Titans reach deal with veteran QB Blaine Gabbert

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923273/article/titans-agree-to-terms-with-qb-blaine-gabbert

If anyone is interested 

The Tennessee Titans have hired a new backup for Marcus Mariota.

The team announced Tuesday it agreed to terms with veteran quarterback Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert spent 2017 with the Arizona Cardinals, starting five games replacing an injured Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. Despite earning the confidence of then-coach Bruce Arians, Gabbert still completed just 55.6 percent of his passes for 6.4 yards per attempt, six touchdowns, six interceptions, and took 23 sacks.

Gabbert joins the Titans, who parted ways with former backup Matt Cassel.

With Mariota missing at least one game each season of his career, upgrading the backup quarterback position was a must for Tennessee. While Gabbert is a better player at this stage than a decrepit Cassel, the Titans could still ultimately use an upgrade, especially if a developmental project falls to them in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably a bit late now, but I'm wondering if we could have a Free Agency thread pinned so we could keep up with all the smaller signings. Perhaps have some kind soul update the first post each time someone signs? 

I just find it hard to sift through the 45 QB threads and 38 threads on everyone else's opinion of what's going to happen to find the actual news. I prefer to come here for the news, as there's usually pretty knowledgeable commentary that follows. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When considering draft experts, please remember that Mayock had Gabbert higher on his board than Cam Newton.

Very surprising that he failed. Really smart, great size and athletic ability. Did not transition well from the spread offense. Something like 7 offensive coordinators in 8 years and I think that is one of the reasons he never got going. But Mayock was obviously wrong and that is one of the reasons we could see Allen drafted before Darnold. . 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Very surprising that he failed. Really smart, great size and athletic ability. Did not transition well from the spread offense. Something like 7 offensive coordinators in 8 years and I think that is one of the reasons he never got going. But Mayock was obviously wrong and that is one of the reasons we could see Allen drafted before Darnold. . 

His last year in college, in an offense where Chase Daniel lit it up, he threw for 16 tds to 9 ints.  I never got his hype.  This is what Josh Allen reeks of.  I think these “draft experts” think they are drafting guys to play qb in a movie instead of actually playing in the nfl.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

His last year in college, in an offense where Chase Daniel lit it up, he threw for 16 tds to 9 ints.  I never got his hype.  This is what Josh Allen reeks of.  I think these “draft experts” think they are drafting guys to play qb in a movie instead of actually playing in the nfl.

Good points. It's always projectable skills more than anything. 

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Image result for keanu reeves falco

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

With Mariota missing at least one game each season of his career, upgrading the backup quarterback position was a must for Tennessee. While Gabbert is a better player at this stage than a decrepit Cassel, the Titans could still ultimately use an upgrade, especially if a developmental project falls to them in the draft.

The words "decrepit Cassel" are pretty strong words. 

20 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923273/article/titans-agree-to-terms-with-qb-blaine-gabbert

If anyone is interested 

The Tennessee Titans have hired a new backup for Marcus Mariota.

The team announced Tuesday it agreed to terms with veteran quarterback Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert spent 2017 with the Arizona Cardinals, starting five games replacing an injured Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. Despite earning the confidence of then-coach Bruce Arians, Gabbert still completed just 55.6 percent of his passes for 6.4 yards per attempt, six touchdowns, six interceptions, and took 23 sacks.

I always liked Gabber as a back up. I like this signing.

Edited by cba fan

18 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

No surprising at all. He was fundamentally inaccurate in the intermediate range of the field. Struggled to hit moving targets and threw behind receivers consistently in that area.