Bucky Brooks NFL combine winners (Allen) & losers (Rosen).

PIZ

I hope Rosen keeps getting negative press.  I want him in a Bills uniform, and pray we get a chance to get him.  I hope Terry had a good dinner with him last night.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of see now why the whole draft process is so mysterious to fans.

I think people see what they expect to see.

For example, this was heralded as "effortless" throw by Allen.

image.png.8340dd96e9d9b89bdbfe00e708c72871.png 

I see a good adjustment by the WR, who had to come back and go low for the ball - but this was NOT an accurate throw by Allen.  Two throws previously, "that was a good throw" on a deep midfield route where the WR had to adjust to his R while running, and the ball was just a little too long for him (he reached for it but couldn't make the catch).  Another ball to the left where the WR had to leave his feet and go up for it.  This deep throw where the WR had to stop and come back even the announcers admitted "now that was underthrown" followed by two excellent deep balls.

image.png.721be7be5d462d1c2f3c736715e3de3e.png

Not at all saying that Allen can't throw (!!!) or didn't have a good day, but to puff him up as "shown he was accurate" and "winner of the combine" and all that when he's clearly not got the most consistent, accurate ball placement .... man that's Some Sh*t.

Yea I saw those throws too. Crazy.

I also saw Rosen with some amazing ball placement on his deep ball. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe the Bills are the ones leaking all the negative stuff :ph34r:

Like Cordy Glenn is only a Guard?  I thought that as well.  I would think most GMs would see through that, which makes me think if they want Rosen, they need to get to 1 or 2.  They likely targeted Trubisky last year and missed out, so I'm hoping they don't do the same (miss out) again.

I'm trying not to let the combine mess with my head. Allen looks GREAT in shorts. Those deep rainbows were jaw-dropping... But his completion percentage in college was dismal, amd that does not usually get better in the pros. I fear he is fools gold.

Then Baker. Looked great too, very savvy. Unlike Allen he had a great college completion peecentage, but is too small with tiny hands. I saw his time with Mooch at the board too, very impressive, but go back and watch Tebow with Gruden at the whiteboard... Very impressive too. I'm atraid of Mayfield as well.

Then you hear about how great Rosen is. The most "polished" and "natural thrower" in the draft amd he throws some wonky bricks.... But has prototype size/arm. 

I wanted Rosen before I saw the combine, and now I have no idea who I want, so I'll just trust the football guys amd hope we get the right one (or one of the right ones).

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard mayock refer to Allen as a moldable piece of clay. I almost choked.

He said the same thing about EJ

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ej-manuel?id=2539228

12 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm trying not to let the combine mess with my head. Allen looks GREAT in shorts. Those deep rainbows were jaw-dropping... But his completion percentage in college was dismal, amd that does not usually get better in the pros. I fear he is fools gold.

Then Baker. Looked great too, very savvy. Unlike Allen he had a great college completion peecentage, but is too small with tiny hands. I saw his time with Mooch at the board too, very impressive, but go back and watch Tebow with Gruden at the whiteboard... Very impressive too. I'm atraid of Mayfield as well.

Then you hear about how great Rosen is. The most "polished" and "natural thrower" in the draft amd he throws some wonky bricks.... But has prototype size/arm. 

I wanted Rosen before I saw the combine, and now I have no idea who I want, so I'll just trust the football guys amd hope we get the right one (or one of the right ones).

If you wanted Rosen before the combine nothing should have changed. 

His Mechanics were flawless. His drops looked good yes the ball placement was off at times (however think that might also be based of NEVER working with this WRs). 

Sometimes I think people watch the wrong thing at the combine. Watch the QB Mechanics, timing etc. placement can vary what if a WR in a 15 yard out rounds his route and The QB throws on time and where the WR should be. However now it looks like a bad pass doesnt it???

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

If you wanted Rosen before the combine nothing should have changed. 

His Mechanics were flawless. His drops looked good yes the ball placement was off at times (however think that might also be based of NEVER working with this WRs). 

That's why I said I'm trying not to let the combine mess with me...

But yeah of the available QBs, if I had the choice I would take Rosen. It's hard not to get sucked in by those pretty Allen throws though.

Just now, Shotgunner said:

That's why I said I'm trying not to let the combine mess with me...

But yeah of the available QBs, if I had the choice I would take Rosen. It's hard not to get sucked in by those pretty Allen throws though.

Allen has it all. His ceiling is the highest. Just not sure if he is ever going to get there. Scariest QB out of the Bunch for me 

9 minutes ago, Steve O said:

He said the same thing about EJ

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ej-manuel?id=2539228

I think that was his point. 

I tend not to listen much when Mayock talks QBs.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of see now why the whole draft process is so mysterious to fans.

I think people see what they expect to see.

