Toy train experts around? Have an American flyer

mead107

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Does it run?  Any rust?  When was the last time it was serviced?  Any boxes?

It did. Has not bee set up in 30 plus years. Yes boxes. Track and transformer. I would say good condition 

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

It did. Has not bee set up in 30 plus years. Yes boxes. Track and transformer. I would say good condition 

I would start with a company called TRAINZ.COM.  Send them an inventory list, maybe a few pics., and they will respond with an offer.  It will likely be a "low ball" type offer but it will either be a starting point that you can move on from, or you can accept, send them the trains, and about 30 days later, they send you a check for the agreed offer.  EBAY is another option.

17 hours ago, mead107 said:

I have a 1958 or 59 American flyer Missouri passage train. 

Any idea on worth?

one on EBay for over $7,000 

They made a lot of American Flyer trains, they are still easy to find, and unfortunately no where near $7000.  Sort on the sold items on ebay, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. 

5 hours ago, ricojes said:

They made a lot of American Flyer trains, they are still easy to find, and unfortunately no where near $7000.  Sort on the sold items on ebay, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. 

Saw one on line for 13,000 

7 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Saw one on line for 13,000 

What gauge is your train?

Not sure if this is like your train; it sold for $280 in "appears like it was never used" condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-FLYER-MISSOURI-PACIFIC-MODEL-TRAIN-SET-6-49601-STILL-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-/292388262793?hash=item4413b2d389%3Ag%3AnQkAAOSwuhFaRj-6&nma=true&si=pVcxSBBbOIaFDKW3tX2stFrJGZs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

It looks like 3 have recently sold on Ebay.

One went for $475 (looks incomplete but had 4 passenger cars and 2 locomotives)

One went for something less than $2,250 (seller accepted best offer)

One went for $4,700.

Keep doing searches at Ebay.  Click "advanced" and enter your search terms, then be sure to click the "sold "box.

What is relevant is seeing what people actually got for something comparable to what you have. 

Asking prices for anything on Ebay are meaningless.  There are people asking insane prices for all kinds of things, but they aren't selling at those prices.

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It looks like 3 have recently sold on Ebay.

One went for $475 (looks incomplete but had 4 passenger cars and 2 locomotives)

One went for something less than $2,250 (seller accepted best offer)

One went for $4,700.

Keep doing searches at Ebay.  Click "advanced" and enter your search terms, then be sure to click the "sold "box.

What is relevant is seeing what people actually got for something comparable to what you have. 

Asking prices for anything on Ebay are meaningless.  There are people asking insane prices for all kinds of things, but they aren't selling at those prices.

Going to go to local train collection store. 

I also have on of these

vintage battery operated toys for sale

1964 crusader 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Then pass it down to a Puerto Rican Bills fan in your area!

Looking for an Asian.  ?

Also a 1964 or 5 Pepsi toy truck

Edited by mead107