Active shooter at Florida high school

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

In that it plays a role, it's that it desensitizes.  It weakens inhibitions...which is not causal.  

Not causal but contributory. 

Funny how the media industry is first in line to investigate other industries' ills, but good luck seeing any research on any possible effects of TV & video game programming over the last 3 decades.

GoodCops are really between a rock & hard place in this inattentive society:

“Sheriff Israel failed to maintain a culture of alertness, vigilance and thoroughness amongst his deputies,” Corcoran wrote in a letter released Sunday. “As a result of Sheriff Israel’s failures, students and teachers died.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/25/sheriff-facing-questions-about-school-shooting-response-says-he-has-given-amazing-leadership/?utm_term=.773709f87aab

They either are going too hard or too light on what role they play.  They can't win.  Yeah, now let's give guns to everybody!  Why the LEO establishment would want an armed TO THE TEETH (notice those words) populace is beyond me.  It only makes their job harder.  Now, a whole younger generation ever so connected and distracted by their devices are entering the workforce.  It's a mess..

Situational awareness is at an all-time low.  People in general are lazy and stuck on cruise control waiting for somebody to jump in and lead.  Yeah, let's give 'em more weapons, handle things themselves.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Japan would lock up 2/3 of the US underclass

11 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And a culture of excessive politeness and emotional repression.  And an odd situation where gang wars are regulated by the government.

I wouldn't consider it a valid comparison, since by our standards the Japanese are really weird.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Japanese culture would straighten out the goofballs jerking around for generations in the US. Maybe 160,000,000 of them in about 4 years max.

51620151126140.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Japan has some serious cultural oddities.

Some make it nice, like the immense social pressure to not be a criminal, as it shames your family for awhile.

Others are not so nice, like their resistance to integrate other races or cultures.

Add that to a serious demographic problem, agricultural problems of all sorts and the unbelievable earthquake/tsunami threat and you have quite a situation.

I really don't think the place will be around in the same form in 50 years.

Simply unbelievable amount of relatively serious seismic activity there and in the nearby ocean floor.

It is realy unusual to spend a couple days there and not feel some trembler.

It's the only place I routinely traveled to that I dept a get-away kit on my nightstand. Clothes, flashlight, passport, wallet etc., and we  always briefed a rendezvous  point in case we had to abandon the hotel.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

GoodCops are really between a rock & hard place in this inattentive society:

“Sheriff Israel failed to maintain a culture of alertness, vigilance and thoroughness amongst his deputies,” Corcoran wrote in a letter released Sunday. “As a result of Sheriff Israel’s failures, students and teachers died.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/25/sheriff-facing-questions-about-school-shooting-response-says-he-has-given-amazing-leadership/?utm_term=.773709f87aab

They either are going too hard or too light on what role they play.  They can't win.  Yeah, now let's give guns to everybody!  Why the LEO establishment would want an armed TO THE TEETH (notice those words) populace is beyond me.  It only makes their job harder.  Now, a whole younger generation ever so connected and distracted by their devices are entering the workforce.  It's a mess..

Situational awareness is at an all-time low.  People in general are lazy and stuck on cruise control waiting for somebody to jump in and lead.  Yeah, let's give 'em more weapons, handle things themselves.

I don't see how blaming the sheriff here is in any ways sensible. Just a distraction 

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-house-republicans-demand-sheriff-205217924.html

Heres the problem....gutless cops. Is anybody shocked? !@#$ing gutless. What kind of man hears the screams of children and only considers their own safety? A !@#$ing cop. 

Hmmm if only the wimpitization? of America stopped at cops. You're delusional. 

About 6 months ago a kid wandered into a yard where two pitbulls were fenced in. People stood by and watched him get ripped into pieces. It was a few towns over from where I live and IIRC he was 8 years old? Plenty of people out there who's first instinct is to take out a cell phone and record someone else's demise, much less people that will risk their well being to save someone else's.

Edited by Commonsense

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-house-republicans-demand-sheriff-205217924.html

Heres the problem....gutless cops. Is anybody shocked? !@#$ing gutless. What kind of man hears the screams of children and only considers their own safety? A !@#$ing cop. 

yes, I'm shocked. not surprised, unfortunately, but shocked. same response I had to hearing a kid would walk in and murder 17 people. Shocked, but not surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes,  that's been a common denominator in mass shooting events in history.  You sir,  are a genius.  

• Like (+1) 1

I agree.

But to answer your question: One in a me, the individual world, kinda person.  One that is probably watching his 401k grow and is ready to retire.

It was only four minutes, which is an eternity... Some paralyze and some pull a Leeroy Jenkins.  It would be nice to have a happy middle.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Keep in mind, too, that the standard practice would be to set up a perimeter and control the situation from the outside first, then evacuate the building.  Even SWAT would hesitate to run in to an active shooting, and they're trained and equipped for it.  Never mind some podunk hick Florida deputy who can't even hold a gun because he's got severe carpal tunnel from writing too many traffic citations.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Hmmm if only the pussification of America stopped at cops. You're delusional. 

About 6 months ago a kid wandered into a yard where two pitbulls were fenced in. People stood by and watched him get ripped into pieces. It was a few towns over from where I live and IIRC he was 8 years old? Plenty of people out there who's first instinct is to take out a cell phone and record someone else's demise, much less people that will risk their well being to save someone else's.

Watch out. I got in trouble using pussification. 

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Keep in mind, too, that the standard practice would be to set up a perimeter and control the situation from the outside first, then evacuate the building.  Even SWAT would hesitate to run in to an active shooting, and they're trained and equipped for it.  Never mind some podunk hick Florida deputy who can't even hold a gun because he's got severe carpal tunnel from writing too many traffic citations.

I don't get the strong emotions over the deputy. Simple enough: call him a coward. Sure, he could have ran in but he'd not make a difference.

The biggest situation here is not the deputy, it is the sheriff. Everyone focused on the deputy is ignoring the ****head sheriff.

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't get the strong emotions over the deputy. Simple enough: call him a coward. Sure, he could have ran in but he'd not make a difference.

The biggest situation here is not the deputy, it is the sheriff. Everyone focused on the deputy is ignoring the ****head sheriff.

The sheriff is truly a ****head.  

17 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Edited. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I talked to a friend of mine in law enforcement this weekend.

After Columbine law enforcement has been trained to enter and engage in these situations, not wait.  He was adamant that an area like Broward would have received this training and should have entered.

Also, if your name is Scott Peterson, you should change your name.

Edited by Joe Miner

3 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

I talked to a friend of mine in law enforcement this weekend.

After Columbine law enforcement has been trained to enter and engage in these situations, not wait.  He was adamant that an area like Broward would have received this training and should have entered.

Also, if your name is Scott Peterson, you should change your name.

This.  Many departments now train for the first officer(s) on scene to press the shooter immediately (this can vary, some departments will tell you to have at least two officers, some four).  Some even say to not bother clearing rooms at first, but to get to the gunfire and send rounds at the shooter as that's the most effective way to stop an active shooting.

I don't know how Broward County SD is trained for active shooter situations though. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That sheriff is an absolute clown.  Any  LEO wth a shred of self respect left should leave that agency and not look back.