Active shooter at Florida high school

9 minutes ago, GG said:

That was awfully painful to read.

I conclude that spectrum of the political world  has no interest in working for a solution that is possible to reach on earth. they just want to cry and complain about every second of their existence and blame it on everyone else...

sad, because the left has a rich tradition of deep thought and action in getting the majority to agree to justice for the minority view...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I thought it was just me until you said that

you two aren't on that level of reading that has to be common in computer and the professional world...

that's pitiful.................

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you two aren't on that level of reading that has to be common in computer and the professional world...

that's pitiful.................

Irony of this Statement must be great because I can't understand wtf you're saying

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

He's a decent man.

London Review of Books tears into Obama (likes he almost as bad as Trump) for a review on a book by Ta-Nehisi Coates this month, this is a major-league libleft magazine.... so Obama sucked and Bill Clinton sucked.... what more are you honestly hoping for people????

I just read the article.  It is critical of Obama, although the scope of the review is much larger than that.  This quote is a good representation of the author’s (Pankaj Mishra) beef with the Obama presidency:

“During his eight years in office, he expanded covert operations and air strikes deep into Africa; girding the continent with American military bases, he exposed large parts of it to violence, anarchy and tyrannical rule. He not only expanded mass surveillance and government data-mining operations at home, and ruthlessly prosecuted whistleblowers, but invested his office with the lethal power to execute anyone, even American citizens, anywhere in the world.”

Also,

“…mass deportations, and cravenness before the titans of finance who ruined millions of black as well as white lives.”

I think these are valid criticisms.  It’s a good article.  I’m curious what some here would think of it.  The ultimate point of the article has to do with RACE and the failure of liberalism to attack the real fundamental structural problems of inequality in society.

This quote I think captures the central point very well:

“The widespread belief that Obama had inaugurated a ‘postracial’ age helped conceal the ways in which the barefaced cruelties of segregation’s distant past had been softening since the 1960s into subtle exclusions and injustices.”

Ultimately, the author of the article is critical of Coates for not going far enough to impugn so-called progressives for their failures so far in this century.

EDIT:  By the way, I don't think it would be fair at all to say they treated Obama as "almost as bad as Trump."  The article calls Trump an white supremacist at two separate points.

Edited by Cugalabanza
  • Thank you (+1) 1

thanks Cuga, every essay and review I read about Bill C and Obama are attacking them. They are the best the Dems can honestly hope for in the real world.

I didn't expect a paradise of racial reconciliation from 8 years of Obama, and even though a conservative I can consider him a decent man and his Admin a good one, but clearly behind Reagan/Nixon/Bill Clinton.

I do not place all that much faith in politicians to effect change or do much of anything, unless there is true danger like the Depression or WW2 or your Civil War.

I expected a puff-piece on behalf of Obama and Coates and went into more and more of a bemusedly surprised state with each paragraph....

Good to get a surprise, have subscribed to the LRB for 25 years now, the TLS is just too expensive and won't add much more to my reading interests.

28 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I just read the article.  It is critical of Obama, although the scope of the review is much larger than that.  This quote is a good representation of the author’s (Pankaj Mishra) beef with the Obama presidency:

“During his eight years in office, he expanded covert operations and air strikes deep into Africa; girding the continent with American military bases, he exposed large parts of it to violence, anarchy and tyrannical rule. He not only expanded mass surveillance and government data-mining operations at home, and ruthlessly prosecuted whistleblowers, but invested his office with the lethal power to execute anyone, even American citizens, anywhere in the world.”

Also,

“…mass deportations, and cravenness before the titans of finance who ruined millions of black as well as white lives.”

I think these are valid criticisms.  It’s a good article.  I’m curious what some here would think of it.  The ultimate point of the article has to do with RACE and the failure of liberalism to attack the real fundamental structural problems of inequality in society.

This quote I think captures the central point very well:

“The widespread belief that Obama had inaugurated a ‘postracial’ age helped conceal the ways in which the barefaced cruelties of segregation’s distant past had been softening since the 1960s into subtle exclusions and injustices.”

Ultimately, the author of the article is critical of Coates for not going far enough to impugn so-called progressives for their failures so far in this century.

EDIT:  By the way, I don't think it would be fair at all to say they treated Obama as "almost as bad as Trump."  The article calls Trump an white supremacist at two separate points.

In other words, a leftist publication complaining that Obama - and Coates - aren't nearly leftist enought.  

What a...surprise...

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

thanks Cuga, every essay and review I read about Bill C and Obama are attacking them. They are the best the Dems can honestly hope for in the real world.

I didn't expect a paradise of racial reconciliation from 8 years of Obama, and even though a conservative I can consider him a decent man and his Admin a good one, but clearly behind Reagan/Nixon/Bill Clinton.

I do not place all that much faith in politicians to effect change or do much of anything, unless there is true danger like the Depression or WW2 or your Civil War.

I expected a puff-piece on behalf of Obama and Coates and went into more and more of a bemusedly surprised state with each paragraph....

Good to get a surprise, have subscribed to the LRB for 25 years now, the TLS is just too expensive and won't add much more to my reading interests.

