Bandit's 2018 QB Evaluations

I decided to include my notes on the Iowa game for Josh Allen, since it was easily his biggest test as a college QB.  I encourage everyone to watch the video first, before you read my comments, and decide if you believe that you see a QB that is overmatched by his big-time opponent.

Josh Allen

Game selected: @ Iowa

Reason: facing 10th-ranked pass defense in FBS (based on YPA allowed)

Notes (timestamp correlates to start of play):

0:13 trying to make a play, he forces this one to a covered receiver; note that it’s an accurate throw to the boundary

0:21 quick, accurate boundary throw

0:36 I both love and hate this play: Allen gets it out quickly and accurately for a take-what-they-give-you 3rd down completion, but it’s not the best RAC opportunity.  I’d love to have an All-22 view to see if either his 2 or 3 read came clear in another second.

1:00 are you kidding me with that throw? That’s beautiful…but does it get picked in the NFL?

1:30 this is a terrific job of finding a safe spot to throw from while under pressure; the throw ends up sailing too far, which is understandable, but it’s quite an effort to make a smart, safe play

1:46 amazing job getting away, now he needs to learn when to throw it away

Side note Josey Jewell is everywhere

These next 3 plays are going to show you a lot about the level of competition Allen is playing with versus what he’s facing.  Just watch and see.

2:45 great play fake, and look at the perfect lower-body mechanics on the plant, drive, and throw

3:17 Pause.  We’re halfway through this video breakdown…anyone see any accuracy issues thus far?

Okay, now hit play: you’re about to see your first accuracy issue.  How does it happen?  He rushes a boundary throw, doesn’t set his feet, and it sails high.  What happens on the following pass play?  He takes the extra nanosecond and delivers a perfect boundary throw for a first down

3:31 this is a drop, and a bad one at a pretty important juncture; so is the next play for that matter

3:55 Accuracy issue?  What happens?  Allen rushes the throw, failing to set his feet, and the ball sails high.  Picking up on a theme here?

4:01 Watch, hold breath, be amazed, then cry.  Listen kid, you’re playing in the biggest game of your life, and your QB just made an amazing play; bail him out by not dropping a perfectly thrown ball, would ya?

4:22 misfires wide; what happened?  Unstable base; another lower-body issue…but as has become pretty commonplace for Allen, he comes back with a bullet for a first down on the following play

4:44 this is NFL QB play right here.  Great job manipulating the secondary and finishing with a great throw

5:00 my biggest beef with Allen, as I’ve said, is that he tries to do too much.  He trusts his arm way too much on this play, and it ends up biting him.  Now where have I seen that before?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d80c23806/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Going-going-Greer

5:38 after a couple of rushed throws, he calms himself down and hits a 3rd down conversion

6:00 again, he trusts his arm too much and thinks he can gun this one in there

6:29 when you’re stumbling backward, it’s a bad idea to attempt to complete a screen pass over your OLmen…again, trying to do too much

Okay, we’re done.  What did you see?  A guy that was overmatched and couldn’t’ hack it against a tough opponent?  A guy with too many inaccurate passes to play full-time on Sundays?  That’s not what I saw.  I saw a guy that hung in there against a very tough opponent, despite his team being overmatched, and made some great throws.

I wanted to put this game tape out here to see if what Allen does well held up against Iowa, and it did.  I also wanted to see if his issues were exacerbated to the extreme, because if he fails in the NFL, that’ll be what does him in.  Now, in my opinion, his tendencies to do too much and get sloppy with his lower body when rushing throws did indeed show up.  Were they exacerbated to an extreme?  Not in my opinion, and that tells me that he’s got the potential to overcome them even if they don’t get fixed immediately.  Do they need to get fixed for him to be a long-term solution at QB? Yes.  Will those issues doom him in the short-term?  I don’t believe so.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I decided to include my notes on the Iowa game for Josh Allen, since it was easily his biggest test as a college QB.  I encourage everyone to watch the video first, before you read my comments, and decide if you believe that you see a QB that is overmatched by his big-time opponent.

I have to ask for a fair assessment .....    Are the all of the games you are breaking down for each QB the ones where each of them shined?   

Obvious the last was not 

Do you have equally detailed reviews on games that they were not tat their best but more of an average?  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have to ask for a fair assessment .....    Are the all of the games you are breaking down for each QB the ones where each of them shined?   

Obvious the last was not 

Do you have equally detailed reviews on games that they were not tat their best but more of an average?  

I would argue that none of the games I post in this thread are their best games.  I try to post a game that works well as a "storyboard" presentation; one that typifies what you see from the player on any given day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Only paying attention to one team in particular at the college level this thread has given me a better understanding of why the draft class at the QB position is considered good.

Thank you very much OP, nice job. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is very fair Dave... although Lamar is definitely a better, more natural, thrower of a ball than Young ever was.  And you nail the key point with Jackson.  He needs to improve still to be a successful NFL Quarterback.  I have said consistently that if he never improves as a passer on the guy he is today he is a backup level NFL QB.  The thing that gives you hope with Jackson is that he has improved year on year and seems the kind of kid that really wants to be great.  If he takes another step as a pro similar to the one he took even between 2016 and 2017 as a college player then you are getting into the territory of solid NFL starter.  If he can make a step as a pro similar to the combined one between 2015 and 2017..... well then you might just have a franchise Quarterback.  

