Do you cook? Best dish?

BuffaloBill

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you ever find yourself in Atlanta looking for some good Puerto Rican food, you have to try this place! Amazing flavors and just a couple miles from our house. The hardest part is getting in as it’s been a HUGE hit since it opened about a year ago. Awesome! 

I think I know what’s for lunch tomorrow.....

http://www.porchlightlatinkitchen.com/

I make my Bubby’s chicken noodle soup. 

Its Eastern European perfect. 

Jewish Penicillin. 

I just happened to write out the recipe for a friend so consider yourself lucky:

To make a LARGE stock pot of chicken noodle soup (15-20 quarts), you should use as many CHICKEN BACKS and small pieces of chicken as possible. 

I don’t like to waste good pieces of chicken by boiling it (not a big fan of boiled chicken, but some people are). 

What I like to do is get 3 WHOLE chickens from Costco…and cut the chickens into pieces, and save the breasts/thighs/legs/wings for a meal….and use the backs just for the soup.

Ingredients

3 whole chicken backs and necks

3 large carrots

1 celery stalk

1 large (or 2 small) yellow onions

1 parsnip

1 bunch of parsley OR 1 bunch of dill

Salt

Egg Noodles, Bechtle Brand ****very important!!!

Directions

Place chicken backs into the stock pot

Fill pot with water 2-3 inches from top

Add ¼ cup of Kosher salt

Place stock pot on HIGH heat, cover OFF.

After about 30 minutes total

The pot will begin to simmer.

You will start to see some white/brown bubbles and froth near the top of the stock pot.

This is SCUM and needs to be removed. Simply scoop it out with the ladle (or run a mesh colander inside the stock pot to remove) and pitch it into the sink, until it’s pretty much all gone.

After about 45 minutes total

Add carrots (cut into large bite size pieces)

Add Parsnip (cut into large bite size pieces)

Add onion (cut the onion in half but KEEP THE SKIN ON – this is key to get the yellow colour for the broth)

Add celery ( Add the parts of the celery that you don’t normally eat – the middle stalk, and all the green leafy parts, the butt. Keep the good pieces of celery for something else)

Add entire bunch of parsley or dill

LOWER heat to about medium low

Let simmer for another 2 hours

Add additional water during the cooking process if broth quantity falls or if broth becomes too salty.

After about 2 hours 45 minutes total

Taste soup. Add salt or additional water, depending on taste.

Turn off heat and allow soup to cool for an hour or 2 (but not much more).

Strain entire stock pot of soup into a very large Tupperware container.

Place in fridge.

The next day, remove the layer of fat that has congealed at the top of the large Tupperware container…

Transfer to smaller Tupperware and freeze (or you can use Ziploc bags)…

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you ever find yourself in Atlanta looking for some good Puerto Rican food, you have to try this place! Amazing flavors and just a couple miles from our house. The hardest part is getting in as it’s been a HUGE hit since it opened about a year ago. Awesome! 

I think I know what’s for lunch tomorrow.....

http://www.porchlightlatinkitchen.com/

Damn, that menu is incredible.

12 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I make my Bubby’s chicken noodle soup. 

Its Eastern European perfect. 

Jewish Penicillin. 

Proper Jewish chicken noodle soup is a thing of beauty.  It's not the same if it isn't made by a bubbe though.

I cook a lot, though it's mainly just me so I don't make the really good stuff as much.  I make a mean cordon bleu and a pretty good lasagna.  Got my risotto pretty close to the way I want it.  I've been trying to master the chicken meatball (there's an Italian import store that has fantastic ones) but I can't seem to get it quite right.  I'll try again this weekend, soon it'll be too hot to do much stove cooking.

• Like (+1) 1

LOVE cooking.

I love to grill in the summer so I will say my best dish is pork tenderloin or Ribs.

I have to probably go with Ribs.

I just made some in the house and they were fall of the bone and packed with so much flavor.

I also love cooking new things as well.

One thing I really want to try is mussels with white wine and garlic

6 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Proper Jewish chicken noodle soup is a thing of beauty.  It's not the same if it isn't made by a bubbe though.

I cook a lot, though it's mainly just me so I don't make the really good stuff as much.  I make a mean cordon bleu and a pretty good lasagna.  Got my risotto pretty close to the way I want it.  I've been trying to master the chicken meatball (there's an Italian import store that has fantastic ones) but I can't seem to get it quite right.  I'll try again this weekend, soon it'll be too hot to do much stove cooking.

I studied my Bubbys recipe. 

I made a few tweaks. 

