Question: Who On The Bills Staff Can Select Skill Positions Well?

I'm not trying to make anybody more stressed than we already are. But I have a question and I genuinely don't know.

Who on the staff has proven to be good at picking skill players? The most looming pick being the one for QB coming up.

Pre-Beane they did a great job picking defensive guys in the draft and free agency.\

Not so much with the offensive skill players we picked up. At least not so far.

Beane isn't a scout. He knows about scouting, but he isn't a scout.

So who's opinion will count the most? I know we can say they will arrive at a group decision and have blind trust. But do we have anything more than blind trust to go on? I'm just wondering.

Beane is the GM, he's the one calling the shots. We just don't know who ( if anyone) on this staff specializes in offensive skill position players. It was obvious from the Bills FO decisions last year they were betting on their own ability to draft players. Big. We will find out if they have the touch to pull it off. It's just one draft, but 2017 didn't inspire confidence in this area. Zay Jones is a huge question mark, Benjamin trade is inconclusive. FA signings were a mixed bag, mostly bad. The 2018 draft doesn't seem deep in the WR department. The QB situation is a non starter for FA WRs. Beane and co will have to produce some draft magic to improve the passing game this year. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it's a legitimate question. While you would assume that a good scout, knows all positions well, somewhere, someone, has to be able to know who is going to be good or not.

McDermott seems pretty well capable of identifying defensive talent that will suit him, but on Offense, who knows. You sort of feel that it's going to be slam dunk guys they pick on offense, as they don't necessarily know who the best fits might be. Hopefully Daboll has some serious input into what he's going to be working with.

In response to the above poster, I've read in a few places, that there is depth in the WR class this year, just not anywhere near some of the high end guys we have seen before. Plenty of 'high floor' guys, but not many who have the huge ceiling to match. Plenty of solid 2nd/3rd round guys, but hardly any 1st round talents.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Nobody on offense, that's for sure... They can barely COACH that side of the ball, let alone assess talent. Honestly, I'm not holding out much hope for Daboll to be an improvement, but we'll see.

Well, what you say is my worst case. I was hoping someone would show me the light. Which you did not in your post here. 

They got Dawkins last year but besides that, they laid an egg. A big one.

We did get a new scouting staff in here though. Some left already. But I wonder if anyone we have remaining is experienced at picking offensive skill players? I hope so.

I don't know. Beane isn't taking my calls.