Do you cook? Best dish?

BuffaloBill

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I prefer to bake.

My best is homemade carrot cake. Everything is real...no box cake mixes. Flour, baking powder, oil, etc. The cream cheese icing is kickass. Super moist and very rich.

Other baked good would be our caramel sweet rolls (have to let the dough rise twice but the end result is amazing). We were able to get the "Lyons Tea Room" caramel roll recipe years and years ago and they are fantastic.

My pizza dough recipe is coming along. After about six attempts and a lot of online research I found a recipe for Bocce Club style pizza dough and it's very close. Also bought some Ezzo style pepperoni so it is the closest I have had to real WNY pizza.

Hmmmm .... all I got was burgers and dogs.

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not my best dish, but made these tonight and they were awesome. Who would have thought roasted radishes ???

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/roasted-radishes-butter-herbs-recipe.html

Again, Thomas Keller (the French Laundry guy) does some in MasterClass. I NEVER would have thought of that, and haven’t tried it yet, but it’s got my attention. 

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I prefer to bake.

My best is homemade carrot cake. Everything is real...no box cake mixes. Flour, baking powder, oil, etc. The cream cheese icing is kickass. Super moist and very rich.

Other baked good would be our caramel sweet rolls (have to let the dough rise twice but the end result is amazing). We were able to get the "Lyons Tea Room" caramel roll recipe years and years ago and they are fantastic.

My pizza dough recipe is coming along. After about six attempts and a lot of online research I found a recipe for Bocce Club style pizza dough and it's very close. Also bought some Ezzo style pepperoni so it is the closest I have had to real WNY pizza.

I envy any dude that is solid when it comes to weights and measures when getting it on in the kitchen. I just add..toss something in that sounds like it might fit in..usually that works..I kick butt when it comes to casserole type eats but try to teach me how to make homemade peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies and you would want to kick me out of your kitchen.p.s.-I also have a bad habit of opening up the oven door to often..taboo in the baking world.

• Like (+1) 1

My wife just got home and said tomorrow I may be cooking for some of her work people in from out of town. It’s a transitional period at work, and I don’t know these people. I think Atlanta has a few restaurants available for this kind of thing....  maybe? 

They are always polite, but you know some things are better than others. I’d rather cook for some neighbors I barely like. Or better yet, family. “You don’t like it? Too bad!” 

I’m panicking wondering if I even HAVE a best dish? 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife just got home and said tomorrow I may be cooking for some of her work people in from out of town. It’s a transitional period at work, and I don’t know these people. I think Atlanta has a few restaurants available for this kind of thing....  maybe? 

They are always polite, but you know some things are better than others. I’d rather cook for some neighbors I barely like. Or better yet, family. “You don’t like it? Too bad!” 

I’m panicking wondering if I even HAVE a best dish? 

If you don't have any Vegans in your guest crowd..why not a nice garden salad before serving baked lasagna? Comfort food is the way to go if this is your first meeting with "strangers".

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If you don't have any Vegans in your guest crowd..why not a nice garden salad before serving baked lasagna? Comfort food is the way to go if this is your first meeting with "strangers".

The crazy part is, I’m afraid to just cook food for people! My wife says she has to avoid dairy and gluten (part medical, part preference?), my son is dating a sweet young vegetarian lady (apparently it’s health related vs pure option), my best friend from Florida is coming to visit, but he might die if you feed him anything with an egg in it, and it’s almost time for my friend to come visit (for CPA CE hours) from SC, and he carries an epi-pen because of an allergy to red meat. (BTW - pork? The other white meat will kill him too.) 

Was it always this way? Did people just die back in the day? Or have these allergy problems just exploded exponentially? 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

The crazy part is, I’m afraid to just cook food for people! My wife says she has to avoid dairy and gluten (part medical, part preference?), my son is dating a sweet young vegetarian lady (apparently it’s health related vs pure option), my best friend from Florida is coming to visit, but he might die if you feed him anything with an egg in it, and it’s almost time for my friend to come visit (for CPA CE hours) from SC, and he carries an epi-pen because of an allergy to red meat. (BTW - pork? The other white meat will kill him too.) 

Was it always this way? Did people just die back in the day? Or have these allergy problems just exploded exponentially? 

Yikes..well you sure don't want anybody to get ill or put their nose up to what you worked hard to prepare. Maybe just serve drinks and a variety of apps before you pull out a take out/delivery menu? It sounds like no matter what you do..you won't be able to please everybody..however..you are the one entertaining and flipping the bill..so they should take that into consideration..if they don't,don't be offended since your home in not a restaurant. good luck.it will work out.

13 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Yikes..well you sure don't want anybody to get ill or put their nose up to what you worked hard to prepare. Maybe just serve drinks and a variety of apps before you pull out a take out/delivery menu? It sounds like no matter what you do..you won't be able to please everybody..however..you are the one entertaining and flipping the bill..so they should take that into consideration..if they don't,don't be offended since your home in not a restaurant. good luck.it will work out.

Thanks. We always pull it off fine, but for some reason I prefer cooking for people I’ve met. Strange. Maybe I think they’ll be more forgiving?  Truth be told, it almost always comes off very well. This just came as a surprise, and I don’t even know what city these people are in from. Now....what to cook and for how many.... ? 

Life is an adventure. 

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wings, veggie platter and hummus.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

...what to cook and for how many.... ? 

Life is an adventure. 

Roasted radishes? 

I agree this screams "restaurant"

I mean what if these people stumble onto all your "toys" ?

Edited by plenzmd1