My sons eat it almost every day for breakfast. 

Great alternative to oatmeal or cereal. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Damn, that menu is incredible.

And the execution is amazing! I get why you like to explore that cooking. Flavors you just don’t get anywhere else! It’s my choice for lunch tomorrow.....and now I can’t wait! The hard part is choosing...

23 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

LOVE cooking.

I love to grill in the summer so I will say my best dish is pork tenderloin or Ribs.

I just made some in the house and they were fall of the bone and packed with so much flavor.

I saw a bumper sticker that said “I Love To Cook With Wine....sometimes I even put it in the food.”

I love making shrimp scampi with extra garlic, wine and butter. I go overboard on the garlic if it’s just me. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I Can cook like  am a mofo.  

I basically grew up in a restaurant.  Started washing dishes at 14 and worked my way up to line cook before moving out to the front of the house where the real money is.

I don’t like recipes.  I like to go to the grocery store and pick out ingredients that I think go well together.  Usually turns out to be pretty delicious.

Fixed

Tough work growing up.  There is real physicality to restaurant work.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

LOVE cooking.

Believe it or not mussels are really easy.  The hard part is finding a supplier you trust because they need to be fresh.

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I make a mean chicken piccata. 

I also like making a random collection of oddball things, like spaetzle, Liege pearl sugar waffles, and popovers. 

I have a German Aunt by marriage and good lord can she cook.  She makes a spaetzle that is simply fantastic.

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I make a mean chicken piccata. 

I also like making a random collection of oddball things, like spaetzle, Liege pearl sugar waffles, and popovers. 

I can’t say I make a great chicken piccata, but the few times I’ve done it I’VE enjoyed it, and really....what else matters? I love almost any lemon/caper/butter dish. 

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Believe it or not mussels are really easy.  The hard part is finding a supplier you trust because they need to be fresh.

Buffalo Bill is correct they are easy and with any seafood the fresher the better.
I do a pretty good beer batter halibut fish fry. Took me many years to perfect a nice complementary tartar sauce (I like the ying and yang).

It helps being 1 hour from the Pacific ocean. I don't harvest mussels but catch my own fish and crab.
I am also my parents seafood supplier.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

That was basically the genesis for this thread.  My Mrs. is out of town taking care of her dad so I am cooking stuff she will not or can not eat.  I did sous vide steak for the first time the other day which was awesome.  Yesterday it was a broiled lobster tail, risotto and Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat. 

It’s tough to get overly excited about tofu and veggies all the time (wife is vegetarian partly by choice but more due to common sense necessity).  Although I will say that I’ve felt a lot better since changing the diet about two years ago.

My husband decided he needed yet another kitchen gadget, and got a sous vide cooker. The first time he made steak I was like ummm why!?  but boy was I wrong! Completely delicious cooking method (yes, he finishes with the broiler). He's done chicken, ribs (do it! do it! I can't even describe how good these were... they just fell off the bone) and pork shoulder, and that was in the last 4 weeks!

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband decided he needed yet another kitchen gadget, and got a sous vide cooker. The first time he made steak I was like ummm why!?  but boy was I wrong! Completely delicious cooking method (yes, he finishes with the broiler). He's done chicken, ribs (do it! do it! I can't even describe how good these were... they just fell off the bone) and pork shoulder, and that was in the last 4 weeks!

You can cook a great steak without going sous vide, but going WITH makes it almost impossible to mess up! Perfection every time! I got mine after messing up a few New Years ago. I was cooking steaks and tried to grill some prawns in the shell at the same time. The prawns took just minutes, but that was enough for the steaks to go over. There were about a dozen people saying how wonderful it was, but they were lying! 

Go sous vide and never mess up your protein. But I need to try ribs. I cook a good bit, but have never done ribs myself. Maybe that’s the next adventure.

14 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If you buy mussels in the bag(or clams for that matter) they will have a tag on them thats has two dates..harvest date and bag date. I will not buy either one if the harvest date is longer than 5 days.

I prefer to bake.

My best is homemade carrot cake. Everything is real...no box cake mixes. Flour, baking powder, oil, etc. The cream cheese icing is kickass. Super moist and very rich.

Other baked good would be our caramel sweet rolls (have to let the dough rise twice but the end result is amazing). We were able to get the "Lyons Tea Room" caramel roll recipe years and years ago and they are fantastic.

My pizza dough recipe is coming along. After about six attempts and a lot of online research I found a recipe for Bocce Club style pizza dough and it's very close. Also bought some Ezzo style pepperoni so it is the closest I have had to real WNY pizza.