Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You may not agree that it's a good sign, fair enough of course.....but, to say that without question Gaines is a better player, is quite a stretch of logic IMO. Davis at one point was the top CBs in the league, and while he didn't return to that form with the Colts, I don't think I'd write off his career just yet. Buffalo, in recent years, has been a place where players who once were thought to be "done" or their career to have sunk to an ultimate low (Richie / Hughes / Lorax) have been revived. If the Bills sign Davis, I have faith in McD to get the most out of him and given his potential, I think that makes it pretty promising.

Good points...just saying replacing Gaines with Davis does not improve the team...it may not hurt it but replacing a good player with another good player does not improve anything. I have nothing against Davis.....now if we keep Gaines and sign Davis.......

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, nucci said:

Good points...just saying replacing Gaines with Davis does not improve the team...it may not hurt it but replacing a good player with another good player does not improve anything. I have nothing against Davis.....now if we keep Gaines and sign Davis.......

In many respects - in my mind at least, you're right in terms of indicating any measurable change from last year to the upcoming one....but, also consider right now, we have a deficit at CBs based on Gaines NOT being under contract, so in terms of the immediate, it does improve the team IF Davis were to sign, only from the standpoint of signing a Veteran CB with really good potential. 

In the end, I agree in that we don't know that it is an improvement but also, if the team were to somehow get both Gaines and Davis - barring injury from either player, THAT would certainly be a projected improvement until the season starts.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Lets sign both....then not have to use draft picks on corners

I'm on board for signing both, but you will never see be complain about spending a day 3 pick on an extra corner. If anything, it's cheap depth. I was so annoyed when Cockrell got cut, only to become a solid corner for the Steelers

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree, he has always been good in off man coverage and zone.  Going back to his college scouting report.

"Best in off-man and zone coverage where he can watch the action, plant and drive to the ball."

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Maybe in the past, but the Pegula's have lots of money and that's what talks, not the location of the football team.

Cleveland is bad because their ownership is awful, not because they are in Cleveland.

Doesn't matter if the owner is the richest or the poorest in the league. They all play under the same salary cap so unless he is illegally in the league getting paid under the table for extras, it doesn't matter. The Bills can offer as much as their cap space will allow. What isn't comparable around the league is location. Does the player want to spend a good chunk of his year living in Buffalo or florida/California/NYC/etc.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Maybe in the past, but the Pegula's have lots of money and that's what talks, not the location of the football team.

Cleveland is bad because their ownership is awful, not because they are in Cleveland.

All owners have lots of money

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Doesn't matter if the owner is the richest or the poorest in the league. They all play under the same salary cap so unless he is illegally in the league getting paid under the table for extras, it doesn't matter. The Bills can offer as much as their cap space will allow. What isn't comparable around the league is location. Does the player want to spend a good chunk of his year living in Buffalo or florida/California/NYC/etc.

It's funny how we never had a problem attracting free agents when we were a winning organisation year in and year out. 

On the whole it fully depends on the player as a person. Mario Williams was attracted here partially because of the hunting. If you can offer a free agent a competitive contract with the opportunity to win it sways a lot more guys then the weather.

Also, look at the reception for the Bills/Colts Snow Bowl. How many players were Tweeting saying they wish they could play in that? I can easily think of 2 dozen off the top of my head. 

15 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not true. Cash is king in the NFL. Some teams have more than others. Bills are willing to top any cash offered at anytime. Under Ralph that wasn't the case. 

Cap # can be manipulated, not guaranteed cash. 

24 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Might retain Johnson. 

Oh yeah

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they're very likely to re-sign Leonard Johnson.  The bigger concern is depth behind their top 3 IMO

Good call

24 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Have to look in the draft. IMHO, a DB should be drafted every year. Which round depends on the value and team need, but at least one should always be drafted. 

I agree with this, except you can't keep letting them walk just to draft another either

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Davis would be a good signing and would upgrade the 3rd or 4th CB position. He's quicker than fast and could cover similar slot receivers. Even at age 31 or thereabouts  he's better than Johnson and Wright. We need better depth at CB.

Do we?  corner was actually a strength of the team last year.

Every team has this issue....your not gonna be pro bowlers and all pro's at every position......

That is why the bills tinker like crazy with the bottom part of their roster

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

It's funny how we never had a problem attracting free agents when we were a winning organisation year in and year out. 

On the whole it fully depends on the player as a person. Mario Williams was attracted here partially because of the hunting. If you can offer a free agent a competitive contract with the opportunity to win it sways a lot more guys then the weather.

Also, look at the reception for the Bills/Colts Snow Bowl. How many players were Tweeting saying they wish they could play in that? I can easily think of 2 dozen off the top of my head. 

There are people who would find the area attractive, its not Siberia.

As for the snow game, I don't doubt there were players that would have loved to have played in that one game, doubt anyone of them would sign here just because of it. 

As for "cash is king" from another reply, again, it all still has to fit in the Cap. And if that's true, then why aren't the big FAs signing here instead of going somewhere else? Usually the first response to hearing a name guy coming  for a visit is that they are just using it to boost other offers

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There are people who would find the area attractive, its not Siberia.

As for the snow game, I don't doubt there were players that would have loved to have played in that one game, doubt anyone of them would sign here just because of it. 

As for "cash is king" from another reply, again, it all still has to fit in the Cap. And if that's true, then why aren't the big FAs signing here instead of going somewhere else? Usually the first response to hearing a name guy coming  for a visit is that they are just using it to boost other offers

Winning brings in FAs

Teams with a history of winning tend to attract more FAs, many times at less than other teams offer.

Losing scares them off

It's a very hard stigma to break when you've been poor to mediocre at best for the longest streak in NFL history.

Hopefully we are on the upward track to being a legit contender year in and year out again.

That will be the biggest FA draw.

• Like (+1) 1

For the right money he would make alot of sense.  I do not believe they will sign him for what they want to before FA starts however.  If after the initial rush comes and goes and he is left unsigned maybe they come together.  I dont see Buffalo giving out a lot of guaranteed money in FA.  Gaines played well for a good deal.  When he was on the field the defense was supremely better.  With his injury history I do not see Buffalo offering Gaines the money he is looking for and could very well obtain.