For example, this was heralded as "effortless" throw by Allen.

image.png.8340dd96e9d9b89bdbfe00e708c72871.png 

I see a good adjustment by the WR, who had to come back and go low for the ball - but this was NOT an accurate throw by Allen.  Two throws previously, "that was a good throw" on a deep midfield route where the WR had to adjust to his R while running, and the ball was just a little too long for him (he reached for it but couldn't make the catch).  Another ball to the left where the WR had to leave his feet and go up for it.  This deep throw where the WR had to stop and come back even the announcers admitted "now that was underthrown" followed by two excellent deep balls.

image.png.721be7be5d462d1c2f3c736715e3de3e.png

Not at all saying that Allen can't throw (!!!) or didn't have a good day, but to puff him up as "shown he was accurate" and "winner of the combine" and all that when he's clearly not got the most consistent, accurate ball placement .... man that's Some Sh*t.

This is why Darnold didnt throw and why he was right not to.  Allen has all the hype and can throw it a mile.   No one is going to throw better next to him.

Edited by Mat68

54 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I hope Rosen keeps getting negative press.  I want him in a Bills uniform, and pray we get a chance to get him.  I hope Terry had a good dinner with him last night.

Latest I'm seeing just from Mayock and co. at NFLN is his lack of ability to escape pressure in the pocket - which then leads to injury issues.

Mayock's comp. for Rosen was Sam Bradford :unsure:

14 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I tend not to listen much when Mayock talks QBs.

I hear you - but the bottom line with ALL of these QBs is that there is a lot of talent between them, and very little certainty about ANY of them.

I sure as hell would NOT trade up to take one over another.

Btw - to the OP - I didn't see anything wrong with Rosen.  Based on what is shown at the combine he looks great - his issues wouldn't show up here (nor would a lot of Allen's)

Just now, Mat68 said:

This is why Darnold didnt throw and why he was right not to.  Allen has all the hype and can throw it a mile.   No is going to throw better next to him.

I don't think he was right not to.

Tells me he is scared of the competition, and doesn't want to risk the combine because he might slide down a few picks. If he really had confidence in himself he would not care if he goes 1st or 10th, because he should think he's good enough to be elite for a decade+ and get loads of cash and take his team to the promised land. 

Positioning himself now for a few extra bucks seems like the safe, albiet cowardly way to go. My $.02 anyways...

I feel the same way about Jackson not running, broad jumping, or vert jumping when thats a bigtime part of his game. I want to see competitors who are not afraid to lay it out there anytime they are given a chance. Pro days are insulated, best case scenarios, and of course you will look better with scripted throws to recievers you have been throwing to, in a building you are familiar with, with coaches you know.

I'm no "football guy" by any means. I have never held any position of coaching or FO of any football team, but if up to me, I would take Darnold amd Jackson off my board entirely.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

Tells me he is scared of the competition, and doesn't want to risk the combine because he might slide down a few picks. If he really had confidence in himself he would not care if he goes 1st or 10th, because he should think he's good enough to be elite for a decade+ and get loads of cash and take his team to the promised land. 

Positioning himself now for a few extra bucks seems like the safe, albiet cowardly way to go. My $.02 anyways...

I feel the same way about Jackson not running, broad jumping, or vert jumping when thats a bigtime part of his game. I want to see competitors who are not afraid to lay it out there anytime they are given a chance. Pro days are insulated, best case scenarios, and of course you will look better with scripted throws to recievers you have been throwing to, in a building you are familiar with, with coaches you know.

I'm no "football guy" by any means. I have never held any position of coaching or FO of any football team, but if up to me, I would take Darnold amd Jackson off my board entirely.

Lol listen to the "scout guys" Lois Riddeck, Bucky Brooks.  All crushed Darnold because, its about competing.  They always end it with we understand timing will be off so we undertand it.  Rosen and Jackson struggle with timing and get knocked for the same thing they said the wouldnt do.  

Alllen had to prove he can be accurate.  Rosen had to prove he wasnt an erogant douche.  I think both did what they needed.  Darnold didnt have to prove anything sohe didnt.  

39 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Would you take Baker Mayfield off because of the police video arrest? Or Rosen because of his "!@#$ Trump" hat display? What about Rosen's medical history of concussions and his throwing shoulder?

The combine is a glorified get to know you (and your medical records) interview. From what I've heard, teams don't put much stock in the drills other than the 40s for the WRs and DBs. I respect any player who's got a logical reason not to do certain drills. Darnold knows he's the top passer and the only way he could go is down at the combine, and Jackson basically told the NFL that he's not going to change positions by not doing the 40 and agility drills. I actually dig Jackson's refusal 100%. Everyone knows he would have destroyed the combine QB records, and he chose not to, to make a statement to the GMs. That's ballsy.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

I agree

Allen looks mediocre on tape in a game and great on a field in shorts.

Rosen looks great on tape in a game and mediocre on a field in shorts. 

I know which one I want.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Good thing you aren't a football guy then.

• Like (+1) 1