Lamar Jackson on why he chose Louisville ...

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It didn’t turn out well. But it shows what McD thinks of TT. Actions speak louder than words. 

Correct. 

His actions stated “I’m sorry man...I’ll never do that again”. 

But Tyrod deserved to be benched. 

Many of the best QBs of all time have been benched. 

30 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Help me?  -Seems like he can barely help himself through this transition...

If he was thinking right, he'd get an agent, plus someone to advise him on handling the media...

As of right now, I'm not a fan of Jackson's process. -And not anxious to see how this type of decision-making translates to the field.

Damn right, I am.

Once again I will ask....how do financial transactions and handling of media have anything to do with on the field performance

I mean personally I think this is bogus....maybe his mom is good with money and Lamar trusts her......and Lamar frankly doesn come across that bad to the media......just uncoached

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Once again I will ask....how do financial transactions and handling of media have anything to do with on the field performance

John, I don't GAF about his "financial transactions"  This is fundamentally about wanting to put yourself in the best position as a professional...

Having mommy as your manager, while representing yourself at the negotiation table is, at best, ill-advised...

Agents do more than negotiate contracts for players... If a GM flags a concern that resonates with other GM's, -an agent is the arm that reaches out to professionally

address any negative perception they have about you..  They can alter or even erase that perception...

Choosing to go it alone rather than spend the money it takes to ensure things go well seems like an unnecessary risk. -To me, that points to decision-making.

-And good decisions are a HUGE part of being an NFL QB.

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

John, I don't GAF about his "financial transactions"  This is fundamentally about wanting to put yourself in the best position as a professional...

Having mommy as your manager, while representing yourself at the negotiation table is, at best, ill-advised...

Agents do more than negotiate contracts for players... If a GM flags a concern that resonates with other GM's, -an agent is the arm that reaches out to professionally

address any negative perception they have about you..  They can alter or even erase that perception...

Choosing to go it alone rather than spend the money it takes to ensure things go well seems like an unnecessary risk. -To me, that points to decision-making.

hmmmmm

6 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Having an agent negotiate a rookie contract is a waste with each draft position slotted for a certain amount of money under the current CBA.  Jackson explained that he'd be interested in hiring an agent for his second contract and his approach makes sense to me. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Handling media is for a publicist.  The rookie contracts are pre written and available at his disposal from the union. He can have an attorney review the contract as well. Now on his next deal an agency might be the better way to go. It’s not like he’s doing the Ricky williams deal with the whole thing being performance based or whatever the rapper that advised him.  All Jackson has to do is throw well. The real money is in the second contract 

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I believe there are some current NFL players that represent themselves at the table. I believe Russell Okung did the same thing coming out of college. Lamar Jackson has been a "clean" football player on and off the court. Not much to be concerned about. Lamar has been loud and direct, he's a QB!! If you think there's a risk there, don't draft me. But if you do draft me, you'll get a dominant, electrifying, dynamic player at the QB position. Now the decision is theirs!!

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Having an agent negotiate a rookie contract is a waste with each draft position slotted for a certain amount of money under the current CBA.  Jackson explained that he'd be interested in hiring an agent for his second contract and his approach makes sense to me. 

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Handling media is for a publicist.  The rookie contracts are pre written and available at his disposal from the union. He can have an attorney review the contract as well. Now on his next deal an agency might be the better way to go. It’s not like he’s doing the Ricky williams deal with the whole thing being performance based or whatever the rapper that advised him.  All Jackson has to do is throw well. The real money is in the second contract 

Kid left school a year early, -has no agent, -hasn't played  down in the NFL, and you're already on his SECOND contract?

:lol: Well, -In your defense, his mom probably is too.

Edited by #34fan

Just now, #34fan said:

Kid left school a year early, -has no agent, -hasn't played  down in the NFL, and you're already on his SECOND contract?

Those were his words and they make sense based on what I already posted.   He mentioned that he will have a lawyer to review his rookie contract.  Your tirade is rather puzzling. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Those were his words and they make sense based on what I already posted.   He mentioned that he will have a lawyer to review his rookie contract.  Your tirade is rather puzzling. 

Even more puzzling to me, since I haven't been on a tirade...

-But whatever... Rant on, 26. :lol:

14 minutes ago, #34fan said:

No I’m saying the real money is the second contract. An agent can’t negotiate more money on this contract it’s simply set it stone.  It’s not like the days where the Texans didn’t take Reggie bush cause they weren’t sure if they could sign him. His talent gets him drafted and you get the contract for  that slot. And he will probably get a second contract whether as a legit starter or a backup. That’s where an agent might help.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: Okay. I'll dial it down to unwarranted criticism. :beer:

You don't need a warrant if you have probable cause... Jackson gave me that by being too cheap to hire a real agent, AND by hiring his mom to be... -His mom.:blink:

33 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I believe there are some current NFL players that represent themselves at the table. I believe Russell Okung did the same thing coming out of college. Lamar Jackson has been a "clean" football player on and off the court. Not much to be concerned about. Lamar has been loud and direct, he's a QB!! If you think there's a risk there, don't draft me. But if you do draft me, you'll get a dominant, electrifying, dynamic player at the QB position. Now the decision is theirs!!

Dominant :lol:

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

No I’m saying the real money is the second contract. An agent can’t negotiate more money on this contract it’s simply set it stone.  

Like I said, -a good agent does more for a rookie athlete than negotiate contracts. -See below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/lamar-jackson-chooses-to-represent-himself/

10 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Like I said, -a good agent does more for a rookie athlete than negotiate contracts. -See below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/lamar-jackson-chooses-to-represent-himself/

Hes betting on himself and I like that kinda moxie.  He’s a good kid comes from a good mom and dad(who passed) and i hope he gets some gm fired for skipping him. 

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Thanks #34, SI has 2 articles I found on this subject too.

Article is written by an agent and he seems to give both sides of the debate in the 2 articles.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/16/nfl-rookie-contracts-fine-print

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/12/nfl-draft-rookie-contracts-agents-jacoby-brissett-patriots

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If it did, can you assure us that you'd assure us it did?

If it did, I'd spend more time in PPP.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lamar Jackson in his interview said that no team had requested that.

Oh, well then I stand corrected, I guess.  Someone's lying.  Is it the professional journalists, or the kid having his mommy talk to coaches for him.  Guess we'll never know for sure.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lamar Jackson might even be WORSE than Tyrod Taylor.

The guy is a friggin' moron who can't pass.  Destined for failure as an NFL QB.

Nope. Wrong. Kid is a beast; the real deal. He's gonna be great. I don't know if Lamar Jackson will fall to us. Man, I hope he does.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Naive, perhaps.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

I think it's a rather tenuous equivalence between professional representation decisions and QB decisions.

But it's also clear that agents do play a large role - IMHO Josh Allen is going to land several more millions on his rookie contract than he would without his agent.