Open Photography Thread

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is one from February... South Chicago (work Calumet River)... Literally next door to old SuperFund sites.  Silent Spring is long gone.  Somewhere Rachel Carson is smiling:

700mm, f18.0, 1/1000, ISO 500

IMG_7333.jpg

But I don’t know how to compress what I have. It’s not raw, I got it on a disk from my old vet who sorted through them and tinkered a bit. It seems that now half of photography is done on the computer. I have some cool stuff on my desktop but this is all from my iPad. 

I really need something to do (especially when it’s not tennis weather), and I think maybe getting into the processing end of this is an option. Any suggestions on learning about all this? I was into it 30+ years ago when it was film and expensive, then we had kids, film $ went to diaper $ and I took a few decades off. I’m no computer wiz, but I need a hobby at least. 

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Northern Kaikoura Coast.  

_MG_8311 TBD.jpg

That’s very cool. I love taking a look at things from a little different point of view. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

But I don’t know how to compress what I have. It’s not raw, I got it on a disk from my old vet who sorted through them and tinkered a bit. It seems that now half of photography is done on the computer. I have some cool stuff on my desktop but this is all from my iPad. 

I have been using a compression app.  "Photo Compress"... Very easy, but kinda hit and miss finding a sweet spot. Take it too low and looks like garbage on this site.  Is what it is.  

Not to hog things up here, but tips are greatly appreciated!

Mama Eagle:

IMG_7339.jpg

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Digital is a complete game changer. Just fire away!  You’re not blowing film, you don’t have to change film for light conditions. Amazing. 

Yep!  Yet, I do find myself getting sloppy and lazy with the crop... Not composing.

So many wildcards with a film exposure!

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I just had a thought that might have had me banished for a healthy while.

I’ll go back to wishing I could get my nature photos down to size so I could post. 

I’ve gotten to where I find it hard to justify carrying around the camera gear. I love playing with the big camera, but who wants to drag around a slide rule the size of a microwave? 

I too have a DSLR around somewhere...no desire to look for it or use it at the moment. When I go hiking, my phone fits into my pocket. It's easy. I see people on the trails w/ cameras draped around their necks and it doesn't look comfortable. Of course I'm limited on what I can shoot, so I have to be creative. Makes for better photos if you ask me. I can't shrink mine down either (at work, limited on what I can do or care to do at the moment). 

www.instagram.com/ejmiller707/

4 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

I too have a DSLR around somewhere...no desire to look for it or use it at the moment. When I go hiking, my phone fits into my pocket. It's easy. I see people on the trails w/ cameras draped around their necks and it doesn't look comfortable. Of course I'm limited on what I can shoot, so I have to be creative. Makes for better photos if you ask me. I can't shrink mine down either (at work, limited on what I can do or care to do at the moment). 

www.instagram.com/ejmiller707/

True... But nice having the big kit as a tool in one's personal aresenal is a pleasure, asset.

I am kinda the opposite, I never jumped into the bigger body since the film days. Full frame was just too expensive.

Now after 15 or so years, digital has shaken out and truly won (who didn't think it wouldn't).  I have no problem investing in a full frame body now and utilizing my lens from 30-40 years ago.  It's become a hobby again.  I am glad Pentax didn't away.  I guess these were the years I was waiting for. I think I may even scour E-Bay, etc... For old optics, to see how they coupl with the digital era.

It's... Still about quantity and portability now, like posting pictures, etc... But being older, more time to "smell the roses", got more ambition (and disk space) to carry around the tank and know that you have the quality back... Not just the quantity.

Again, totally agree with you... There is still a time and place.

42 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

central_terminal_trees.jpg

Central Terminal, Fall '17. F11, 1/250, ISO200 on my ancient Canon Rebel XS. Hopefully by this fall I can save enough scratch to afford a new 70D. 

Do you compress them right on the commuter?

Nice being able to zoom in on an attachment.  I don't want to have to "follow somebody"... Things like Instagram, FB, Twitter, just too gratuitous... They are gleaning your info, ads, etc... :mellow:

33 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

True... But nice having the big kit as a tool in one's personal aresenal is a pleasure, asset.

I am kinda the opposite, I never jumped into the bigger body since the film days. Full frame was just too expensive.

Now after 15 or so years, digital has shaken out and truly won (who didn't think it wouldn't).  I have no problem investing in a full frame body now and utilizing my lens from 30-40 years ago.  It's become a hobby again.  I am glad Pentax didn't away.  I guess these were the years I was waiting for. I think I may even scour E-Bay, etc... For old optics, to see how they coupl with the digital era.

