New Rule Changes & Bylaws Adopted for 2018 at Owners Meetings - Helmet Lowering Rule Also Adopted

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to New Rule Changes & Bylaws Adopted for 2018 at Owners Meetings - Targeting Rule Might Also Be Adopted
18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Gronk hit was not flagged IIRC.   

I remember the Bills getting flags but not Gronk. 

As discussed this may apply to a “targeting” rule.    Or are they the same thing? 

Yes, that rule almost seems wrongly worded.

It should say an off-field official can tell an on-field official to eject a player even if no penalty was called; i.e., if someone watching replays of the whole field sees something really bad that the live officiating crew missed, they can phone in an ejection from the review booth.

Well, that is at least the rule that would have penalized Gronk for his wicked cheap shot intent to kill play.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The college targeting rule is the worst thing in college football outside of Tuscaloosa.

I like the principle of the rule but the execution of it is still really inconsistent. Given how haphazard the NFL is with most rules, I have zero doubt that they'll !@#$ it up.

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

On a review they can ADD flags if they choose.

I find #7 interesting but the section in RED is wrong - it is based on statistics and there is no way to prove that the scheduling rules are cause of issue.

7.) (From the San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals, and Los Angeles Chargers)
Without the consent of the team impacted, no team will be scheduled to play more than three away games with a scheduled kickoff time prior to 1 p.m. in the time zone of their home stadium. With three Pacific teams, each potentially playing four such games this season, this rule would allow for only up to to three total games for each of them to be played in the Eastern or Central time zone during the late afternoon slot if they were not selected by the networks to be there already. In some years, each Pacific team has five or six potential morning body clock games. According to the proposal, current scheduling rules can result in a single team playing up to six away games with an “inherent disadvantage” (body clock) while their divisional opponents may only have one such game, and playing in the early Sunday time slot after long travel reduces the win rate for the road team from 45.2-percent to 33.5-percent.

I absolutely LOVE this proposal.

I’m sick of three or four late games on the Sunday ticket. This should make the 1pm and later games more balanced for more viewing options.

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I absolutely LOVE this proposal.

I’m sick of three or four late games on the Sunday ticket. This should make the 1pm and later games more balanced for more viewing options.

Didn't pass.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Didn't pass.

Go figure.

Seriously, whether through that proposal or just making some east teams play a couple later games at home a year, it would be nice to have more of a variety to choose from. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to New Rule Changes & Bylaws Adopted for 2018 at Owners Meetings - Helmet Lowering Rule Also Adopted

NFL Expands Helmet-Hit Rule, Working on Targeting

The NFL approved the broadening of the helmet-hit rule that will penalize players who lead with the crown of their helmets to initiate contact against an opponent on any play, NFL Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay announced Tuesday.

Offending players would be penalized 15 yards and may be disqualified depending on the severity of the hit. McKay said the Competition Committee and the league "felt it was time" to make the change in order to better enhance player safety. Clubs will continue to work on a targeting rule similar to the college football rule in which players would be automatically ejected for hitting with the helmet. Nothing regarding a targeting rule has been finalized by the NFL.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Clement catch was obviously ruled differently and would have been incomplete in the regular season.

Ertz covered 7 yards and took 4 steps with the football.  Are they really saying that catch would have been incomplete in the regular season?  The NFL is crazy.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Ertz covered 7 yards and took 4 steps with the football.  Are they really saying that catch would have been incomplete in the regular season?  The NFL is crazy.

Ertz became a runner so I'm not sure why Riveron included that play.  That's why I didn't mention his play. 

• Like (+1) 1