Kickoffs in the NFL Could Soon Be a Thing of the Past

Meh this wouldn't bother me at all. What would you guys rather lose, kickoffs and leading with the crown of the helmet, or a large number of key players from active rosters due to injuries? If I were a coach I would already have my players take a knee on every touchback.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a long-needed discussion that could potentially impact the college ranks.   The amount of players coming into the league with visible CTE symptoms is growing at an alarming rate.  No monitary reimbursement can account for life with CTE.  It is a slow, painful and terrifying process.   This is a need, in my opinion.  Won’t be popular though.

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

I love watching a kickoff return for a TD, although that barely happens anymore. I just looked up a stat sheet and it only listed 6 that happened last season :( 

I still want them in the game.

Edited by FappyTheClown

3 minutes ago, FappyTheClown said:

I love watching a kickoff return for a TD, although that barely happens anymore. I just looked up a stat sheet and it only listed 6 that happened last season :( 

I still want them in the game.

There’s an argument that concussions aren’t being reported due to how much is happening on the field (the field of vision for Concussion spotting is massive), how quick players must get off of the field (Concussion spotting was just implemented due to players not reporting them) and the propensity for extra curricular activities that can distract from Concussion spotting, on kickoffs.  It’s a pretty legitimate argument.

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

why stop there?   Why not just run each game completely on a computer simulator based on the individual players’ Madden stats!??!?  Obviously you could still sell tickets to the “game”.

A few years ago I posted a thread titled the Virtual Football League.  It's not that far fetched with advances in computer technology and CGI.  

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

A few years ago I posted a thread titled the Virtual Football League.  It's not that far fetched with advances in computer technology and CGI.  

dude I bet the tailgating scene for that would be intense.  Just think, the IBM “Deep Blue” team in the Hammer Lot!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

dude I bet the tailgating scene for that would be intense.  Just think, the IBM “Deep Blue” team in the Hammer Lot!

Pretty soon we'll all be sitting in our bomb proof shelters, watching sim football and checking our devices...oh and getting our groceries delivered to safe zone for pickup.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What percentage of them come on kickoffs?  

The opening kickoff is such a mainstay of the game. It’s the opening pitch, the face off, and tip off.  

I just cant imagine football without it 

May be they can have it once at the beginning of each half and do away with it after a TD or FG

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I would assume more injuries occur during punting plays.

Perhaps faircatches happen at a greater rate than touchbacks? Also, I don't think they cover as much ground to get the downhill speed gunners/blockers on kickoffs get.

My status as football fan could also “be a thing of the past” pretty soon as well. Between the CBA regulating practice time and rule changes, the quality of the league has already gone down the tubes.  Ps does Bob Kraft’s team get to start at the 50? 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

51 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Is there actual evidence that kickoffs result in more injuries than any other play? 

A couple posts above yours there's a tweet from Kevin Seifert that says concussions happen at 5 times the normal rate on kickoff returns. It isn't worth it for a play that very rarely means anything.

• Like (+1) 1