Was the point really for a QB?

The “tear-down” last season that included the trade-down at the draft, the Watkins & Darby trades, etc etc. was largely seen as a way to go after a QB. And I agreed for the most part. But what if we’ve all just been wrong in our assumption. What if they just did it simply in order to re-make the roster in their image? Maybe a piece of that is s new QB, but not the focal point. 

Just kind of weird because if we see all of this made and they dont they don’t make that final push to get into the top-6ish to get a top-3 QB, maybe it’s because that was never their main point in the first place.

It also could be that they wanted to but couldn't. So if it doesn't happen I won't just assume it was because they didn't try like most people will. 

Edited by Lfod

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

The “tear-down” last season that included the trade-down at the draft, the Watkins & Darby trades, etc etc. was largely seen as a way to go after a QB. And I agreed for the most part. But what if we’ve all just been wrong in our assumption. What if they just did it simply in order to re-make the roster in their image? Maybe a piece of that is s new QB, but not the focal point. 

Just kind of weird because if we see all of this made and they dont they don’t make that final push to get into the top-6ish to get a top-3 QB, maybe it’s because that was never their main point in the first place.

So doing private workouts with every top QB is just to fake people out that they'd like to get one?  Why?  

All of this has been to get a QB by building draft capital.  That's two fold, one is they know they need to trade up and second is so they'll have some picks left to fill voids/add depth too.  The move for 12th with trading Glenn got them closer but they may not be able to get close enough, however that doesn't mean they don't want to.  They ultimately may not be able to due to teams not wanting to trade out of their pick or the Bills may not want to pay the price tag.  They are searching for a QB in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s the goal of any and every team that doesn’t have a QB..QB is single handily the most important position of them all and in this era of passing its vital to at least have an above average QB. 

Recent years have shown that you dont don’t have to have an elite QB if you have a great supporting cast around him.

we seen journeyman like Case Keenum and Nick Foles have success in the playoffs because the schemes were built around their strengths and supporting cast further helped them along.

With all things considered it definitely was the Bills goal in my eyes to grab a QB and begin craft around him. Just as it is the Browns, Cardinals and my Jets goal to get a QB and build around him. You guys have so many picks..I almost say stay at 12 and pick players that can really help your guy as well as grow with him in the new offense. Then again, you don’t know who will actually be there at 12 so there calls for good reasoning to trade up. 

All and All,

I believe you guys can put together a competitive team with a rookie QB just as any team can with the right moves.

3-4 years from now to look back on it and see how the AFC East looks without Brady is going to be wild. It’s all about creating for the future in the AFCE right now. Because I can tell ya’ now...as soon as that blow hard Brady leaves and Belicheck retires..the Jets, Bills and Dolphins will have a much easier path to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2018 at 8:01 AM, Dkollidas said:

I was thinking the same things.  McBeane reminds of that chic from American Pie u know the band camp girl.  Everytime u hear these guys talk they bring up what they did with the Panthers.  They act like they were some dynasty winning multiple Superbowls over there. I can easily see McBeane making a small trade up to get they're Cam Newton in Josh Allen which btw would be a monumental mistake because he sucks.

To be honest i don't trust the process especially when bringing in or drafting offensive talent. These guys have yet to prove they are capable of building a NFL offensive unit by bringing bk basically the same core of scrub Wrs, RBs & TEs from last yr .  Back at Band camp they didn't value top offensive talent for many yrs they never truly gave Cam the proper protection he needed or the weaponry desired to help him reach the potential he had to be one of the best QBs in the NFL.  Instead they opted to use the majority of there assets on the defense.  Well so far there on track to do the same things in Buffalo except we don't have Cam .

On 3/24/2018 at 1:01 AM, Dkollidas said:

Right now we have Nate Peterman and AJ McCarron as our QB's, if our objective isn't a QB then this regime won't be around very long imo.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Right now we have Nate Peterman and AJ McCarron as our QB's, if our objective isn't a QB then this regime won't be around very long imo.

My question is will Nick Foles be plan B?  I don't see this regime only having those two QB's and some developmental rookie QB to start the season.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My question is will Nick Foles be plan B?  I don't see this regime only having those two QB's and some developmental rookie QB to start the season.

I don't see him as anything other than another bridge QB, he had the 1 good season with the Eagles, then went to the rams and was really bad, granted it was a bad team but the QB is supposed to elevate players around him and he didn't do that in L.A., I find it hard to believe Andy Reid the QB guru would just let a guy like Nick Foles walk if he thought he was a franchise QB knowing Smith was older and they wouldn't have to invest in a rookie QB like Mahomes. Now I've been wrong before but I think that would be a heavy investment in a guy who's proved before that he can't carry a team from start to finish. These are just my opinions, it's not the end all be all if we traded for him but that's a ton of draft capital, could easily get this regime fired if they swing and miss, no reason not to try and get a QB in this very loaded QB draft class.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't see him as anything other than another bridge QB, he had the 1 good season with the Eagles, then went to the rams and was really bad, granted it was a bad team but the QB is supposed to elevate players around him and he didn't do that in L.A., I find it hard to believe Andy Reid the QB guru would just let a guy like Nick Foles walk if he thought he was a franchise QB knowing Smith was older and they wouldn't have to invest in a rookie QB like Mahomes. Now I've been wrong before but I think that would be a heavy investment in a guy who's proved before that he can't carry a team from start to finish. These are just my opinions, it's not the end all be all if we traded for him but that's a ton of draft capital, could easily get this regime fired if they swing and miss, no reason not to try and get a QB in this very loaded QB draft class.

