The Bills aren't showing they're desperate for a QB

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not exactly sure why. They ended up getting AJ McCarron on the cheap. They stayed away from big money free agency. They allowed a division rival to trade up for a franchise QB. 

The question is why? 

They allowed ??????????????????????????????????????

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

SO get into a bidding war ? for a player that you set value and has been exceeded.

Unless their intentions were to ride out the 2018 season with McCarron and Nathan Pickmeagain, then yes.

If they wanted a QB so badly that they rid the team of their starter, and first playoff qb in almost 20 years, then again, yes.

Edited by 87168

6 minutes ago, 87168 said:

Unless their intentions were to ride out the 2018 season with Mccarron and Nathan Pickmeagain, then yes.

If they wanted a QB so badly that they rid the team of their starter, and first playoff qb in almost 20 years, then again, yes.

OK, then start calling for Beane's head to be fried because he clearly said he won't get into bidding wars.

Personally its disappointing but only a fool chases rainbows and overpays for a player they aren't 100% confident in... QB's in this draft are solid but not worthy of overpaying when the 2nd tier options are not graded that much less.

SO que the fire Bean and McD posts, start up the inept franchise posts and lets wallow in misery every single day just like old times

The jets mortgage a lot to move up....if that QB turns out to be avg they have a whole draft of missed picks to not surrond this QB with

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

If the Jets get the QB they want than they didnt do anything wrong.

OK, taking your scenario.  The Jets get their targeted QB.  Of course they have just given away picks 38 & 49 which could have provided oh maybe an offensive lineman, high end receiving or running threat and let's not forget the I'm now sure very high 2nd round pick in 2019.

Name a QB taken in the first round in the past 15 years who has a worse group of offensive talent surrounding him.  Isaiah Crowell, Bilal Powell, Robbie Anderson, Jerome Kearney.  In fact they just lost their TE.  Their offensive line can be best stated as truly offensive and the front 7 on defense is so awful that their really good secondary is gonna get torched anyways.

History has shown teams that draft a QB high with limited talent around them end up with QB busts.  The sad thing is that the label is caused most probably by what surrounds him more then his own shortcomings.

The thought is open to discussion

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

McDermott and Beane have shown to be good at trading away talent and adding draft capital. Are they capable of doing whatever it takes to get a franchise QB? That remains to be seen. So far no. 

Passing on Watson looks even worse today. 

You mean trading away malcontents and injury prone players making massive bank and not producing? Yeah they were talented,.. at sitting on the pine.

Lets hold off on fitting Mr. Watson with a yellow jacket shall we. Plenty of teams passed on him. Yes he looked amazing in his limited play and could very well be a MVP caliber player for years to come. But his dual threat style of play can lead to injuries. He's already suffered a serious knee injury and that was in practice. We'll learn more in his second year if it was truly a mistake.

And yes I know injuries happen to all players regardless of position and its part of the game.

47 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I get what people are saying, but when you trade away Tyrod Taylor and are left with Peterman you would think there was a plan to add a legit starting QB. Instead they let everyone else sign QB's and got the backup with upside on the cheap. 

This offseason was going well until they failed to get a starting QB. The Bills didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on anything. Visions of Darcy Regier for the Sabres. 

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

McDermott and Beane have shown to be good at trading away talent and adding draft capital. Are they capable of doing whatever it takes to get a franchise QB? That remains to be seen. So far no. 

Passing on Watson looks even worse today. 

1. We are a week into free agency and 5-6 weeks from the draft. I think it is probably the perfect time to start calling Beane out as a failure...

2. Beane wasn't here when the team passed on Watson

• Like (+1) 2

Desperation is not always a bad thing. 

Any front office that isn't "desperate" for a franchise quarterback is foolish and arrogant. 

In the coming weeks, we'll see if the Bills front office truly has a plan.  I really hope they do.  Because right now, it looks like they:

a)  Passed on some good QB prospects in 2017, so they could move up in 2018...

b)  Traded away talent like Sammy Watkins and Cordy Glenn, so they could move up in 2018...

c)  Settled for leftovers in Free Agency, because they were confident in their ability to move up in 2018...

d)  Got jumped by a division rival, and are now on the outside looking in.

We've had plenty of "cool and calm" GMs, who refused to make rash decisions.  Buddy Nix and Marv Levy were two recent examples.