It's... Still about quantity and portability now, like posting pictures, etc... But being older, more time to "smell the roses", got more ambition (and disk space) to carry around the tank and know that you have the quality back... Not just the quantity.

Again, totally agree with you... There is still a time and place.

Do you compress them right on the commuter?

Nice being able to zoom in on an attachment.  I don't want to have to "follow somebody"... Things like Instagram, FB, Twitter, just too gratuitous... They are gleaning your info, ads, etc... :mellow:

I need to dig mine out. I have an Olympus, which I preferred as it was a tad smaller than other cameras. Finding lenses though was a bit of a hassle due to their 4/3 system. Even on EBay or other sites, they were still pricey due to their (for a lack of a better word at the moment)...uniqueness.  When I'm out and about, I take my time....always looking for new angles to shoot on stale trails to some new material. Hobbies that go hand in hand...hiking / photography. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I need to dig mine out. I have an Olympus, which I preferred as it was a tad smaller than other cameras. Finding lenses though was a bit of a hassle due to their 4/3 system. Even on EBay or other sites, they were still pricey due to their (for a lack of a better word at the moment)...uniqueness.  When I'm out and about, I take my time....always looking for new angles to shoot on stale trails to some new material. Hobbies that go hand in hand...hiking / photography. 

Through the years had a few Olympus point and shoots... One in early 2000s that I got a waterproof housing from Europe (didn't sell in American market)... Best way, cheapest during that era to get into underwater photography... Get cheap digital and housing... Then they started making them all in one... That housing is a big brick now.  I think camera used SmartMedia... 

LoL... Always stayed left of center with Pentax/Olympus.  Eskimos don't buy refrigerator mentality.  Canon seemed too mainstream.  Nikon, pricey... Maybe would have started out with a Nikkor collection.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

I bought a binocular harness for my Canon, just like the link below. It's comfortable when hiking, keeps it close to you body, it's not swinging all over the place like a shoulder strap, and it's right there when you see something you want to get a picture of...

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/vortex-binocular-harness-strap-16voruhrnssstrpxxopt/16voruhrnssstrpxxopt?

It was about $20 when I bought mine several years ago. I started looking at camera harness's, only to find that because the description said "camera", places were charging an extra $20-$30, for the same product. 

My contribution.....

From the summit of Azure in the Adirondacks, back in July of 2011

IMG_3807 Stitch (2).jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I bought a binocular harness for my Canon, just like the link below. It's comfortable when hiking, keeps it close to you body, it's not swinging all over the place like a shoulder strap, and it's right there when you see something you want to get a picture of...

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/vortex-binocular-harness-strap-16voruhrnssstrpxxopt/16voruhrnssstrpxxopt?

It was about $20 when I bought mine several years ago. I started looking at camera harness's, only to find that because the description said "camera", places were charging an extra $20-$30, for the same product. 

My contribution.....

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOj_GMb7Xqunxmag1zt-i6dO6SGJJ5M1NJi_qee/photo/AF1QipMBmIiFBjwcEe9TrLfN9EGZGcBvcZJMl7P6rrns

I have a Tamrac version from the film era.  The "camera" version actually has a round donut shaped piece of neoprene with hole cut out to put lens through and hold camera body to chest.

Safe as in your Mama's womb and you don't even feel it there.  Pack on back, all set!

Crappy photo... Original was whopping 10mb and still crappy off cellphone.

That's the piece of neoprene to hold camera body to chest.

20180324_123347_1.jpg

To shoot the bald eagles in February... I was walking through knee deep snow on the dam at work with a co-worker's Canon rig, strapless and about 3 grand cradled in my hands... Praying that nobody at work left material, pipe, ice-chipper, pike poles, etc... On dam and under the new snow... My co-worker was out snowblowing the eye-wall... I can see he was nervous... :lol:

I said: "I saw that look of desperation on your face.  Don't worry, if I ditched... I am cradling it with my body..." :lol: I had sturdy Baffin pac boots on, was sure footed.  I can't lie... I was scared outta my mind!  I should probably post this in the scared thread! ;)

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

My contribution.....

IMG_3807 Stitch (2).jpg

thanks, I'll look into that. 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Always stayed left of center with Pentax/Olympus.  Eskimos don't buy refrigerator mentality.  Canon seemed too mainstream.  Nikon, pricey... Maybe would have started out with a Nikkor collection.

I tend to do that w/ as well, in most things I buy. I was never a Canon guy, and yes Nikon was too pricey for my needs / desires at the time (bought camera to get action shots of my daughter playing volleyball).