Eggs: White or Brown

Nanker

Living for decades I n Western NY and then Princeton, NJ almost always the eggs we bought had white shells. Since moving to Cape Cod we’re struck by the fact that most of the eggs have brown shells. 

What’s your experience in your neck of the woods?

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The day we don't look at the color of the egg and look at the content of the yolk is the day I dream of.  

But really, do you know if there’s any real difference? Now I’m curious! Why do people insist on cluttering my mind with this nonsense? 

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

But really, do you know if there’s any real difference? Now I’m curious! Why do people insist on cluttering my mind with this nonsense? 

Yes the white ones have more privilege  

Edited by Chef Jim

44 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Have some fresh brown eggs in refrigerator now along with 2 dozen white eggs. I taste no difference. 

It's all dead aborted chicken juice..what did you expect? Wash it all down with a glass of white cow puss and life goes from horrific to euphoric in 15 minutes of morning glory.eat more oatmeal..

Either - we do not discriminate.

When we belonged to a small CSA they used to get them from a local farmer and we bought those as often as possible (they were purchased FAST). We no longer belong to that CSA and I am always leery of buying eggs from the cooler on the side of the road. Not eggsactly appealing to me even though I know if they aren't washed, they are fine. 

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

It's all dead aborted chicken juice..what did you expect? Wash it all down with a glass of white cow puss and life goes from horrific to euphoric in 15 minutes of morning glory.eat more oatmeal..

WTF?

Puke...................

14 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Buy 'Free Range' eggs, brown, or white. Much deeper yolk color, and much better flavor, IMO.-Eggs like you get in Europe, or South America.

That being said, I think organic food in general, is a waste of money, but I will pony up a bit extra for Free Range eggs.

Yeah.  You can definitely notice the difference in the yolk with free range chickens.   When I say free range I refer to the ones wandering about a farm completely unrestricted - even to the point of getting hit by passing cars.

Used to have some Americanas that layed blue eggs.   Tasted the same.   

We typically get our eggs from a local farmer when possible - when their chickens are laying.   The farmer's young kids raise the chickens and sell their eggs.  $2 a dozen.  When their chickens are not laying, we get them from whichever supermarket they are cheapest.  Brown, white - whatever.  

It varies.

Mrs. Bandit and I are in an egg share with local organic farms, so we've had all colors/types.  White, off-white, yellow, blue, green, pink...and they all taste exactly the same :lol:

The thing to look for, IMO, is the color of the yolk--it should be a deep, dark orange, which is indicative of a hen that's foraged for insects and worms.

• Like (+1) 1

We used to raise chickens. Shell color varies with the breed of chicken, but there's no difference in taste or nutritional value.

Deeper orange yolks tend to have more nutrients and better flavor, but that's a function of the hens' food, not the breed or shell color. Free range chickens get a more diverse diet, which leads to healthier and better tasting eggs.

• Like (+1) 1