Bills signings & TT trade point to trade up

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If the Bills trade up, I want Mayfield or Rosen, but I will give any QB they draft my support since they obviously would think he is going to be great.  

I believe the signings so far are just good deals to get veterans filling holes in the roster without spending a huge sum of money.

They did this last year and this is just a continuation of that philosophy.  They might target a few higher priced veterans for specific needs just like they did with the safeties they now have.

That they did it to be able to move up in the draft is just speculation.

I believe the real question is;  Do the Bills see a franchise QB in this draft?  Is it just one guy or are there 6 possible franchise guys?

I believe the Bills are just positioning themselves to be as flexible as possible come draft day.  No one knows what Browns or Giants will do including the Browns or Giants.

Wonder if either of them takes the QB Bills want, do they move up to take # 2 or # 3 on the list?   

I would not be surprised if the Bills take a VET FA QB and take another developmental QB without moving up.  It's all speculation.

6 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

I would not be surprised if the Bills take a VET FA QB and take another developmental QB without moving up.  It's all speculation.

I would be more than surprised.  I'd be absolutely stunned and pretty annoyed too.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are trading up. 

Again, I stand to look really silly if they don't butat this point I would be astounded if the Bills have not already selected before #21 goes on the clock. 

They are absolutely trading up, and thank freaking god. 

I think they are planning to trade up if it works out for them but I dont think these signings are necessarily just for that.  I think it definitely shows the desire to get some comp picks.   But more than anything this team has very few players under contract and tons of FA' so they need bodies.   

Signing guys to short contracts is beneficial in a bunch of ways....it allows you to be more likely to get comp picks since you will have a lot of FA's.   Guys on one year contracts play better because they are going for a big contract, they are hungry and motivated.  You dont kill your cap with big signing bonuses you owe to players who stop playing as hard after they get a pile of money....

This is the exact scenario I floated in the Box o' Shout yesterday:

Interesting scenario -- NYG Trade back 2 spots (CLE comes back up for Barkely/QB) then BUF trades up to 4th pick for QB. CLE gets Barkley/QB, BUF gets their QB and NYG get massive amount of picks in 2018 & 2019. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Interesting scenario -- NYG Trade back 2 spots (CLE comes back up for Barkely/QB) then BUF trades up to 4th pick for QB. CLE gets Barkley/QB, BUF gets their QB and NYG get massive amount of picks in 2018 & 2019. Thoughts?

To make one last run with Eli... which is clearly their plan.

Feels like that would take a lot of choreography though!

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Definitely like this scenario.  

I will also jump on the the "Bill will trade up" bandwagon.  I'm pretty confident they will now.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To make one last run with Eli... which is clearly their plan.

Feels like that would take a lot of choreography though!

The shoe that will have to drop is Cleveland making their move to 2 before the draft, which I could easily see them doing after the first wave of FA passes.  The only reason to hold off on a draft-day move up the board is that you don't know if your guy will be there; that (obviously) isn't the case for Cleveland.

If they pull the trigger and move up for pick No. 2, then it'll facilitate Buffalo's move up the board to 4.

Oh, and just so folks don't think I'm taking credit for something that I didn't say...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The shoe that will have to drop is Cleveland making their move to 2 before the draft, which I could easily see them doing after the first wave of FA passes.  The only reason to hold off on a draft-day move up the board is that you don't know if your guy will be there; that (obviously) isn't the case for Cleveland.

If they pull the trigger and move up for pick No. 2, then it'll facilitate Buffalo's move up the board to 4.

My only worry in that situation would be if the Browns have already moved to #2 that Colts spot at #3 becomes an easy target for a team wanting to jump up. If the Bills were only interested in doing business with the Giants at #4 there would be a risk the Cardinals (who are our biggest trade up rival for me) jump us and get to #3.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it makes a ton of sense

You get pretty close on the draft value chart with:

Giants out- #2 (2,600 point)

Giants in- #21 / #22 / #35 / #65 / #96 (2,511)

Browns out- #4 / #35 /#65 (2,615)

Browns in- #2 (#2,600)

Bills out- #21 / #22 / #96 (1,696)

Bills in- #4 (1,800)

This is probably a little too generous to us and the Browns (slightly) overpay, but it's a Bills board and screw the Browns.  Likely assuming the Giants get Glenn out of the deal too, they could have 6 picks between 21-66, that's a lot of shots at adding talent.  We guarantee one of Rosen / Darnold / Baker, the Browns guarantee their #1 QB choice.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My only worry in that situation would be if the Browns have already moved to #2 that Colts spot at #3 becomes an easy target for a team wanting to jump up. If the Bills were only interested in doing business with the Giants at #4 there would be a risk the Cardinals (who are our biggest trade up rival for me) jump us and get to #3.

Well, in my scenario, Cleveland's move up to 2 doesn't happen until after the first wave of FA, at which point we should have a pretty good picture of which teams among Cleveland, Denver, NYJ, Minnesota, and Arizona are still in desperation mode at QB.

Once Cleveland makes their move, I'm sure Buffalo would be on the phone with Indy figuring out their asking price.  I don't see it as any more detrimental to Buffalo's chances of scoring the guy that they want than the current order

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Its looking more and more like the most realistic chance to move up is to 4 with Cleveland. Then it would just take our 21,22 and a 2nd. We can only pray Baker Mayfield lasts that long.

Good post.

Im getting this hunch too.

I think at 4, we would have our choice between Rosen and Mayfield.  I would be excited about either one of them.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Well, in my scenario, Cleveland's move up to 2 doesn't happen until after the first wave of FA, at which point we should have a pretty good picture of which teams among Cleveland, Denver, NYJ, Minnesota, and Arizona are still in desperation mode at QB.

Once Cleveland makes their move, I'm sure Buffalo would be on the phone with Indy figuring out their asking price.  I don't see it as any more detrimental to Buffalo's chances of scoring the guy that they want than the current order

No I think the Cleveland trade up helps us.... just not sure why it would make 4 a safer bet than it is now. I still think you have to get to 3.  I suppose what it does do is take any risk associated with 2 out of the equation.... either that the Giants go QB or trade out with someone who will.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No I think the Cleveland trade up helps us.... just not sure why it would make 4 a safer bet than it is now. I still think you have to get to 3.  I suppose what it does do is take any risk associated with 2 out of the equation.... either that the Giants go QB or trade out with someone who will.  

Yeah, 3 is clearly the catbird's seat for Buffalo.  I do think, however, that as long as Beane is working the phones leading up to the draft, he'll have the option to beat anyone else's offer.  Only Cleveland can compete with Buffalo in terms of ammunition.

• Like (+1) 1