Our O line next year...

keithg

Good thread and discussion here.

I'm sorry, but I have some cold water to throw around in here. First, bear in mind that, traditionally, the Bills devote only 9-10 roster spots for OL. What I'm counting here, if more FAs are signed that means someone currently in the group gets the red card in the locker on cut day. This kind of talk also implies that JM doesn't know how to do his job, which includes development as one of his fortes. I'm all for drafting a C high and possibly a G later and cut L. Smith. If a FA is signed, that wastes the input to either McFarland or Peters. But the one-track acquisition frenzy isn't the best mindset, played out in how TD is operating.

But the team also has a big hole on the line on the other side of the ball. Don't think this is going to be ignored. DT will also be a priority on day one if the right guy is there.

272448[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but I honestly believe the Bills consider Peters a possible starter at LT this season. Watching him manhandle Bryce Fisher in the Rams game made me realize he had real potential at LT. He opened the hole for the McGahee 50+ yard TD(the one where he hurdled Adam Archuleta) that was called back on a ticky-tack holding call on Lee Evans. He is quick off the snap and powerful. LT is the most athletically demanding OL position, but probably the least demanding mentally, which makes it a better fit for the inexperienced Peters. I wouldn't put it past McNally to have this guy ready at some point in training camp.

Call me crazy, but I honestly believe the Bills consider Peters a possible starter at LT this season.  Watching him manhandle Bryce Fisher in the Rams game made me realize he had real potential at LT.  He opened the hole for the McGahee 50+ yard TD(the one where he hurdled Adam Archuleta) that was called back on a ticky-tack holding call on Lee Evans.  He is quick off the snap and powerful.  LT is the most athletically demanding OL position, but probably the least demanding mentally, which makes it a better fit for the inexperienced Peters. I wouldn't put it past McNally to have this guy ready at some point in training camp.

272475[/snapback]

You are crazy, but not that far off in this post. Who can tell what goes on w/the Bills' coaches anyway? Maybe they really do believe Peters can, at the very least, compete for the starting spot. And, who's to say they aren't right?

Call me crazier, but if Peters is really that good, and that talented, and physically able to play well enough to be considered a starter at LT in the NFL, AND has speed and soft hands we already know he has, why the hell wouldn't you keep him at TE? It would be a dominating position.

Having an extra OT at either side of the line would help the running game tremendously. Having him able to beat a backer straight down the field would open up the pass game in several ways. Teams wouldn't know whether he would be going out on a pattern or staying in to pass block which would allow the running backs all kinds of opportunities in the pass game. If your TE could run like a WR and block like an LT and is bigger than either, wouldn't that be a better overall team? Having a tremendous TE and an adequate LT you could sign for 3 mil, rather than a pretty good LT and a nobody TE?

I thought the main reason Peters was cut during training camp(later brought back to the practice squad after clearing waivers) was that he couldn't block for sh-- as a TE. Now all of a sudden, his blocking is good enough to be the starting LT?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought the main reason Peters was cut during training camp(later brought back to the practice squad after clearing waivers) was that he couldn't block for sh-- as a TE.  Now all of a sudden, his blocking is good enough to be the starting LT?

I'll believe it when I see it.

272504[/snapback]

Apparently when he was in college he got very little coaching at all. The team didn't even have a TE coach. Even though the scouts liked him a lot, and many had him going in the 3rd or 4th round, the only reason he didn't is because without seeing him play, teams didn't know whether he was better suited for a TE or OL spot. If you were drafting for position, you couldn't really count on him, so he kept slipping.

When the Bills signed him he was completely raw and they couldn't afford to keep him on the active roster so they cut him early hoping they could sneak him back on the practice squad, which they eventually did. When they started actually working with him and saw his talents, he quickly showed them he could play in this league, which I think was evidenced by several individual extraordinary plays that he had. Personally I think it may be best to forget about him as LT this year, but work him there the entire season as much as possible to perhaps be ready to play next year.

Personally I think it may be best to forget about him as LT this year, but work him there the entire season as much as possible to perhaps be ready to play next year.

272506[/snapback]

Now this is a scenario that is a little more believable. I just can't see him making a jump from TE to starting LT in such a short period of time. Work with him for another year and see where he stands in 2006.

Let's assume TT moves to LT.  Any names from this list of FA OC's that could provide a 1 or 2 year stop gap at OC.....

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=196&p=9&c=12&...3&lnid=83&pid=9

272585[/snapback]

I'm somewhat surprised that Tobeck is getting no interest on the FA market...he's been a very solid Center for a long time. Perhaps age has caught up to him.