Lamar Jackson on why he chose Louisville ...

You guys should look at Russell Wilson's college stats. He played in the ACC his first 3 years, never had a completion percentage above 59.3%. Then his senior year he went to the Big 10 and exploded, ended that year with a 72.8% completion percentage. Lamar Jackson is foregoing his senior season but who knows what could have happened if he had transferred out of the ACC. IMO he's gotten better every season at passing AND running, and I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

What do you mean by " that style of play"? The mobile QB?

Both come from Carolina. Cam says hi. McDermott has pointed out how he's been around QBs that could run his entire career dating back to McNabb. I think they both embrace a QB that can move. 

Lamar Jackson is not Cam Newton, nor is he Deshaun Watson.

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Way to bring race into it.  Sweet.

I'll point out that Brady, Mannings, Rivers, Marino, Kelly, Bledsoe and Favre are/were, indeed, similar in that they relied heavily on passing the ball and passing it well.

Secondly, Tyrod and Lamar - in my opinion - are similar in that neither is an accurate passer and both tend to run .. a lot.

If you want to throw skin color in there ... oops ... you already did .... well, that's on you, bro.

Really? They "pass the ball well" is all you have to say why those guys are the same?

"Inaccurate and tend to run, a lot" is your only similarity between them??

Not the fact that Jackson won a Heisman, almost won another, has a stronger arm, has no problem throwing into traffic/isn't afraid to throw it, or the fact that he's a highly regarded prospect, and Tyrod was nowhere on anybody's radar?

That's like saying Riley Ferguson is the same as darnold because they "both throw from the pocket"

You assume tyrod = Lamar because they are black and mobile.

Stop trying to act like that's not a factor to you.

44 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Tyrod never ran for close to the yards Jackson did in college and tyrod never threw for close to the yards jackson has. Lamar is twice or more the prospect tyrod ever was. 

Yep.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Really? They "pass the ball well" is all you have to say why those guys are the same?

Not the fact that Jackson won a Heisman, almost won another, has a stronger arm, has no problem throwing into traffic/isn't afraid to throw it, or the fact that he's a highly regarded prospect, and Tyrod was nowhere on anybody's radar?

That's like saying Riley Ferguson is the same as darnold because they "both throw from the pocket"

Yep.

Won a Heisman?  Yeah, those guys usually kick ass in the NFL.

I assure you that skin color has nothing to do with my comparisons, but keep pushing that button.  It's a really good look.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

I look forward to watching his 40 time at his better weight now. I like to root for the humble , good guy.

He's not running the 40 or doing any of the athletic testing at all. He's only at the Combine for the interviews and the passing drills.

47 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Lamar Jackson is not Cam Newton, nor is he Deshaun Watson.

Did I say he was? Or did I say Beane has been around Cam and they both have mobility? 

And sorry, right now nothing is really known about Watson. He played well for a few games then got hurt. So did RGIII. So did Vince Young. Lets see how Watson looks after a season or 2 before we lament who he is or isn't like.

57 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yep.

I totally disagree.  Tyrod was talked about as being the next level down to the top QB's coming out that year.  The debacle on his pro day, IMO, effected him terribly.  

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The more time that passes.....the more it makes sense.

People just need to understand that Lamar Jackson is not Tyrod Taylor.....he is a more accomplished passer.

At the end of the day it just might be too difficult to get up to Rosen.

Agree. IMO Rosen should probably be the # 1 pick in this draft, not because he's necessarily the most outstanding player (Barkely) but because he's pretty much prototypical in terms of translating to the next level as a franchise QB and of course because of the position he plays.

Jackson is IMO the next most desirable prospect, though Mayfield, Darnold and Allen are first round worthy and I could live with any of them (depending on exactly how, where and when in the first).

As for Jackson-Tyrod comparisons, if Tyrod was or could develop into an effective pocket passer (which he can't) I don't believe anyone would be thinking of trading him. Tyrod is largely limited and unidimensional. Jackson is a multidimensional threat.

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

He's having his Mom advise him at the combine.  You don't think an agent could help advise him with all this wide receiver talk and how to handle it?  

How would an agent help him handle it?  Jackson doesn't want to/won't pay WR because it's absolute BS.  He doesn't need an agent to tell teams that they're morons.  

I'm sure the group-think cavemen who run NFL teams might be offended, but I'd tell teams if you think I'm a WR, please don't consider drafting me.  

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 1

With the move to more RPOs throughout the league, I'm kind of curious how Josh Allen has remained well ahead of Jackson in terms of prospects.  It wouldn't shock me to see Jackson actually picked ahead of Allen or Mayfield, IMO he feels a bit like the guy teams are enamored with but don't want to mention his name in hopes of him slipping a bit.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

With the move to more RPOs throughout the league, I'm kind of curious how Josh Allen has remained well ahead of Jackson in terms of prospects.  It wouldn't shock me to see Jackson actually picked ahead of Allen or Mayfield, IMO he feels a bit like the guy teams are enamored with but don't want to mention his name in hopes of him slipping a bit.

Teams have asked him to workout as a WR, that doesn't exactly scream enamored.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Yeah. Great if he's still on the board at 21 like so many are assuming but I think he could well go before that.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No.

Old out of touch former execs have suggested he moves to WR.  Not one team has asked him to make that move.

Schrager said yesterday that multiple teams were interested in seeing him workout as a WR. He is as tuned in as any anyone, why would he put that out there if it wasn't true?

• Like (+1) 1