Bills hire new Director of Analytics, Head Athletic Trainer & Video Director

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Nate Breske is a son of a B word.  He once sent me a video tape of him having sex with my wife... I'll tell ya, it waseems the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

He's a 10 foot tall beast man who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Video Director?  

Is that like being the head of the Audio Visual Department in school?     Maybe I should have applied.  

..prolly Castillo's cousin helping him add to his "pictures" so he'll NEVER be fired.................

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

And again, no QB. 

The worst NFL analytics guy in the NFL (whatever that means) would have walked into the Browns FO and said "yeah, you need to draft a QB and get a new HC".  Drop the mic.

Saying that the Browns were a disaster because "they are the Browns" isn't much of an analysis.  They had spreadsheets.  They had the same info available to all teams.   They had the analytics guy.  They one a single game in 2 years.

"Best draft"?  Maybe for a team that drafts badly---but, big deal.  What special analysis does that require?  Still  bad offense, bad defense.  They were better off when Mike Pettine was doing the "analytics".

Thanks for making my point.  The HC made those decisions, not the gut form the spreadsheet department. 

The info comes form the coaching staff (with an understanding of football) putting in hours of film analysis, instead of having a stranger so it and tell them his findings.

This isn't the MLB---good thing too because the MLB is close to death by fan apathy.

5BC2304F-145C-47D5-8972-B5E4A3132C3B.jpeg

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It stemmed from a conversation last week on the role of an analytics person. I argued that it matters zero that they know football. It matters a lot that they know analytics. 

Analytics should be, and are, used in all aspects of sport. They are a giant piece to the puzzle. They just aren’t the only piece. All of these different pieces of information (scouting reports, numbers, coach feedback,  interview, etc...) are compiled and decisions are made. You need to factor in EVERYTHING not some things. That’s what every good team does. The more information that you have the better.

I get the sense that the analytics guy won’t have much of a say in football operations.  It sounds like he’s the general analytics person for the organization.

Notice how his title has nothing to do with football?  Also the Application Development part makes me think he’s more on the IT/Business side than he is in McDermott’s headphones like the dude in Philly

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I get the sense that the analytics guy won’t have much of a say in football operations.  It sounds like he’s the general analytics person for the organization.

Notice how his title has nothing to do with football?  Also the Application Development part makes me think he’s more on the IT/Business side than he is in McDermott’s headphones like the dude in Philly

I believe that he is in football operations. His boss is probably Beane. I’m not positive but that’s often the structure.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

As long as the analytics department focuses on football. And not Russ Brandons direction of ticket sales 

They’ll have people doing both. What business in 2018 isn’t dependent on analytics? 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe that he is in football operations. His boss is probably Beane. I’m not positive but that’s often the structure.

They’ll have people doing both. What business in 2018 isn’t dependent on analytics? 

Well the Buffalo Bills Analytics prior to this year then. According to the Managing Partner Russ

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How much football did the analytics guy play?!? Terrible hire!! 

The guy that ran analytics for the super bowl champion eagles didn't play a single down of football, he was actually an economic major. 

Educate yourself Kirb.

It was sarcasm probably. You got me.

Edited by Elite Poster

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well the Buffalo Bills Analytics prior to this year then. According to the Managing Partner Russ

The Bills aren’t exactly the Houston Rockets when it comes to analytics but they certainly use them. It needs to step up though for sure.

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

The guy that ran analytics for the super bowl champion eagles didn't play a single down of football, he was actually an economic major. 

Educate yourself Kirb.

It was sarcasm probably. You got me.

0:)

The only thing this thread proves is that people around here have no idea what the difference is between an "Analyst" and "Director of Analytics". 

My guess is that he's going to be building internal backend database applications and interfaces to manage data on prospects and FAs for the coaching staff and scouts. He will not be analyzing the results, he will be building algorithms to link data points and, possibly, weight them per coaches and staff recommendations but this will most likely be a warehouse for information and providing accessibility.

• 2 weeks later...