The Waiting Game

1 week away from free agency and i feel the Bills will not be assertive right off the bat especially when it comes to the QB position.  I believe there intentions are to be patient and play the waiting game. 

The Bills will wait for the big chips to start falling into there places , Cousins, Keenum, McCarron and possibly Foles will land starting roles within the first couple days of free agency.  Those are the first teir guys that will command dollars and yrs to sign the Bills won't be interested in any long-term solutions via free agency.  

I counted 6 teams that definitely need either a long-term solution and or bridge QB . The Bills , Jets,  Browns,  Broncos,  Vikings and Cardinals. 3 or 4 of these 5 tms other then the Bills will land these teir 1 guys depending on what the Eagles will do with Foles. That leaves 2 or 3 teams fighting for 2nd teir or 3rd teir guys. Now keep im mind a couple these teams are primed to take a QB high in the draft.

2nd/3rd Teir QBs these guys will command less money and or less yrs on there contracts. 

Bridgewater 

Bradford

Chase Daniels 

McCown

Cutler

Matt Moore

Mike Glennon

Derek Anderson 

Chad Henne 

Tyrod vs Bridgewater 

With this strategy the Bills will pay Tyrod the 6mil he's owed so unless someone knocks there socks off with a great offer i don't envision him traded until the very least during training camp . This is where Bridgewater comes into play . The Bills will target and sign Teddy to a 1yr prove it deal with a promise for a open QB competition.

Signing Bridgewater at this pt has great value to the Bills they open up competition with Taylor without breaking the bank and keep there options open during the draft.  It also keeps the door open for a possible Taylor trade during training camp depending on how Bridgewater,  Peterman and the Rookie are looking. McBeane strikes me as a conservative duo and they want to have flexibility and security all the way up into the middle of camp. Tyrod offers the security blanket, Bridgewater offers the upside,  Peterman can be fighting for either a starting spot or bkup role and the Rookie will get the time he needs to develop properly and or prove he's ready to go right away. 

The Bills will attack this plan this offseason even if we don't get Bridgewater i can see them signing Chase Daniels or Bradford to fill the upside competition role for Taylor. This is the way i see it going what u guys think. 

Tyrod is the "bridge" QB unless someone will trade for him.

No, they aren't going to sign Bridgewater with Tyrod still on the roster, and Bridgewater isn't coming here with Tyrod on the roster.  If Minny misses on Cousins, I think Bridgewater stays with them.  I think they are likely shopping Tyrod hard right now, if they can move him now for a draft pick they'll sign another bridge QB.  If they can't trade him now, he'll be looked at as the bridge unless the rookie clearly runs away with the job and there's an injury trade opportunity in camp.

16 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

1 week away from free agency and i feel the Bills will not be assertive right off the bat especially when it comes to the QB position.  I believe there intentions are to be patient and play the waiting game. 

The Bills will wait for the big chips to start falling into there places , Cousins, Keenum, McCarron and possibly Foles will land starting roles within the first couple days of free agency.  Those are the first teir guys that will command dollars and yrs to sign the Bills won't be interested in any long-term solutions via free agency.  

I counted 6 teams that definitely need either a long-term solution and or bridge QB . The Bills , Jets,  Browns,  Broncos,  Vikings and Cardinals. 3 or 4 of these 5 tms other then the Bills will land these teir 1 guys depending on what the Eagles will do with Foles. That leaves 2 or 3 teams fighting for 2nd teir or 3rd teir guys. Now keep im mind a couple these teams are primed to take a QB high in the draft.

2nd/3rd Teir QBs these guys will command less money and or less yrs on there contracts. 

Bridgewater 

Bradford

Chase Daniels 

McCown

Cutler

Matt Moore

Mike Glennon

Derek Anderson 

Chad Henne 

Tyrod vs Bridgewater 

With this strategy the Bills will pay Tyrod the 6mil he's owed so unless someone knocks there socks off with a great offer i don't envision him traded until the very least during training camp . This is where Bridgewater comes into play . The Bills will target and sign Teddy to a 1yr prove it deal with a promise for a open QB competition.