All great points, but I think he'd be an upgrade over McCarron and Peterman if we can't land any of the top three or four quarterbacks in this draft.  I don't really want to draft a developmental quarterback like Jackson or Rudolph in the 1st.  I would rather fill other holes with that pick.  It may be more realistic that we trade for him after the draft if we can't trade up for the QB Beane wants.  The Eagles don't want him to just walk in free agency so their asking price will be less as the season approaches.  I think they'd be fine with a 2nd round pick in 2019 assuming Wentz doesn't have any setbacks in his recovery.  Not my ideal situation, but that may be our plan B.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:01 AM, Dkollidas said:

3 reasons I think.

First it is to be prepared. IF a quarterback they really want comes within reach, they want to be prepared to try and get him. They are prepared now to trade up,  but it doesn't mean they can get to somebody ahead of the teams who own those top picks outright. The Bills have always lived paycheck to paycheck draft wise. And then they cried poverty when it came to getting a QB in the draft. These guys save some of their money so it is there when they need it.

Second is for most of the trades, they made a profit just on the trade itself. They got a little more value than they gave. 

Third is, needing a QB gave the Bills a reason to say  when they were getting other teams to trade. So with Sammy for example, when teams asked why are you willing to let go of this man? They could say "Because we need a quarterback" instead of "Because he will get a lot of money next year and we don't think he is worth it. Plus he is flaky."

That is what I think.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:43 AM, White Linen said:

So doing private workouts with every top QB is just to fake people out that they'd like to get one?  Why?  

All of this has been to get a QB by building draft capital.  That's two fold, one is they know they need to trade up and second is so they'll have some picks left to fill voids/add depth too.  The move for 12th with trading Glenn got them closer but they may not be able to get close enough, however that doesn't mean they don't want to.  They ultimately may not be able to due to teams not wanting to trade out of their pick or the Bills may not want to pay the price tag.  They are searching for a QB in this draft.

i think it's out of their hands if the browns keep the 4th pick. if mayfield...assuming the other 3 are gone, makes it to 6 then we move and it won't kill us. we should be able to use 12 and a pick from next year...hopefully.

my second choice is rudolph and i hope the fins don't screw us at 11. i would have no problem taking him at 12.

BTW  i predicted on march 10 that we would sign a.j.   i also predicted in that post that our qb lineup would be

a.j. / nate / rudolph.  while i love mayfield above all the others, i'm getting the feeling that we will not sacrifice all the goods it will take to move up far enough and/or someone will jump us with an outrageously foolish package.

that being said, i see rudolph at 6'5" with all his accomplishments being the fit for this f.o.

Edited by billsredneck1

On 25/03/2018 at 2:27 AM, Patriot Killa said:

I think it’s the goal of any and every team that doesn’t have a QB..QB is single handily the most important position of them all and in this era of passing its vital to at least have an above average QB. 

Recent years have shown that you dont don’t have to have an elite QB if you have a great supporting cast around him.

we seen journeyman like Case Keenum and Nick Foles have success in the playoffs because the schemes were built around their strengths and supporting cast further helped them along.

With all things considered it definitely was the Bills goal in my eyes to grab a QB and begin craft around him. Just as it is the Browns, Cardinals and my Jets goal to get a QB and build around him. You guys have so many picks..I almost say stay at 12 and pick players that can really help your guy as well as grow with him in the new offense. Then again, you don’t know who will actually be there at 12 so there calls for good reasoning to trade up. 

All and All,

I believe you guys can put together a competitive team with a rookie QB just as any team can with the right moves.

3-4 years from now to look back on it and see how the AFC East looks without Brady is going to be wild. It’s all about creating for the future in the AFCE right now. Because I can tell ya’ now...as soon as that blow hard Brady leaves and Belicheck retires..the Jets, Bills and Dolphins will have a much easier path to the playoffs.

Very good points. Very well thought out and very well spoken. Are you sure you're a Jet fan? :lol::lol:

All in all, right now the Fins, Jets and Bills should be prepping for AFCE post Bradachick. I really think the team that will have the best chance as sustainable success after those 2 jagoffs leave will be the team that hits better on the QB this year. Please please let the Jets get Allen and Fins go after Rudolph.:P

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 1