Active shooter at Florida high school

12 hours ago, #34fan said:

It's not even about that anymore... It's about grownups at many levels letting these kids down... The 75k a year cop (With a gun) refusing to engage, The FBI (with tons of guns) refusing to even acknowledge a credible threat... These kids got royally SCREWED... No wonder why they don't trust grownups.

The 35th straight generation whining it’s the first one to be let down by adults....

17 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Play any part? Certainly they do.  I suggest reading "On Killing" authored by Lt. Col. (Ret.) Dave Grossman.  The vast majority of well adjusted humans have built into our brains safeguards that shield us from the desire to kill another human. Most species have an innate avoidance of killing their own kind. The nation's military understands this,  and it has been documented over and over in wars of bygone eras. To combat this,  the military has become extremely effective at indoctrinating recruits and retraining their brains to widdle down this safeguard.  One of the most effective ways at retraining the brain is to view violent, realistic death... over and over and over.. with no negative consequence.  Violent video games, and to a lesser extent violent movies and tv,  do this to a "T". Players are actually rewarded with higher scores for killing other players, so not only is there no negative consequence for killing,  but there is positive reinforcement.  Video games have evolved so much in graphics and realism, that the human mind begins to be retrained. The line between what is real and what is fake begins to blur.  For an adult,  it isn't so much of a big deal.  But,  for a 12 year old boy that plays these games for 6 hours a day (or more), there is certainly an effect. 

https://www.killology.com/teaching-kids-to-kill

He touches on a lot of stuff in the link above,  but reading "On Killing" is highly recommended. 

BTW, I enjoy my first person shooter games as much as the next guy and play an hour or three a week. 

As kids my older brother and I would set up little plastic army men on two sides and with BB guns blazing the battle would rage on until the last army man left standing. The loser ( me ) got to do all the chores that day. Much to my late dads dismay we would play cowboys and Indians on his pool table. Cowboys were solids, indians stripes. My older brother would take position on one side of the table, myself on the other and we would sling balls across the pool table at each other until the last ball left standing. The loser (me)  sporting smashed fingers, did all the chores that day. Some of us played cops and robbers as kids with toy weapons. We grew up watching it in our drive ins and movie theatres, Sci Fi's, horror flicks, murder mysteries.

Deep down where nobody wants to go violence, death and destruction entertains us...

...and my older brother was lazy...

My active school shooter threat elimination suggestions:  Advancement in technology on Metal detection devices and security drone usage armed with pepper spray/ tazzer capabilities.

Edited by Figster

23 minutes ago, Figster said:

As kids my older brother and I would set up little plastic army men on two sides and with BB guns blazing the battle would rage on until the last army man left standing. The loser ( me ) got to do all the chores that day. Much to my late dads dismay we would play cowboys and Indians on his pool table. Cowboys were solids, indians stripes. My older brother would take position on one side of the table, myself on the other and we would sling balls across the pool table at each other until the last ball left standing. The loser (me)  sporting smashed fingers, did all the chores that day. Some of us played cops and robbers as kids with toy weapons. We grew up watching it in our drive ins and movie theatres, Sci Fi's, horror flicks, murder mysteries.

Deep down where nobody wants to go violence, death and destruction entertains us...

Not too lazy to turn you into a loser, eh?:D

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Those two things are beyond infuriating.  !@#$ing coward cop should be in prison.  Or shot.

Yes, yes, there were countless people who should have caught this guy long before he murdered anyone, but we don't have time for that now. We need to take everyone's guns and dismantle the NRA.

Only then will we be safe from people with guns.

3 hours ago, Figster said:

My active school shooter threat elimination suggestions:  Advancement in technology on Metal detection devices and security drone usage armed with pepper spray/ tazzer capabilities.

I know it entertains us.   Those examples of typical adolescent male game playing are much different than the repeated visual depiction of shooting a ultra realistic looking human in the head and watching his brain explode out of it...over and over and over. That densensitizes your brain to it. Its the same reason that when I do my yearly firearms qualifications they have us shooting a target that looks human, instead of a bullseye style target that they used to use back a couple decades ago.  It is natural to have some sort of curiosity towards death and destruction. It isn't natural to want to be the one that inflicts that on another human being.

Sources: Coral Springs police upset at some Broward deputies for not entering school

When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN.

Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. It's unclear whether the shooter was still in the building when they arrived.

The resentment among Coral Springs officials toward Broward County officials about what they perceived to be a dereliction of duty may have reached a boiling point at a vigil the night of February 15, where, in front of dozens of others, Coral Springs City Manager Mike Goodrum confronted Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics/parkland-school-shooting-broward-deputies/index.html

10 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I know it entertains us.   Those examples of typical adolescent male game playing are much different than the repeated visual depiction of shooting a ultra realistic looking human in the head and watching his brain explode out of it...over and over and over. That densensitizes your brain to it. Its the same reason that when I do my yearly firearms qualifications they have us shooting a target that looks human, instead of a bullseye style target that they used to use back a couple decades ago.  It is natural to have some sort of curiosity towards death and destruction. It isn't natural to want to be the one that inflicts that on another human being.

Our president is asking school teachers to inflict death on another human being. Its not natural, but we would all like the school shooter shot.

Do you see anything wrong with this picture SigHunter? 

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Our president is asking school teachers to inflict death on another human being. Its not natural, but we would all like the school shooter shot.

Do you see anything wrong with this picture SigHunter? 

Fake news.  It reminds me of "All in the Family" episode where Archie wanted to arm ever plane passenger.  What could go wrong?  At the very least it's a good grizzly bear deterrent.

Edited by Doc Brown

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Is this a statement that you truly feel accurately characterizes the president's words?

7 hours ago, Azalin said:

Is this a statement that you truly feel accurately characterizes the president's words?

Its a statement that characterizes what we would be asking a teacher to do, something even trained professionals struggle doing.

Myself personally Azalin, kids act on impulse and adding loaded guns to the equation is the equivalent of trying to put out a fire with gasoline in my humble opinion.

President Trump is not afraid to go outside the box to fix a problem and I'm ok with that, I just don't like the idea.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Teachers confronting a mass shooter isn't a new idea?

Not at all, kids have been taught drills for this moment for years now, friends and relatives kids in the US know their teachers are armed

what planet did you just get back from?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not at all, kids have been taught drills for this moment for years now, friends and relatives kids in the US know their teachers are armed

It really is news to me so thanks.

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Really?

I've raised three, from kindergarten through college, and have served on numerous committees in that time.

I've never heard that, and would have acted if I had. 

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Really?

I've raised three, from kindergarten through college, and have served on numerous committees in that time.

I've never heard that, and would have acted if I had. 

If you research it like I just did over two dozen states allow firearms on school grounds and naturally Texas is leading the charge.

39 minutes ago, Figster said:

Its a statement that characterizes what we would be asking a teacher to do, something even trained professionals struggle doing.

Myself personally Azalin, kids act on impulse and adding loaded guns to the equation is the equivalent of trying to put out a fire with gasoline in my humble opinion.

President Trump is not afraid to go outside the box to fix a problem and I'm ok with that, I just don't like the idea.

That's a more fair characterization of the president's suggestion than "Our president is asking school teachers to inflict death on another human being". 

For what it's worth, I don't care for the idea either but I think we can be a little more fair to him than that.