Ten Reasons to Not Get QB Drunk in the Draft

Irv

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yeah, my top 5 reasons for not blowing their wad on moving up, some version of this:

12: Vea/Smith

22: Vander Esch (Ridley If Smith goes at 12)

53: Josh Jackson

56: Goedert (or Harrison if Smith is taken)

65: Ragnow

Gonna roll with AJM and your boy Peterman all year?

Edgy.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Gonna roll with AJM and your boy Peterman all year?

Edgy.

I'm ok going all in if they are very confident in who they pick.  If they think Darnold is the man, then I'm ok going for the #1 pick with the Browns; but if they're not certain, then it's a very, very high cost.

5 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

well ya... but i think we are dealing with a certain level of things being assumed at this point.

a possible bust is one of them.

These guys have to address this and the plan seems smart ASSUMING that they LOVE a guy.

If they keep kicking the qb can to the next year it will continue to prolong the inevitable. 

Many people look at everything done thus far as accumulating this cache of draft currency as ammo for a qb. It started as soon as last years trade happened.

So, as they may never have the ammo again, and hopefully wont be bad enough to be #1 or #2 on their own, dont have a young qb, have a quality class with a few top tier options, the time is now. Their jobs may even depend on it to a degree, but that cant scare them away from it. Waiting until a year with no blue chippers could have the same effect. IMO, theyve earned their chance for our trust for them to take a swing.

I hope they swing away

Good post.  I do agree with you in that I also hope they swing away.

However we DO have a young quarterback on our roster, Mr Nathan Peterman.   I do not believe he is as "damaged goods", as many of my fellow posters, family members, fellow Bills fans, and also a very opinionated Siamese cat that lives above me, believe him to be. But nonetheless I have moved firmly into the camp of "get a QB THIS YEAR, and spend whatever it takes to get him."  

IMHO, the only results I will be happy with(via trading up) are Rosen or Mayfield.  Darnold, okay I guess.  Allen, please kill me.  Jackson at 12, I still think is too high.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Lets look at the Browns and the Bills starting QBs for the past 20 years. The Bills have Had 20 and the Browns 30. 1 Of those was a top 5 pick, Tim Couch. He busted the team lost 4 year finding out he wasn't the answer. That's obviously bad. The teams combined however spent 36 years finding out that 49 late 1st round picks, later round picks, trades and free agents wern't the answer, that is far far worse. 

With all due respect,  Cleveland has been such a disfunctional mess that  they could have had JC Himself playing QB and still would be a bottom feeder.

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

With all due respect,  Cleveland has been such a disfunctional mess that  they could have had JC Himself playing QB and still would be a bottom feeder.

Could say the same thing about the Bills. Prior to this year, Cleveland had actually made the playoffs more recently than we had.

50 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You liked those guys before they were drafted. Right.

Take a long look in the mirror, you're promoting mediocrity.

We’re just philosophically opposed. I believe in building to success - you believe in quick wins. 

You cant promote mediocrity any more than average “joe six pack” ?

what i I thought about those guys is irrelevant. It’s not my job. Those teams all got their guy without bankrupting the franchise.

why isn’t you and Daniel Snyder can’t see this? 

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We’re just philosophically opposed. I believe in building to success - you believe in quick wins. 

You cant promote mediocrity any more than average “joe six pack” ?

what i I thought about those guys is irrelevant. It’s not my job. Those teams all got their guy without bankrupting the franchise.

why isn’t you and Daniel Snyder can’t see this? 

SO you propose, getting lucky and hoping that 11 other teams just don't like a guy?

but you know lets grab all that "talent" and have Nate peterman throw 5INts in a game and see how well that talent holds up. 

55 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yeah, my top 5 reasons for not blowing their wad on moving up, some version of this:

12: Vea/Smith

22: Vander Esch (Ridley If Smith goes at 12)

53: Josh Jackson

56: Goedert (or Harrison if Smith is taken)

65: Ragnow

But what if those guys busts out, they are not guarantees, right?

Edited by CountDorkula

11 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

How many of those 49 QBs ended up having success outside of Cleveland or Buffalo? Teams end up a mess because they don't find a QB. Cincy was a dysfunction mess for 20 years coincidentally they stopped being one when they ended up getting multiple years of success out of Palmer, same with the lions and Stafford, and so on. Its hard to get a good QB teams end up messes until they do. 

