(Sessions) Now, why would you do this?

I knew I'd sort of take a hit one this one. :lol:

I still feel that Sessions' words were problematic.  I know I'm alone on that here.  I understand how people are fed up with oversensitivity.  I get that.  I just feel like "Anglo-American Heritage" as used here excludes some certain people.  And Sessions has a history of being seen as insensitive about this stuff, so he should be more self aware.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I still feel that Sessions' words were problematic.  I know I'm alone on that here.  I understand how people are fed up with oversensitivity.  I get that.  I just feel like "Anglo-American Heritage" as used here excludes some certain people.  And Sessions has a history of being seen as insensitive about this stuff, so he should be more self aware.

The only reason it's a news story is because Jeff Sessions said it.  I'm sure you could go back and find a speech by Obama or Powell using the same term in the correct way like Sessions did without any outrage.

Edited by Doc Brown

13 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

What? You mean like his vicious crack down on defenseless immigrants? Ya, he isn't trying to socially engineer the demographics. No, not Jeffery. 

The anglo-American think was standard fare during the civil rights movement, to try and use the old social Darwinism garbage in a not so subtle way to denote racial superiority. The history of the sheriff's origin is right, old England and all. But the memories of racist sheriffs is still kind of a raw wound to many. The murder of civil rights workers in Philadelphia Mississippi (Mississippi Burning) was carried out by the sheriff there, for instance. 

29 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

History isn't inclusive, it's history.  It's OK to have history, and it's OK to acknowledge that history.

We can't make history inclusive unless we re-write it, and we shouldn't sanitize it, even if it's the history of terrible European, white, male, cis gendered people who otherwise need to be wiped from the face of the Earth.

Again, the only thing that's problematic here are the people that find this problematic.

43 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

History isn't inclusive, it's history.  It's OK to have history, and it's OK to acknowledge that history.

Obviously.

My objection is that I think Session isn’t just referencing a piece of history. I think he’s implying something about the Present, in terms of how things ought to be.  It’s a fetishising of an ideal that is conspicuously...white.

5 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Obviously.

My objection is that I think Session isn’t just referencing a piece of history. I think he’s implying something about the Present, in terms of how things ought to be.  It’s a fetishising of an ideal that is conspicuously...white.

Well, considering that Sessions didn't describe anything as "white", you're wrong.

And, again, it's OK for things to have their history tied to Europe, and it's OK to talk about that history.  It's even OK to acknowledge positive things about that history.  Even if you're a public figure.  Even if you're a Republican.  Even if you're a Trump appointee.  Even if you're a Trump supporter.

The !@#$s are the ones attributing even a drop of malice to Sessions over this, not Jeff Sessions.

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Well, considering that Sessions didn't describe anything as "white", you're wrong.

And, again, it's OK for things to have their history tied to Europe, and it's OK to talk about that history.  It's even OK to acknowledge positive things about that history.  Even if you're a public figure.  Even if you're a Republican.  Even if you're a Trump appointee.  Even if you're a Trump supporter.

The !@#$s are the ones attributing even a drop of malice to Sessions over this, not Jeff Sessions.

I wouldn’t call it malice from Sessions.  I’d call it being tone deaf and insensitive.

1 hour ago, Cugalabanza said:

I wouldn’t call it malice from Sessions.  I’d call it being tone deaf and insensitive.

Well, that's apparently because you think there is something wrong with having history tied to Europe, and talking about that history; especially if that thing holding that history is a positive, even more especially if the person is a public figure appointed by Trump who supports the president.

And I know this to be true because you think what he did was wrong.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Well, that's apparently because you think there is something wrong with having history tied to Europe, and talking about that history; especially is that thing holding that history is a positive, even more especially if the person is a public figure appointed by Trump who supports the president.

Ok

PROBLEMATIC! Charles C.W. Cooke recalls someone ELSE who ‘constantly’ used ‘Anglo-American’

Jeff Sessions is getting dragged by the ignorant masses for daring to say that “the office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement.” But if they’re gonna go after him, they’d better save some tines on their pitchforks for another egregious white supremacist dog-whistler:

DV3d8RUXcAEQndB.jpg:largeHere’s then-Senator Obama using the term “Anglo-American” as correctly and appropriately as Sessions did

He used it constantly. pic.twitter.com/6ZkqNwm7kf (Two more examples.)

but, you know "codes and dog whistles.

