Active shooter at Florida high school

6 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

At risk of running off on a tangent,  I would ask if you have played any of the new generation of FPS video games (non sci fi  shooters)? Companies spend a lot of money making them look as realistic as possible. Virtual reality is becoming more mainstream, so it's only going to get worse (or, better?).  Pretty much the only thing that is missing is the smell of gunpowder and the iron in the blood.  I'm sure smell-o-vision isn't too far off though.  

'Ultra realistic' is a marketing term that companies have been using for over a decade to sell their games. In reality: no, graphics are not 'ultra realistic'.

Graphics in the latest games look darn impressive - and are improving with each passing year - but it's not the same thing as real life.

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

'Ultra realistic' is a marketing term that companies have been using for over a decade to sell their games. In reality: no, graphics are not 'ultra realistic'.

Graphics in the latest games look darn impressive - and are improving with each passing year - but it's not the same thing as real life.

Semantics, I suppose.  My point is still that the games are plenty realistic enough to damage the brains of adolescents that immerse themselves in it for hours, upon hours daily. 

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I think to some of these people who play them for hours it is almost their whole life.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, TtownBillsFan said:

Honest question, and I'm going to ask and then have to run, my apologies, I'll be back to respond.

Question:  Do violent video games play any part in the school shootings?  I really don't know the answer now-adays (kitschy language intended).

I know it didn't matter to me personally, and I don't think games had any negative influence on my generation, short of 20 extra pounds from inactivity.  But I grew up with Mario and Samus and Zelda.  I still play now, but as an 'adult'.  So, do the ultra-realistic, violent video games of today share any blame in teen/young-adult violence?  I don't think so, but what say ya'll?

Re Vidya games...

I played mario for a decade.  I've been smashing my head in to bricks ever since

32 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Re Vidya games...

I played mario for a decade.  I've been smashing my head in to bricks ever since

Was it a decade of Mario, or all the glue and lead paint chips you ate?

43 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Semantics, I suppose.  My point is still that the games are plenty realistic enough to damage the brains of adolescents that immerse themselves in it for hours, upon hours daily. 

A few decades ago, it was movies. Before that, comic books. Before that, penny dreadfuls.

It's all bullSchiff excuses to pass blame for someone being a whackjob who does something bad.

Edited by Koko78

4 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

A few decades ago, it was movies. Before that, comic books. Before that, penny dreadfuls.

It's all bullSchiff excuses to pass blame for someone being a whackjob who does something bad.

Why can't it be both?

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I'm not saying that it is 100 percent causal in these situations. I do believe it does play a role,  and I believe the science backs that up. Not everyone who plays call of duty for 30 hours a week is going to shoot up a school.  A very small percentage will.  I'm willing to bet that most of these types of suspects have certain traits and habits that tend towards committing these acts, with one of them being immersed in the culture where the brain is desensitized to killing. I'm no expert,  but I've done reading and have some relevant real life experience. I also stayed at a holiday inn express last night. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I'm not saying that it is 100 percent causal in these situations. I do believe it does play a role,  and I believe the science backs that up. Not everyone who plays call of duty for 30 hours a week is going to shoot up a school.  A very small percentage will.  I'm willing to bet that most of these types of suspects have certain traits and habits that tend towards committing these acts, with one of them being immersed in the culture where the brain is desensitized to killing. I'm no expert,  but I've done reading and have some relevant real life experience. I also stayed at a holiday in express last night. 

In that it plays a role, it's that it desensitizes.  It weakens inhibitions...which is not causal.  

Many countries allow their young to play violent video games and don't have anywhere near the gun deaths.  Japan, for instance, allows equally violent video games as the US. 

I recall reading that in 2013 they had 13 gun deaths to our approximately 32,000.  Adjusting for their smaller population, it becomes 32,000 vs 39.  Sure, it may desensitize, but the difference is the ease of access to guns, imo.

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

Many countries allow their young to play violent video games and don't have anywhere near the gun deaths.  Japan, for instance, allows equally violent video games as the US. 

I recall reading that in 2013 they had 13 gun deaths to our approximately 32,000.  Adjusting for their smaller population, it becomes 32,000 vs 39.  Sure, it may desensitize, but the difference is the ease of access to guns, imo.

Japan also has a culture of responsibility whereas the United States has bred the victim mentality over the past few generations

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Japan also has a culture of responsibility whereas the United States has bred the victim mentality over the past few generations

And a culture of excessive politeness and emotional repression.  And an odd situation where gang wars are regulated by the government.

I wouldn't consider it a valid comparison, since by our standards the Japanese are really weird.