Saying hello and thoughts on the draft

The draft reminds me about Christmas when I was a kid.  The anticipation leading up to it is sometimes better than the event.  I hope it's not like the Christmas I had where I was asking for a BB gun, but instead got Tin Can Alley.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The OP did make a good analogy but the QB over all crowd keeps wanting to spend at stores that are closed for the season.

Sometimes, even when the store is closed, if you're a friend of the owner...IDK, I suck at analogies and went to spend all my chores money.  

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Last year, Houston got DeShawn Watson with the 12th pick in the draft.  Why, in a deeper QB draft, is it so far-fetched that the Bills could land their franchise QB without trading up again?

Because I don't want to leave this chance. I don't think we can operate on the notion that we hope one "falls to us" at 12.  IMHO, McBeane needs to already have a plan in place to go and get his guy.  The franchise QB has eluded us for decades now and we've come too close to just up and stop now...

14 minutes ago, PIZ said:

The draft reminds me about Christmas when I was a kid.  The anticipation leading up to it is sometimes better than the event.  I hope it's not like the Christmas I had where I was asking for a BB gun, but instead got Tin Can Alley.

Or my 12th Christmas where I asked for a remote control car, and my mom got me one.....that had the remote CONNECTED TO THE CAR!!!!  ????

Mom is cheap!

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Because I don't want to leave this chance. I don't think we can operate on the notion that we hope one "falls to us" at 12.  IMHO, McBeane needs to already have a plan in place to go and get his guy.  The franchise QB has eluded us for decades now and we've come too close to just up and stop now...

Or my 12th Christmas where I asked for a remote control car, and my mom got me one.....that had the remote CONNECTED TO THE CAR!!!!  ????

Haha.  I asked for an RC car and got one like that too, and the only way you could turn was by going in reverse, then forward.  I could go on and on about the times I got the opposite of what I asked for.  All I'm asking for this Christmas, I mean draft, is a franchise QB.  Maybe a beast MLB, a big ol TE, some speedy WRs, and maybe throw in a DT from Stanford, and a RB by the name of Penny.  Heck, may as well give me another feisty CB, and some run blocking OL.  That's not asking too much is it?

1 hour ago, stony said:

Welcome Skins.

I say, spend the money.

Stony, you pretty well echo my sentiments. Everyone wants a rookie QB to ride in on a white horse and take us to the promised land-----so do I!  Even if we land one of the top 4, NO ONE knows if he'll be a great NFL qb, and if we give up most of our bank of picks to get him, that means he'll have to work with basically the players we have under contract right now. I don't think that'll give the kid much of a chance. If we decide to stay at 12, as has been said----we could well end up with a half dozen starters. So maybe between McCarron, Peterman [ who are to a large extent, untested] and whomever might fall to us at 12 or later Jackson, Rudolph  [either of whom might be highly regarded by Beane], or even Lauletta] we end up with a very servicable QB. If all else fails, we'll have a bunch of good players, who don't cost much for 4 years and 100 Million in cap space. Then  in 2019 Bridgewater [who will have been tested] and Matt Ryan are free agents and the following year it's Wilson, Newton, Keenum, Winston and Mariota. I know who wants to wait 2 more years-----but do you really xpect to win the super bowl THIS year with one of the BIG 4?

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Haha.  I asked for an RC car and got one like that too, and the only way you could turn was by going in reverse, then forward.  I could go on and on about the times I got the opposite of what I asked for.  All I'm asking for this Christmas, I mean draft, is a franchise QB.  Maybe a beast MLB, a big ol TE, some speedy WRs, and maybe throw in a DT from Stanford, and a RB by the name of Penny.  Heck, may as well give me another feisty CB, and some run blocking OL.  That's not asking too much is it?

Not at all, not at all.  My cheap mom also taught me long ago, "Closed mouths don't get fed."  Put it out there!  I want ALL of the things you just mentioned...but I have a feeling it's going to be either or.....we get our franchise QB, and maybe one or two others, or settle for a 2nd-tier guy (which they will claim they had a 1st round grade for him all along and were hoping he'd be there when they picked), and get all the above.  Just my hunch...