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

SO you propose, getting lucky and hoping that 11 other teams just don't like a guy?

but you know lets grab all that "talent" and have Nate peterman throw 5INts in a game and see how well that talent holds up. 

No. I propose the talent scouts do their job and find a QB that can succeed in the NFL that hasn’t already been anointed as a perennial probowler by Mel Kiper and can be had. 

Hitting on any pick= getting “lucky”

They should be be able to find a good to great qb with one of their existing picks. 

and im fine with them grabbing one in the third or fourth as well to hedge and upgrade over NP. 

AJM should start this season unless a rook kills it in camp a la Russell.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No. I propose the talent scouts do their job and find a QB that can succeed in the NFL that hasn’t already been anointed as a perennial probowler by Mel Kiper and can be had. 

Hitting on any pick= getting “lucky”

They should be be able to find a good to great qb with one of their existing picks. 

and im fine with them grabbing one in the third or fourth as well to hedge and upgrade over NP. 

AJM should start this season unless a rook kills it in camp a la Russell.

Unless they are all taken by them, which seems likely. 

its just that easy, just get a QB with pick x, why don't all teams do it this way?

So your plan is to draft a late round QB and hope they can beat the odds, and point out an outlier and not the norm.

We should wait until the 6th RD, Tom Brady was drafted then, its fool proof that it will work again. 

Edited by CountDorkula

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

Unless they are all taken by them, which seems likely. 

its just that easy, just get a QB with pick x, why don't all teams do it this way?

When you are dealing with the 32 most elite athletic programs in the world easy is a foolish word. 

But if easy is what you want, forking over 1/4 or 1/5 of your likely future starting line up for a coin toss, at best, with fingers crossed is at least an easy answer to placate those with instant gratification on their minds. 

I guess at this point its like arguing religion. 

5 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Good post.  I do agree with you in that I also hope they swing away.

However we DO have a young quarterback on our roster, Mr Nathan Peterman.   I do not believe he is as "damaged goods", as many of my fellow posters, family members, fellow Bills fans, and also a very opinionated Siamese cat believe him to be. But nonetheless I have moved firmly into the camp of "get a QB THIS YEAR, and spend whatever it takes to get him."  

IMHO, the only results I will be happy with(via trading up) are Rosen or Mayfield.  Darnold, okay I guess.  Allen, please kill me.  Jackson at 12, I still think is too high.

Thanks! I dont personally dislike Peterman - he just isnt Rosen or Darnold or whoever you like.

As i mentioned in another thread I dont engage with who is better than who - bc what do we know? I'll defer to the professionals. 

My list is darnold/rosen. I go back and forth on a favorite depending on the most recent film ive watched, article ive read, or discussion ive had. They are MY 1's.

My 3rd favorite is Allen just bc of what he COULD become. 

Mayfield feels safe and i'm cool with that.

Jackson - no thank you. I just want a prototypical dropback guy like Beane has described.

Rudolph- well, if we have to then it is what it is.

BUT at the end of the day, as much as a trade to #2 for Allen or staying at 12 and taking Jackson would bug me... I root for the team. As I stated above, these guys have earned their shot. Its the 1st GM in a while that I havent thought "man, its a shame @YoloinOhio isnt our GM" (compliment, not a knock). They have shown competency and I'll be for whatever pick they take AS LONG AS they arent 'settling' or taking the 'best of the rest' bc they couldnt do what needed to be done to get the guy they loved.  Taking a guy to take a guy seems like a way that is more likley than not to fail save dumb luck. 

Just my POV fwiw

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When you are dealing with the 32 most elite athletic programs in the world easy is a foolish word. 

But if easy is what you want, forking over 1/4 or 1/5 of your likely future starting line up for a coin toss, at best, with fingers crossed is at least an easy answer to placate those with instant gratification on their minds. 

I guess at this point its like arguing religion. 

The Bills are pretty much religion to all of us anyways, it's why we are all here.

Whatever they do, they need to get it right, its been far to long. 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I trust the current administration. If they are sold on a guy, then by all means do it.  However, they better be right, because the cost is 2 years of non-prime draft picks.