Texans to host Lamar Jackson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922627/article/texans-host-qb-lamar-jackson-for-private-workout

Having Deshaun Watson in the building has not precluded the Houston Texansfrom exploring any and all options at quarterback. 

Houston hosted Louisville QB Lamar Jackson for a private workout on Wednesday, a source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The Texans worked out Jackson solely as a quarterback.

Rapoport added that the Texans want to "be prepared" for unforeseen scenarios on draft week, like Jackson being available for them at the 68th pick, Houston's first selection in this year's draft.

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If we held at pick #12, and drafted Jackson, I would not be upset. In some ways, he is my favorite QB prospect in this draft.

I've been warming up to that idea myself.  5 picks in the top 65 could plug quite a few holes.  5, to be exact.

Jackson @ 12

Vander Esch @ 22

Some combination of WR, OT, CB, OG/C, DE, RB

Playoffs!

8 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

They could also bring in players for a visit to prepare against them should a future opponent draft him, or maybe see him as a fit down the line if his rookie contract isn't renewed?

The first half of this, I could see as being entirely feasible. Highly unlikely that he ends up with a divisional foe but it doesn't hurt to have some info on a players' thought processes etc.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Please watch Jackson try to make horizontal throws instead of vertical throws and tell me you still want him.  In that sense he is very much like Taylor.  I don't care to see LeSean McCoy have to break his stride to come back to the ball on poorly thrown short passes anymore.  

This will likely date me some, but I could certainly see a team treating Jackson like the Steelers treated Kordell Stewart.  When the Steelers took Stewart, they used him as a WR and a gadget player at the beginning of his career because he was too dynamic to not have on the field, as he grew comfortable in the offense they transitioned him to QB and O'Donnell went to the Jets in FA.

For that reason, I don't know that he would last that long, but man could I see the Patriots drafting him, using him at WR and occasional RPO QB as they transition him to TB's long term replacement.

8 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This will likely date me some, but I could certainly see a team treating Jackson like the Steelers treated Kordell Stewart.  When the Steelers took Stewart, they used him as a WR and a gadget player at the beginning of his career because he was too dynamic to not have on the field, as he grew comfortable in the offense they transitioned him to QB and O'Donnell went to the Jets in FA.

For that reason, I don't know that he would last that long, but man could I see the Patriots drafting him, using him at WR and occasional RPO QB as they transition him to TB's long term replacement.

The problem is what did it ultimately gain?