Vince Young's throwing  motion could IMO best be described as "throwing like Philip Rivers' sister".

The fact that he could lead a functional, winning offense in the NFL....when semi-focused on the task.....speaks volumes to the potential of a guy like Jackson........a clearly better athlete with actual NFL arm talent......who really flashes some absolutely BIG TIME throws.    Love his potential.   Would be a good fit here behind Castillo's Castoffs.

Mark80, I like your assessments of this years crop. Bandit, I watched and read the Iowa breakdown of Allen. I agree with what you're saying about Allen's team being overmatched, but when I watch Louisville their team (offensively) didn't have the best talent either. There were times when at the snap of the ball the opposing teams defense was in Louisville backfield. If not avoiding the pressure with his legs, Lamar had to throw the ball away to avoid sacks killing his comp pct. I mean if you're gonna use the no talent excuse for Josh, throw Lamar a bone too.

7 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Mark80, I like your assessments of this years crop. Bandit, I watched and read the Iowa breakdown of Allen. I agree with what you're saying about Allen's team being overmatched, but when I watch Louisville their team (offensively) didn't have the best talent either. There were times when at the snap of the ball the opposing teams defense was in Louisville backfield. If not avoiding the pressure with his legs, Lamar had to throw the ball away to avoid sacks killing his comp pct. I mean if you're gonna use the no talent excuse for Josh, throw Lamar a bone too.

My comment about the talent disparity applies more to whether it was Allen himself that was overmatched in the Iowa game or his supporting cast.

As for Lamar, well, I called out his receivers pretty bad in my comments, but I don't think there's anywhere near the disparity between Louisville's talent level and FSU's as there is between Wyoming and Iowa.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

My comment about the talent disparity applies more to whether it was Allen himself that was overmatched in the Iowa game or his supporting cast.

As for Lamar, well, I called out his receivers pretty bad in my comments, but I don't think there's anywhere near the disparity between Louisville's talent level and FSU's as there is between Wyoming and Iowa.

This makes sense. Do you think that any of these QBs, besides Rudolph, were propped up by the talent around them? I don’t necessarily but think Baker’s OL helped.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Excellent analysis, Bandit.

We've been in agreement about it........but it takes some guts to actually start a thread where you admit you like all 5 of the top QB prospects.

That group of 5 all bring something "franchise" to the table.......they aren't all generational players by any means but any one of them could be a #1 overall pick in a given year.  

This is where I am at on this whole QB draft class......I feel like as long as the bills take A QB......we will be fine.

56 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I would argue that none of the games I post in this thread are their best games.  I try to post a game that works well as a "storyboard" presentation; one that typifies what you see from the player on any given day.

much appreciated  thanks  

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is where I am at on this whole QB draft class......I feel like as long as the bills take A QB......we will be fine.

Keiper was just (relatively) saying he things a QB will be picked 1, 2, and 3 

33 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Nice job bandit, appreciate the hard work...allows me to go to high level business meetings and still be informed!

My question with Josh Allen, is whether he is an underachiever or a late bloomer. Do you know why he didn't have any offers out of high school?Anyone?

Could be wrong, but I thought I read or heard that he got taller and put on weight after high school.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Nice job bandit, appreciate the hard work...allows me to go to high level business meetings and still be informed!

My question with Josh Allen, is whether he is an underachiever or a late bloomer. Do you know why he didn't have any offers out of high school?Anyone?

He was pretty small and slight coming out of high school--6'3" and 180 lbs; from a small part of the country with little exposure, he simply slipped past the scouts.  In fact, it took a family member connection to even get him into a community college as a freshman QB.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This makes sense. Do you think that any of these QBs, besides Rudolph, were propped up by the talent around them? I don’t necessarily but think Baker’s OL helped.

Not really; each of the top-5 all kind of stand on their own IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not really; each of the top-5 all kind of stand on their own IMO

I don't buy it with Rudolph either. To me he was the best player on that offense. Okay in a conference where nobody olays defense.... but the two receivers everyone seems to love are both overrated in my mind. One is a poor route runner the other has questionable hands. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't buy it with Rudolph either. To me he was the best player on that offense. Okay in a conference where nobody olays defense.... but the two receivers everyone seems to love are both overrated in my mind. One is a poor route runner the other has questionable hands. 

I have Washington as a top-60 pick, Ateman is more of a fringe Day 2 guy for me.

I do think Washington's catch radius helped Rudolph a bit, as I really don't like his boundary throws much at all.

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have Washington as a top-60 pick, Ateman is more of a fringe Day 2 guy for me.

I do think Washington's catch radius helped Rudolph a bit, as I really don't like his boundary throws much at all.

Think that is about right where I have them. But Rudolph was the best player on that offense for me. 

• Like (+1) 1