My take on Obama (like anybody cares) is that he is, at heart, a good guy.  I think he understood what he was up against.  Obama is fond of the big ship analogy:  to turn around, you can't just crank the wheel--you have to do it very gradually, in degrees.  I think that's the essence of his two terms.  He made concessions to the status quo in order to make incremental improvements where he felt he could.

Overall, I view Obama positively.  The one area where I can't quite reconcile is the mass surveillance.  For me, that's the worst of Obama's legacy.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

In other words, a leftist publication complaining that Obama - and Coates - aren't nearly leftist enought.  

What a...surprise...

That's essentially it, yes.  But, you know, with flair.

Edited by Cugalabanza

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I conclude that spectrum of the political world  has no interest in working for a solution that is possible to reach on earth. they just want to cry and complain about every second of their existence and blame it on everyone else...

sad, because the left has a rich tradition of deep thought and action in getting the majority to agree to justice for the minority view...

I was referring to the LRB review that you mentioned ...

But since you brought it up, your post shows the constant contradiction of your positions here.   You can't complain about politicians not working on a solution without recognizing that the solution can't come from politicians.  Maybe that's why you liked the LRB review of Coates' book.

And never mind the delicious irony of a guy named Pankaj Mishra, living in the UK and slamming America's imperialism.

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

That's essentially it, yes.  But, you know, with flair.

That's why I didn't bother looking for the review.  The London Review of Books slightly right of Lenin...they probably consider Obama a center-rightist.

7 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

My take on Obama (like anybody cares) is that he is, at heart, a good guy.  I think he understood what he was up against.  Obama is fond of the big ship analogy:  to turn around, you can't just crank the wheel--you have to do it very gradually, in degrees.  I think that's the essence of his two terms.  He made concessions to the status quo in order to make incremental improvements where he felt he could.

Overall, I view Obama positively.  The one area where I can't quite reconcile is the mass surveillance.  For me, that's the worst of Obama's legacy.

I'm always open to a good chat...  I despise his Party but place Obama and Slick Willy as good Presidents, we haven't experienced many poor admins the last 50 years, compared to the prior history.

each admin has its good and bad, i don't fault Obama for continuing the war on terrorism

9 minutes ago, GG said:

I was referring to the LRB review that you mentioned ...

But since you brought it up, your post shows the constant contradiction of your positions here.   You can't complain about politicians not working on a solution without recognizing that the solution can't come from politicians.  Maybe that's why you liked the LRB review of Coates' book.

And never mind the delicious irony of a guy named Pankaj Mishra, living in the UK and slamming America's imperialism.

i was hoping you meant you read the article.... but then the next poster completely showed me maybe you meant something else....  which was very disappointing, but not your fault, thanks for backing it up....

i didn't like the review, it caused some mild shock and laughter and head-shaking...  most political views in the LRB are against my views but that's the price paid to read the upper tier of my middle-brow interests.

I don't believe in political solutions, so I do not have deep contradictions.  But that's a tactic of the left, to invent contradictions of no material value to make up some kind of fight I don't care about....

Mishra is an interesting character, a good read, lots of bones to spit out when done.

I would enjoy chats in this realm of decent thought, they don't come often enough here.  :D

13 minutes ago, Cinga said:

"Our school resource officer was alerted to the event. he pursued the shooter, engaged the shooter, fired a round at the shooter," St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron said. "The shooter fired a round as well. In the hours and days to come, we'll be able to determine if our school resource officer's round struck the shooter."

This is how LEO's are trained now.  Pursue the shooter, put rounds on the shooter.  That is what stops mass shootings.  That last bit of the quote is telling.  Training says that a mass shooter is likely to off themselves if an officer engages and puts rounds on them.  They aren't looking for a fight.  They're looking for victims.

18 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

This is how LEO's are trained now.  Pursue the shooter, put rounds on the shooter.  That is what stops mass shootings.  That last bit of the quote is telling.  Training says that a mass shooter is likely to off themselves if an officer engages and puts rounds on them.  They aren't looking for a fight.  They're looking for victims.

Probably wasn't a mass shooting, anyway.  Shooter was likely targeting a specific person or people in this case.

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Probably wasn't a mass shooting, anyway.  Shooter was likely targeting a specific person or people in this case.

you don't know that but it is something the lamestream has already said. But from the time of the first shot, until the time the resource officer confronted the perp, was less than 1 minute. So the main thing that is certain from this, is that when acting as they are trained, the LEO attacks the shooter as quickly as possible to minimize damage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

you don't know that but it is something the lamestream has already said. But from the time of the first shot, until the time the resource officer confronted the perp, was less than 1 minute. So the main thing that is certain from this, is that when acting as they are trained, the LEO attacks the shooter as quickly as possible to minimize damage.

I don't know that...but I do know that the shooter targeted a girl and boy in a hallway before he was engaged by the "resource officer," whereas most mass shooters target crowds, and usually indiscriminately at that.

So yeah, I don't know it wasn't a mass shooting...but it probably wasn't a mass shooting.

• Like (+1) 1