Signing Bridgewater at this pt has great value to the Bills they open up competition with Taylor without breaking the bank and keep there options open during the draft.  It also keeps the door open for a possible Taylor trade during training camp depending on how Bridgewater,  Peterman and the Rookie are looking. McBeane strikes me as a conservative duo and they want to have flexibility and security all the way up into the middle of camp. Tyrod offers the security blanket, Bridgewater offers the upside,  Peterman can be fighting for either a starting spot or bkup role and the Rookie will get the time he needs to develop properly and or prove he's ready to go right away. 

The Bills will attack this plan this offseason even if we don't get Bridgewater i can see them signing Chase Daniels or Bradford to fill the upside competition role for Taylor. This is the way i see it going what u guys think. 

Foles isn't a free agent.  

I'll also promise you, that you do not know their intentions.  

12 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I'm pretty sure you know that Foles isn't a FA, and it's a good question whether or not the Eagles are seriously willing to trade him.   If they are willing, they're in no hurry.  Wait until the "Big Dogs" find homes and the teams that lose out start to pile up the trade goods higher.

12 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

(....) The Bills will target and sign Teddy to a 1yr prove it deal with a promise for a open QB competition.

I think that's a plan where the Bills lose their hat...and any plan where you lose your hat is a Bad Plan.

-In interviews post-season, when asked how he can improve Tyrod has said the #1 thing for him is to get in a lot of time throwing to his new WR.  I've previously commented that Tyrod seems to be a guy who needs a lot of familiarity with his WR and their speed and the way they run routes to connect successfully, more so than other QB.  Either Move ON! from Tyrod or set him up for success.  

-While it's more true for Tyrod, it's true of ANY QB that an "open competition" dilutes the reps the WR and QB need to build success, and dilutes the time the coaches have to work with guys.  Dilution is not the Solution to QB Pollution.  How does a 4 way competition "strengthen" the team?

-I think in the QB-hungry NFL, Bridgewater and Bradford will both be offered contracts longer than 1 year "prove it" and in better situations than competing with 3 other guys

-IMO, the first attribute any QB can bring is "availability".  I consider Bridgewater's knee to be a major, major risk.  Ditto Bradford.  I don't see how it improves the Bills to throw significant cap space at guys who are not proven durable.  Say Bridgewater looks better than Tyrod during camp.  So you trade Tyrod.   In the first preseason game, Bridgewater's knee blows out.  Now what?

• Like (+1) 1

Make a trade for Foles! When else is the relatively young and injury free Super Bowl MVP going to be sitting there and just when you have a team in need of a QB perched on the edge of the playoffs. Answer? Never.

If it doesn’t work out after a couple of years so be it, but at least we won’t be watching TT run around or waiting for some unknown rookie to bump some ‘bridge’ guy from the starting lineup. I’ll take a guy who beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl every time!

I wrote what the Eagles do with Foles didn't know i had to specify exactly for u guys to understand.  I also wrote possibly  Foles.  

Btw this makes perfect sense signing Bridgewater especially if the Bills want to wait on trading Tyrod until training camp. Bridgewater won't sign a big deal its worth the money if his salary is set a certain way.  Once those teir1 guys fall these other QBs gonna be looking for at least a competition for a starting job. I think its very possible we bring in Bridgewater to compete. 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm pretty sure you know that Foles isn't a FA, and it's a good question whether or not the Eagles are seriously willing to trade him.   If they are willing, they're in no hurry.  Wait until the "Big Dogs" find homes and the teams that lose out start to pile up the trade goods higher.

I think that's a plan where the Bills lose their hat...and any plan where you lose your hat is a Bad Plan.

-In interviews post-season, when asked how he can improve Tyrod has said the #1 thing for him is to get in a lot of time throwing to his new WR.  I've previously commented that Tyrod seems to be a guy who needs a lot of familiarity with his WR and their speed and the way they run routes to connect successfully, more so than other QB.  Either Move ON! from Tyrod or set him up for success.  

