Do you cook? Best dish?

BuffaloBill

I don’t know why, but I’m not a huge risotto fan. We went Christmas Day to a cool place working off a special menu. I got the lobster risotto special (aka find the lobster hunt). Still very rich. 

I’ll follow this thread, I want to know what these folks come up with! 

First go to idea is a sous vide beef tenderloin at 134 degrees, with roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus. Throw in a nice demi-glace and some creamed horseradish, everyone seems pleased. 

I have a brother in law who hopes I’ll do Bobby Flays Greek chicken every time he visits. I broke down the chicken the first time, but then I wised up. Publix breaks a chicken down for you. Thank you very much. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/butterflied-chicken-greek-style-recipe-1941166

Yes, and quite well (comfort foods are my favorite). People learned to cook back in the day. There was none of this going out to eat five times a week. While I do cook, I am a (much) better baker. 

Hubby is an excellent cook, but a terrible baker. He does most of the cooking at our house. YAY!!  His best dishes are his chicken salad (OMG! drool-worthy), beef brisket, crab salad... Ohhhh it's so good.

• Like (+1) 1

Me-jambalaya.Bride-galumpki. She also makes killer pierogi's and potato pancakes ..the list goes on.She is my polish blonde bombshell. Outdoors..i smoke some pork pretty well.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yes, and quite well (comfort foods are my favorite). People learned to cook back in the day. There was none of this going out to eat five times a week. While I do cook, I am a (much) better baker. 

Hubby is an excellent cook, but a terrible baker. He does most of the cooking at our house. YAY!!  His best dishes are his chicken salad (OMG! drool-worthy), beef brisket, crab salad... Ohhhh it's so good.

Add me to the not a good baker list...actually,I'm horrible.

19 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Stromboli. 

SHOCKING!!!   :)

If you have an actual recipe and feel strongly about it, I’m likely to try it. Just sayin’. 

Edited by Augie

8 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

I can grill hot dogs and hamburgers at the same time...

Versatility is a key to finding a spot on the kitchen roster! 

Doing dishes would be like being a special teams ace! 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you cook?  If so, what is your best dish or dishes?  

As for me, the answer is yes.  As for the best I would have to say risotto.  The repertoire goes far beyond this.  

I do cook, almost every day, and I have way too many great dishes to list:P

Having said that, made a pizza tonight in the cast iron..and oh my lord was it awesome! Was coming here to post in the pizza thread, but now this one popped up.

The absolute opposite of Buffalo pizza, this was thin, crispy , and all kinds of awesome!

BTW, I would say my absolute best dish is  a Pork Pernil.

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I do cook, almost every day, and I have way too many great dishes to list:P

Having said that, made a pizza tonight in the cast iron..and oh my lord was it awesome! Was coming here to post in the pizza thread, but now this one popped up.

The absolute opposite of Buffalo pizza, this was thin, crispy , and all kinds of awesome!

BTW, I would say my absolute best dish is  a Pork Pernil.

Is that’s what you’re bringing to the opener? 

I can't wait!!! 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

if you coming to game, i will make the Pernil!

I’m going to try.

Some new stuff came up last week. Life is one giant **** storm! 

Hope to be there. 

Now I need to google what the heck that is! 

I’ve grown to love cooking over the last few years. I find it relaxing after a long day. It is a tough call as far as my best dish. I make a mean steak. Sous vide at 129 and then sear in carbon steel pan while hitting the edges with the blowtorch. I usually pair that with a mushroom risotto. I also make a great bourbon scallop dish. Shrimp with caper brine, lemon, and garlic is in the running too. I recently tried octopus sous vide and seared. It was pretty good! 

0DAC7C8A-E3B8-49EE-AE70-147BB98F7432.jpeg

8DB9281A-CD19-4229-AE0A-825A3B5ACFC5.jpeg

Edited by chknwing334
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I’ve grown to love cooking over the last few years. I find it relaxing after a long day. It is a tough call as far as my best dish. I make a mean steak. Sous vide at 129 and then sear in carbon steel pan while hitting the edges with the blowtorch. I usually pair that with a mushroom risotto. I also make a great bourbon scallop dish. Shrimp with caper brine, lemon, and garlic is in the running too. I recently tried octopus sous vide and seared. It was pretty good! 

While that all sounds good, the shrimp with caper brine, lemon and garlic sounds fantastic!  (Scampi is one of my favorites when the wife is traveling...cooking for ONE is barely worth it.) I may need to try to figure that out. I’m no chef, but I like to try recipes. Unfortunately, the wife barely eats and has restrictions, and my options are limited these days. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

While that all sounds good, the shrimp with caper brine, lemon and garlic sounds fantastic!  (Scampi is one of my favorites when the wife is traveling...cooking for ONE is barely worth it.) I may need to try to figure that out. I’m no chef, but I like to try recipes. Unfortunately, the wife barely eats and has restrictions, and my options are limited these days. 

I follow this recipe pretty closely. I add a bunch of  capers along with the brine and never end up adding water.  It is easy and one of the best shrimp recipes that I’ve ever had. Highly recommended. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220597/simple-garlic-shrimp/

Edited by chknwing334

4 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I follow this recipe pretty closely. I add a bunch of  capers along with the brine and never end up adding water.  It is easy and one of the best shrimp recipes that I’ve ever had. Highly recommended. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220597/simple-garlic-shrimp/

Odd aside, but they specifically mention flat leaf parsley. I hate the curly leaf stuff! Is it a little more bitter or just the texture? My wife doesn’t care about things like that. Fortunately, she’s good about much more important things!