They were willing to just let the draft come to them.  And at the end of the day, we were left with nothing at the most important position in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I’m wondering if this is the most overrated qb class ever. None of these guys is the clear cut favorite 

I don't think it is the all star class it was being made out as 12 months ago when the talking heads were saying the 2017 class was weak (which was not the way the League saw it).  I think there is much more depth to this class than is normal but I only have Rosen as a genuine top 5 grade - although at least 3 will likely go in the top 5.  It is a good class though and a class to take your shot in.  

14 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Desperation is not always a bad thing. 

Any front office that isn't "desperate" for a franchise quarterback is foolish and arrogant. 

In the coming weeks, we'll see if the Bills front office truly has a plan.  I really hope they do.  Because right now, it looks like they:

a)  Passed on some good QB prospects in 2017, so they could move up in 2018...

b)  Traded away talent like Sammy Watkins and Cordy Glenn, so they could move up in 2018...

c)  Settled for leftovers in Free Agency, because they were confident in their ability to move up in 2018...

d)  Got jumped by a division rival, and are now on the outside looking in.

We've had plenty of "cool and calm" GMs, who refused to make rash decisions.  Buddy Nix and Marv Levy were two recent examples.

They were willing to just let the draft come to them.  And at the end of the day, we were left with nothing at the most important position in the NFL.

Beane is playing it out like he thinks he has the best cards, he's just waiting for the best time to strike.  But the supposed best cards don't do you any good if all the dance partners dry up before you play them.

Honestly wouldn't shock me to find out he tried to play the Colts and they called his bluff and took the Jets deal.  Jets don't give up that return without serious competition for the pick.  Beane could already know he got frozen out.

When we were desperate for a QB, we ended up with EJ. How well did that work out?

"b)  Traded away talent like Sammy Watkins and Cordy Glenn, so they could move up in 2018."

They were overpaid and injury prone plus Dawkins' play made Glenn expendable.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not exactly sure why. They ended up getting AJ McCarron on the cheap. They stayed away from big money free agency. They allowed a division rival to trade up for a franchise QB. 

The question is why? 

Beane explained that they placed a value on each UFA QB that they were not willing to exceed.   With regard to the Colts-Jets trade,  Chris Ballard said he didn't want to drop out of the top ten in the draft and that's not in Beane's control. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

When we were desperate for a QB, we ended up with EJ. How well did that work out?

"b)  Traded away talent like Sammy Watkins and Cordy Glenn, so they could move up in 2018."

They were overpaid and injury prone plus Dawkins' play made Glenn expendable.

EJ was the result of Buddy Nix's draft... Beane has already demonstrated that he is a much better GM than Buddy Nix ever was IMHO...

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I’m wondering if this is the most overrated qb class ever. None of these guys is the clear cut favorite 

I don't think it's overrated; if 5.7 is considered to be Early NFL Starters, there's a fair number of them. It's not unusual though.

PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE PICK TEAM GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH

Bortles, Blake QB 6'5" 232 Central Florida Pick 3, Round 1 (3) Jaguars 6.2  

Bridgewater, Teddy QB 6'2" 214 Louisville Pick 32, Round 1 (32) Vikings 6.1  

Carr, Derek QB 6'2" 214 Fresno St. Pick 4, Round 2 (36) Raiders 6.1  

Manziel, Johnny QB 6'0" 207 Texas A&M Pick 22, Round 1 (22) Browns 6.1  

Garoppolo, Jimmy QB 6'2" 226 Eastern Illinois Pick 30, Round 2 (62) Patriots 5.8  

McCarron, AJ QB 6'3" 220 Alabama Pick 24, Round 5 (164) Bengals 5.7  

To me this is the most similar draft to this year. The only thing this year has is one presumably outstanding QB in Sam Darnold. There's nothing wrong with the 2014 draft - ultimately it might prove to provide two unexpected Franchise QBs in the second round. (With two understandings: NFL Draft Tracker isn't the be-all and say-all, and knowing that the NFL Draft Tracker has gotten the QB picks at the top pretty much on point since 2012).

PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE     GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH
  DARNOLD, SAM* QB 6'3" 220 USC     7.0  
  ROSEN, JOSH* QB 6'4" 226 UCLA     6.1  
  MAYFIELD, BAKER QB 6'1" 215 Oklahoma     6.0  
  ALLEN, JOSH QB 6'5" 233 Wyoming     6.0  
  JACKSON, LAMAR* QB 6'3" 200 Louisville     5.9  
  RUDOLPH, MASON QB 6'5" 235 Oklahoma St.     5.6  
  WHITE, MIKE QB 6'4" 225 Western Kentucky     5.6