RIP David Ogden Stiers, aka Major Charles Emerson Winchester III

Just Jack

He was a guest star in a Star Trek TNG episode where he played a scientist trying to save his planet from it's own sun going super nova, but who had to give up his work because it was the custom of his planet to end your life at age 60. It was a moving episode, and he played it superbly. RIP.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Wasn't he also the person in charge of the dog sledding competition in "Iron Will"?

I never saw that, but looking it up, you are right!

He actually had a lot of roles!

He was in a horrible Justice League of America pilot movie as the Martian Manhunter.  They could not get licenses to use any of top 3 characters and they used some characters of the "humorous" league with terrible costuming, script, etc.  It is reason why some movie personel should not have ability to make hero movies. 

_jla.jpg

I have many favorite one liners from MASH but this is right up there. An episode after Radar goes back to Iowa and they are all in Potter’s office calling him. 

Father Mulcahy:  What time is it in Iowa?

Charles (drolly): 1842 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2018 at 7:51 PM, RochesterRob said:

I do one thing, I do it well, and then I move on (if I remember the line correctly).  Stiers did many things well as it turns out.

I do one thing at a time, I to it very well, and then I move on. Go to 2:05

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm sorry, but MASH went quickly downhill after Frank Burns left.  BJ became a jerk, Margaret's hair was perfectly coiffed and making Klinger a featured part of every show grew tiresome.  I'll sit and watch any episode, seasons 1-3, but when scanning the channels and see a "newer" MASH, I keep surfing.

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I'm sorry, but MASH went quickly downhill after Frank Burns left.  BJ became a jerk, Margaret's hair was perfectly coiffed and making Klinger a featured part of every show grew tiresome.  I'll sit and watch any episode, seasons 1-3, but when scanning the channels and see a "newer" MASH, I keep surfing.

I know I thought it was running on fumes, and went from my favorite show to one I never watched by sometime in the late 70s.