Do pro sports coaches need to submit resumes when they apply for jobs?

Another Fan

Head coach positions, where as you state is easy enough to check records, I would think not. But someone applying for a beginner type assistant or maybe high school coach, they should have something to present that can be verified. 

I have had to interview for every football position I have ever had

not always like a typical job interview but more focused on you and your vision for the team

some black board work and some Xs and Os to see how you process the game... lots of tough questions to see how resilient your character is...

do you persevere? Or do you fold 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

not sure about pro, but that Oleary dude got pooped can from some college job for lying on his resume no?

Yup. From Notre Dame. Technically he resigned, but it was because the lies on his resume were discovered. So the answer to the OP's question is yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/15/sports/notre-dame-coach-resigns-after-5-days-and-a-few-lies.html

Edited by Steve O

On 3/23/2018 at 11:23 AM, Steve O said:

Yup. From Notre Dame. Technically he resigned, but it was because the lies on his resume were discovered. So the answer to the OP's question is yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/15/sports/notre-dame-coach-resigns-after-5-days-and-a-few-lies.html

Wow....those were dark days.  Not so much the O'leary affair, but the whole Bob Davie-Tyrone Willingham era.

A decent LinkedIn profile should get you a job like Notre Dame or USC. I think that’s where they look first. The pros also check jobs.com and all the other sources...very deep research. 

:)

It's a simple question.  Is it accepted culture/practice for major league sports coaches to formally submit a written resume/CV when seeking a coaching position, or isn't it?

I think it probably is, actually, but I don't know for sure.

I was clerking in the Sabres' legal department when Darcy Regier was hired as GM, and then shortly after when Lindy Ruff was hired as HC.

I don't recall formal resumes moving around the office, but I wouldn't necessarily have seen them for sure if they had existed.

I would think it's similar to the film industry or players. Coaches have agents in agencies, those agencies would inform leagues people they have available with write ups of their previous work credentials. Teams would then look over these lists and inform the agents they would like to interview a client of theirs.

I don't think it's like other jobs where they just say they need a coach and people just submit a resume to them