This is not meant to be a doomed Bills moving

I'm not freaked out that the Bills will move, that said I would be lying if I did not have some concern over their future. Like most here I love the Bills, and the thought of them not existing is something that’s difficult take. While the short term future (5-10 years) is nothing I'm concerned with yet the long-term future is.

So here is the question I'm posing...

Since the majority of posters stand a decent chance at being around in 30 years do you think the Bills will share the same fate?

30 years is a long time thus a good measuring stick to see how people really feel. It's easy to mock a panic stricken post that guarantees the Bills will leave in the next two years. But it seems much more reasonable that they could leave over such a long time frame.

My guess would be that in 30 years they won't be around. I'm a glass half full person but 30 years is such a long time. Given the obstacles they would have to overcome during that time frame I just see them leaving as the more likely scenario. I don't like my answer so opposing views are encouraged.

No flaming please

It's a scenario that I have considered in the past. My gut tells me you're right the Bills won't be in Buffalo in 30 years. I hope that I'll be able to take my grandchildren to Bills games, but there are a lot of challenges along the road. The thing I think that will finally break the camel's back will be when Rich Stadium wears out and it's time to build a new one. Then I suspect that the county won't be able to get it together and the Bills will go packing. If I had to GUESS as to where they would go I'd say Toronto, Las Vegas, or LA would probably be in the running. (I know the NFL currently doesn't want a team in Las Vegas, but I have a feeling that will change down the road and they'll get an offer they can't refuse on that.)

It's a scenario that I have considered in the past.  My gut tells me you're right the Bills won't be in Buffalo in 30 years.  I hope that I'll be able to take my grandchildren to Bills games, but there are a lot of challenges along the road.  The thing I think that will finally break the camel's back will be when Rich Stadium wears out and it's time to build a new one.  Then I suspect that the county won't be able to get it together and the Bills will go packing.  If I had to GUESS as to where they would go I'd say Toronto, Las Vegas, or LA would probably be in the running.  (I know the NFL currently doesn't want a team in Las Vegas, but I have a feeling that will change down the road and they'll get an offer they can't refuse on that.)

270376[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more about the stadium being the biggest obstacle. I think we overcome Ralph's estate tax and a new owner. But I just can't see the county paying enough cash to help with a new stadium.

As for Vegas getting a team I think that will also happen. The city is expanding so rapidly and you know the cash will be there. When it comes down to it the NFL is a business and they would be missing out on a lot of money by not throwing a team in Vegas.

They've been in Buffalo for over 40 years, they'll be there for 50 years more.

If the day does come that the Bills leave Buffalo, minutes after the announcement is made, God will say, "Alright, BEGIN THE APPOCALYPSE!!"

No offense to those here who do not believe in God.

They've been in Buffalo for over 40 years, they'll be there for 50 years more.

If the day does come that the Bills leave Buffalo, minutes after the announcement is made, God will say, "Alright, BEGIN THE APPOCALYPSE!!"

No offense to those here who do not believe in God.

270435[/snapback]

Buffalo's population is shrinking every year. If it keeps shrinking, at some point, it will not be able to sustain an NFL franchise. Many cities including LA, San Diego and Las Vegas are growing every year. They will get a Franchise. It's a numbers thing.

Stadium issues around the NFL

Indy stadium funding Indiana house bill #1846 $10 per ticket user (fan) fee

I like this one--2% tax on team players income, etc.

http://www.in.gov/legislature/bills/2005/HB/HB1846.1.html

Giants?NJ stadium talks fall apart NJ wants 6% tax on suites, Giants say no way

Jets try to get Giants to join their stadium effort, Giants say no way.

Proposed Jets stadium just picked up key support from police detectives union???

49s/NFL what new stadium.

Saints have issues.

Chargers stadium?

LA stadium?

Buffalo's population is shrinking every year. If it keeps shrinking, at some point, it will not be able to sustain an NFL franchise. Many cities including LA, San Diego and Las Vegas are growing every year. They will get a Franchise. It's a numbers thing.

270461[/snapback]

True about buffalo's population, but Green Bay isn't exactly a booming metropolis either.

There's a few deep pocketed high rollers that would gladly purchase the team and keep them in Buffalo. If moving the team ever becomes an issue (after Ralph passes), let's hope the NFL steps in and demands that they (Ralph's successors) offer local ownership a chance to buy the team before moving is ever an option.

It doesn't take a genius to know the Bills are a goner. And don't give any crap about how we do better than Arizona, Minnesota etc. etc. Those teams do poorly because they don't win, at least those cities are in much better shape than Buffalo. I don't even give 30 years before the team moves on. If they continue to miss the playoffs, need a new stadium and Ralph Wilson passes on as well as the cities continued fall into the abyss they most certainly will be moving on. I've never been to another city that has a NFL that's half as pathetic as Buffalo is economically.

If all the games are selling out, then it doesn't matter what kind of "pathetic shape" the city of Buffalo is in financially. As long as the tickets sell, the Bills will be in Buffalo.

A new stadium could be a very good thing for Buffalo, if they do two things. 1) Make it have a retractable roof and 2) Put it on the lake and use some of that old Bethlehem Steel and NFTA brownfield property. A lot of people in OP would feel the pinch from the Bills stadium moving towards the city, which would suck, but it's the Buffalo Bills not the Buffalo Bills of Orchard Park. If the politicians up there could get their heads out of the sand and come up with a plan to fund a new stadium, it would work out really nice. Not only would the Bills get a new stadium, but it would give downtown the convention center that we've been hearing they need for as long as I could remember and could possibly put Buffalo on the list to host the Super Bowl. Not to mention put some of that waterfront to use. Personally if the city ever did host the Super Bowl and media slammed us like they did Jacksonville, that'd be fine by me just as long as they're spending the $$$$ while they're doing it.

I agree with that, but if the teams starts with 3-13 seasons again the stadium can get empty in a hurry in 10 degree weather.

If all the games are selling out, then it doesn't matter what kind of "pathetic shape" the city of Buffalo is in financially.  As long as the tickets sell, the Bills will be in Buffalo.

could possibly put Buffalo on the list to host the Super Bowl.

270663[/snapback]

Your not serious about that, are you? BTW. Jax sucked for the SB. They didn't even have enough hotels so they had to bring in cruise ships to accomodate the tourists. I can guarantee you there won't be any cruise ships in Buffalo.

It doesn't take a genius to know the Bills are a goner. And don't give any crap about how we do better than Arizona, Minnesota etc. etc. Those teams do poorly because they don't win, at least those cities are in much better shape than Buffalo. I don't even give 30 years before the team moves on. If they continue to miss the playoffs, need a new stadium and Ralph Wilson passes on as well as the cities continued fall into the abyss they most certainly will be moving on. I've never been to another city that has a NFL that's half as pathetic as Buffalo is economically.

270640[/snapback]

despite what I just posted. I love the city of Buffalo. I think it's the best kept secret. I visit every year. watching a game at "The ralph" is truly amazing. The people are great. The museums and architecture are superb and the restaurants are the best.

My suggestions when you visit Buffalo

Breakfast- Pano's on Elmwood Ave (chocolate chip pancakes)

Lunch- Jim's Steak Out Elmwood Ave (Try the steak hoagy)

Dinner-LaNova's- West side Buffalo (wings) Make sure you order the barbecue wings.

If hot wings is your thing go to The Anchor Bar on Main St. Outside Downtown Buffalo.