Hits and Misses: How Successful Was GM Buddy Nix In The NFL Draft?

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

That makes sense.  But shouldn’t a hit in the seventh round be worth more points than a hit in the first round?  Percentage wise a large number of first round talents have a much greater success rate than in the later rounds. If you can find a hit at the bottom of the draft, it shows some good decision making IMO

Are we going to pull out secondary and honors now?  Regardless, 1 productive season does not make him a hit in my book.  

He’s certainly close.  But in the grand scheme of things he had mininmal impact on the team.

Games played is not a good indicator of success.  Based on your rationale Todd Collins was a hit in the 2nd round. 

No based on my Rationale a 6th rounder having any kind of nfl career is a slam dunk. But Carry on, I think we’ve already been round on this on in the extremely flawed Polian re cap. 

30 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I never liked the CJ Spiller pick at #8.  Textbook case of a great athlete masquerading as a competent football player.

I think prioritizing athletes over football players was a problem Nix and Whaley both had with their drafts.  

I am in agreement with you.  He was a nice player but did not have the impact at RB that a Top 10 pick should.

Sadly, there are people in this thread who argued Spiller was a hit!  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No based on my Rationale a 6th rounder having any kind of nfl career is a slam dunk. But Carry on, I think we’ve already been round on this on in the extremely flawed Polian re cap. 

Nope it’s not flawed.  Some people just have a wider definition of success than others.  Like I just said, some want to call C.J. Spiller at #8 a good selection

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Doh....:worthy:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Kiko-Alonso-named-PFWA-Defensive-Rookie-of-the-Year/8424f08d-e0ad-44a1-92ba-330046ca3a91

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1945065-nfl-rookie-of-the-year-2013-14-results-offensive-defensive-winners-and-recap

NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Voting

Player Position No. of votes
Sheldon Richardson, New York Jets DE 23
Kiko Alonso, Buffalo Bills LB 19
Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints S 4
Tyrann Mathieu, Arizona Cardinals S 2
Star Lotulelei, Carolina Panthers DT 2

Meh- he was ok, but he’s no Da’Norris Searcy. ?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Meh- he was ok, but he’s no Da’Norris Searcy. 

He played ONE season.  ONE season.  Does that really constitute a hit?  I don’t think so - the same reason why I will call one of my favorite Bills players Karlos Williams a miss.  

There needs to be at least some longetivity to constitute a hit.  Kiko played one year

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

He played ONE season.  ONE season.  Does that really constitute a hit?  I don’t think so - the same reason why I will call one of my favorite Bills players Karlos Williams a miss.  

There needs to be at least some longetivity to constitute a hit.  Kiko played one year

Sure, he played one year.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

52 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

That makes sense.  But shouldn’t a hit in the seventh round be worth more points than a hit in the first round?  Percentage wise a large number of first round talents have a much greater success rate than in the later rounds. If you can find a hit at the bottom of the draft, it shows some good decision making IMO

A seventh rounder would be worth more only if you are using he same exact standard for a “hit” across all rounds.