-While it's more true for Tyrod, it's true of ANY QB that an "open competition" dilutes the reps the WR and QB need to build success, and dilutes the time the coaches have to work with guys.  Dilution is not the Solution to QB Pollution.  How does a 4 way competition "strengthen" the team?

-I think in the QB-hungry NFL, Bridgewater and Bradford will both be offered contracts longer than 1 year "prove it" and in better situations than competing with 3 other guys

-IMO, the first attribute any QB can bring is "availability".  I consider Bridgewater's knee to be a major, major risk.  Ditto Bradford.  I don't see how it improves the Bills to throw significant cap space at guys who are not proven durable.  Say Bridgewater looks better than Tyrod during camp.  So you trade Tyrod.   In the first preseason game, Bridgewater's knee blows out.  Now what?

Your definitely over thinking here.  Timing with wrs naw man his clock is broken he sucks . He's a pussycat the only clock he needs to work on is in his head. Mof his best yr was when he needed to compete for the job during camp. Check the facts don't over react. Ok Mr Rhyme or Reason

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

First, Tyrod is not going into camp with the Bills - be it he's cut or he's traded and I think traded is the best option.

Second, no to Bridgewater - for all the reasons everyone else has said. 

Third, I think a guy like Matt Moore fits what the Bills want: value. They want a guy that can come in when needed without feeling that the game is already lost the second he goes to the huddle, but does not create a Cap situation for them.

Fourth, I don't think the Bills get Foles unless it's at their price; meaning, if Philly wants a 1st, no way, if they're willing to take back their own 2nd - then maybe. Because at that point, Tyrod's money goes to other FA needs, ala WR or Offensive line, etc. But that also means, they're less likely to trade up because the guy they get is a guy who needs a year or two to be NFL ready, so Mike White or maybe Rudolph (for strengthening) and they use their 1st round picks on DT / LB / WR, areas that need help this year. 

In all honestly, none of us know for certain what will happen, but I just don't think the Bills want Tyrod anywhere near the team come camp time and his value is never higher than it is in FA and Draft when teams are trying to set their starting roster before the real off season work begins in the building. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Tyrod is the "bridge" QB unless someone will trade for him.

No, they aren't going to sign Bridgewater with Tyrod still on the roster, and Bridgewater isn't coming here with Tyrod on the roster.  If Minny misses on Cousins, I think Bridgewater stays with them.  I think they are likely shopping Tyrod hard right now, if they can move him now for a draft pick they'll sign another bridge QB.  If they can't trade him now, he'll be looked at as the bridge unless the rookie clearly runs away with the job and there's an injury trade opportunity in camp.

he will be gone no later than june 1st. i believe he  will either be 1. part of a trade package....2. a trade for a pick...or 3. flat out cut...in that order. they know peterman would take the job from him in camp if it were a comp. between the 2. they aren't gonna pay tyrod one penny past the bonus.

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

he will be gone no later than june 1st. i believe he  will either be 1. part of a trade package....2. a trade for a pick...or 3. flat out cut...in that order. they know peterman would take the job from him in camp if it were a comp. between the 2. they aren't gonna pay tyrod one penny past the bonus.

This would be a horrible move to just cut him after the bonus . We wouldn't save nearly nothing against the cap.  If we cut him its definitely before the bonus otherwise its just plain dumb management. 

46 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Your definitely over thinking here.  Timing with wrs naw man his clock is broken he sucks . He's a pussycat the only clock he needs to work on is in his head. Mof his best yr was when he needed to compete for the job during camp. Check the facts don't over react. Ok Mr Rhyme or Reason

*plonk*

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

This would be a horrible move to just cut him after the bonus . We wouldn't save nearly nothing against the cap.  If we cut him its definitely before the bonus otherwise its just plain dumb management. 

wouldn't it count toward the dead money hit?