overly reliant upon misdirection typically come with an expiration date at the highest level of football.

That's not to suggest the Texans will eliminate the portion of the playbook that enhances Watson's playmaking ability and rare instincts, but they will attempt to reduce the risk of injury while throwing fresh looks at opposing defenses.

Football evolution is a history of offensive innovation leading to defensive adjustment. O'Brien has little choice but to stay ahead of the curve before brilliant defensive minds adjust -- as they've done in the past with dual-threat quarterbacks operating in heavily schemed attacks.

So if I read this right they want to shift from the RPO? 

They need to teach these athletic QB's to make small movements in the pocket to buy time like Brady does. They need to run as an absolute last option to take advantage of the rules that protect QB's in the pocket. If Watson does this he could become a great QB, if he doesn't I think injuries will kill his career. He is a good enough passer to throw from the pocket and kill defense's with his arm. I was hoping with Rex Ryan's Clemson connections that Watson would be a Buffalo Bill right now but Rex and Whaley are horrid evaluators of QB talent. If we had Watson right now their would be no need to trade up and we would be coping the blueprint the Seahawks used to make a run. 

The Biggest difference between Watson and Taylor/Jackson are that when they spy him with a FS or LB Watson see's it and makes them pay for it with his arm. If Watson can limit running and just avoid contact at all cost I think he could be a clone of Aaron Rodgers. Watson is my prime target in FFL this year.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

They need to teach these athletic QB's to make small movements in the pocket to buy time like Brady does. They need to run as an absolute last option to take advantage of the rules that protect QB's in the pocket. If Watson does this he could become a great QB, if he doesn't I think injuries will kill his career. He is a good enough passer to throw from the pocket and kill defense's with his arm. I was hoping with Rex Ryan's Clemson connections that Watson would be a Buffalo Bill right now but Rex and Whaley are horrid evaluators of QB talent. If we had Watson right now their would be no need to trade up and we would be coping the blueprint the Seahawks used to make a run. 

The Biggest difference between Watson and Taylor/Jackson are that when they spy him with a FS or LB Watson see's it and makes them pay for it with his arm. If Watson can limit running and just avoid contact at all cost, I think he could be a clone of Aaron Rodgers. Watson is my prime target in FFL this year.

I know it may be stupid as it is so obvious but I am a big fan of this.

Hell, even go to the other thread, the one that dealt with Mills/Nate when he is inside the Bills own 10 early in the game.  Yes, the pocket collapses very quickly, but man just two steps up buys him the time and the follow-through to hit the WR (which I honestly believe he would have as his throws are generally good when he follows through and has time).

This isn't for the purposes of propping up Petterman.  It is just frustrating when subtle, 2-5 foot shifts in the pocket would "save" a pass play.  More often than not it seems like lately there are only  two options if you are still going to throw:  stay IN the pocket or completely abandon it for open water to see what might pop up.

The great RBs, like Shady, are so very good at that spatial awareness.  I just hope our QBs will gain that feel for what's around them.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

They need to teach these athletic QB's to make small movements in the pocket to buy time like Brady does. They need to run as an absolute last option to take advantage of the rules that protect QB's in the pocket. If Watson does this he could become a great QB, if he doesn't I think injuries will kill his career. He is a good enough passer to throw from the pocket and kill defense's with his arm. I was hoping with Rex Ryan's Clemson connections that Watson would be a Buffalo Bill right now but Rex and Whaley are horrid evaluators of QB talent..

McDermott is the one who passed on Watson. Dont be a fool.

It was said Whaley was tryna trade up for Trubisky and couldnt so he wanted Watson next. Derm decided to train down for whatever reasons.

the RPO will be a "thing" then fade away in  about 3 years 

If you want a Franchise QB he needs to be able to adaptable, to be able to play multiple styles.   

Prime example is the NE offense.  Always adapting (and cheating) 

Imo

Edited by ShadyBillsFan