Inordinate Amount of Focus on Quarterback

Irv

On 3/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Irv said:

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

Sam Cowart, Pat Williams, Marcel Dareus, Takeo spikes, London Fletcher were all first or second team all pros where has that gotten Buffalo?  Buffalo has never drafted a Qb inside of the top 10.  I believe that is a strong correlation why Buffalo has had 1 franchise Qb in its history.  There are 5 guys who are 90 plus rated Qb prospects.  By most accounts this is the strongest Qb class in terms of Talent and production in some time.  Buffalo has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  At 12 they are in striking distance of getting their top rated Qb.  Why would anyone be against doing so?  The strength of this draft is in rds 2 and 3 an 4.  By trading half or 2/3 of the picks they can get a franchise Qb for the first time since Kelly.  Even if they dont turn out to be as good they are at that same level of potential.  Plus add a starter in rd 2 and rd 3, while retain the remaining mid to late rd picks?  It makes complete sense.  

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why hasn't any team found another Bruce Smith? Like great QBs, they are rare players and hard to find. That simple. 

Yah... They're even more rare when you aren't f___ing looking, or doing due diligence on players...

On 3/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Irv said:

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

Because when you make the playoffs 1 time in 18 years who cares about any other picks. Draft a whole team of Bruce smiths or Jerry Rice’s. It would not matter. Brady changes wideouts and RB 

like undeware. The one constant is Brady. That’s why they win. Put Brady on the Bills last year and were in the Super bowl. Why don’t you get this. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, MJS said:

QB is and always will be the most important position. Once we get one, we'll be able to focus on all sorts of fun things.

If he's that important, shouldn't he have an O-line protecting him?

It's like saying, you want a big dog, but you live in a tiny apartment... You work full time so the poor thing won't get the attention, training and exercise it needs... Worse still, you have no plans to move in the immediate future... Moral of the story?... Change your circumstances, THEN go get your animal.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

If he's that important, shouldn't he have an O-line protecting him?

It's like saying, you want a big dog, but you live in a tiny apartment... You work full time so the poor thing won't get the attention, training and exercise it needs... Worse still, you have no plans to move in the immediate future... Moral of the story?... Change your circumstances, THEN go get your animal.....

Nope. Get your QB if you have a chance. Period. End of story. This is the draft for QB's. Next year is garbage.

Sometimes I feel sorry for guys who post things like this and then get dumped on by everyone saying "that's ridiculous."

Well, THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, consistently puts you in the playoffs from any position except an outstanding quarterback.   Nobody.   As in N-O-B-O-D-Y.   Not Bruce Smith, not J.J. Watt, not Megatron, not Sammy Watkins (certainly not Sammy Watkins), not Troy Polamalu, not anybody.   

Now, if you're point is that there's nothing more to say about the QBs, I agree.   But this year, for the first time in decades, the Bills are in position to get almost anyone they want in the draft AND there are good quarterbacks to be had.   It's foolish to expect that people will stop talking about it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is the draft for QB's. Next year is garbage.

Where did you get this crap? -Daniel Jeremiah?... I actually like next year's Class more than this one!

This is exactly the type of hype the Bills buy into that gets them into trouble...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Where did you get this crap? -Daniel Jeremiah?... I actually like next year's Class more than this one!

This is exactly the type of hype the Bills buy into that gets them into trouble...

This is pretty universally viewed as one of the strongest, most top-heavy QB drafts maybe since the 1983 draft.

4 QBs are almost certainly going in the top 10.

5 QBs are almost certainly going in the 1st round.

Yet, no one can agree on who the absolute best, can't-miss guy is, which is what makes this so interesting and why the conversation is so persistent.  All these guys have their flaws.

And to top it off, while the Bills aren't currently in position to get one of the 3 or 4 best QBs in this draft, Beane and McDermott almost perfectly played their hands since last year's draft by accumulating more draft capital in the first 3 rounds than any other NFL team.

The Buffalo Bills will almost certainly be trading up in order to draft our first Franchise QB in 22 years.

There's a reason this is justifiably a serious and heavily discussed topic.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:21 PM, Irv said:

When your favorite team has been the punching bag of Tom Brady for 2 full decades, I think the attention given to the position is appropriate.  When Tom Brady makes Hogan look like a pro Bowler, that's all you need to know.

Now how about we talk about Nathan Peterman for a minute instead, if you like.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:39 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Who's the quarterback of the Patriots?  How many MVPs has he won and how many times has he lead his team to the Super Bowl, let alone them winning it?  Imagine how that team would be with Taylor or Manuel as their quarterback.  How did the Packers do last season before Rodgers went out compared to what they did with him healthy?  Perhaps this explains emphasis on quarterbacks.

Very true but kinda the wrong examples for the moving up crowd.... but you are spot on the need for a QB. The Patriots drafted Brady in the 6th round....#199 to be exact off the board. Rodgers went off 1st round #24......On this board they woulda been considered ‘no good’ for not being Top 5.  My point and some others....Whats wrong with sticking at #12?  Im sure like all drafts names will be called and everyone will be scratching their heads.

Edited by RFL
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/8/2018 at 3:31 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

Closest we had was Mario Williams when he was actually trying. That said, QB trumps everything. Name one "stud" on the Packers defense, for example. Clay Matthews, maybe, but he's not up there with the Von Millers or JJ Watts of the league.

Not just name a stud, do you think the Packers would trade Aaron Rodgers for the entire Minnesota defense? Absolutely not. 

It’s the the most important position in sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RFL said:

Very true but kinda the wrong examples for the moving up crowd.... but you are spot on the need for a QB. The Patriots drafted Brady in the 6th round....#199 to be exact off the board. Rodgers went off 1st round #24......On this board they woulda been considered ‘no good’ for not being Top 5.  My point and some others....Whats wrong with sticking at #12?  Im sure like all drafts names will be called and everyone will be scratching their heads.

I understand where you are coming from.  I personally have tried to stay out of this QB draft talk as much as possible.

My main comments have typically been to the far extremes of the options.

I see Beane "finalizing" his QB rankings and worth (what he is willing to trade for each QB) in the next few days.

Come draft day I am sure he will contact all GM's concerning trade options.  He and his team will do what they can to get

who they can.  I will sure enjoy the draft this year.  Bill's definitely need a QB and it will be exciting.

As to your comment about staying at #12.  Beane has to be wary of Miami and others jumping so if he "over drafts" a bit I see no problem.

From the beginning I had no problem of using (at a minimum) the 2-1st's and the 3rd from the TT trade.  If Beane has to use MORE than that

I sure hope the guy he gets is worth it.

By the way, welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 2