On the matter of those racist dog whistles all these middle-age white liberals keep hearing, the Wall Street Journal’s James Taranto put it very well: “The thing we adore about these dog-whistle kerfuffles is that the people who react to the whistle always assume it’s intended for somebody else,” he wrote. “The whole point of the metaphor is that if you can hear the whistle, you’re the dog.” And a very rare breed at that. 

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm sure the common law system we use in the majority of states will soon be called racist, since it was adopted from England as well.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

What? You mean like his vicious crack down on defenseless immigrants? Ya, he isn't trying to socially engineer the demographics. No, not Jeffery.

What the !@#$ are you babbling on about now?

Did Sessions become the head of DHS when I wasn't looking?

Edited by Koko78

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Well, that's apparently because you think there is something wrong with having history tied to Europe, and talking about that history; especially if that thing holding that history is a positive, even more especially if the person is a public figure appointed by Trump who supports the president.

The truly sad part about trying to wish away the Anglo-American heritage is the complete ignorance of history and lack of perspective.  Like it or not, but the Anglo-Americanism is the greatest experiment in human history, and people who live here are the luckiest beings on earth.   Note that none of the critics of Anglo-America are voting with their feet to move to their paradise, wherever that is.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, GG said:

The truly sad part about trying to wish away the Anglo-American heritage is the complete ignorance of history and lack of perspective.  Like it or not, but the Anglo-Americanism is the greatest experiment in human history, and people who live here are the luckiest beings on earth.   Note that none of the critics of Anglo-America are voting with their feet to move to their paradise, wherever that is.

One of the greatest genocidal forces in history, responsible for the deaths of almost a quarter-billion people, and enslavement of a billion more through India, Africa, and the Americas.  And it's still going on today, with the American practice of "sherrifs" shooting innocent, unarmed black men.  

(That's **** I just read in a 30 second google search.)

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

One of the greatest genocidal forces in history, responsible for the deaths of almost a quarter-billion people, and enslavement of a billion more through India, Africa, and the Americas.  And it's still going on today, with the American practice of "sherrifs" shooting innocent, unarmed black men.  

(That's **** I just read in a 30 second google search.)

All kidding aside, it's reading such lies and willfully ignorant tripe like above, that makes me feel sorry that my children will have to live with such people.

over-reaction ?

maybe..........but it is discouraging ..........................especially seeing that most on the Left simply will not even listen to an opposing view.  As is demonstrated daily here.

Charles C. W. CookeVerified account @charlescwcooke
FollowFollow @charlescwcooke
“But the context.” Yes, the context was this. “Context” doesn’t mean “things I’ve made up and want to add into the mix.” http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/456351/those-outraged-term-anglo-american-are-only-betraying-their-own-ignorance …

DV4XbsgWsAAih3y.jpg

Edited by B-Man

19 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

I still think it's coded. 

I'll take "Things Liberals Say When They Can't Specifically Explain Why They Think Something Is Racist" for $500, Alex.

15 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

I'll take "Things Liberals Say When They Realize they Copy/Pasted a Liberal Talking Point Calling Someone Racist And Are Losing Their Argument Badly and Wish They Never Posted The Liberal Stupidity in the First Place" for $1,000, Alex.

21 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

“The office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement.”

- Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaking at the National Sheriff's Association winter conference in DC.

I expect some people will want to have some explanation on this.

Count me among those who are clamoring for some explanation of why he didn't list ALL of the ethnic/race/culture/religious groups who our fine tradition of American jurisprudence were based on. You know. Trump's man really missed the boat here.

Who can forget that we all learned in that great teaching moment when B.O. instructed the head of NASA to make as his NUMBER ONE priority - the promotion of the news (to all perhaps, me certainly) that Muslims had played an enormous role in the development of our space program and science in general, and needed to be lauded for same.

Yet, stupid tone-deaf Sessions never mentioned the office of Sherrif's being a critical part of the great Iberian-American, Italian-American, French-American, Egyptian-American, Mexican-American, Cuban-American, Guatemalian-American, Columbian-American, Puerto Rican-American (ok, I'm a wee mite redundant with this one), Canadian-American, Samoan-American (Department of Redundancy Department again), Chinese-American, Japanese-American, Nigerian-American, Iraqi-American, Saudi-American, Israeli-American, Jordanian-American, Algerian-American, Lebanese-American, Syrian-American, Turkish-American, German-American, and why would we leave them out - ISIS-American heritage of law enforcement. :wallbash:

I'm certain I've left off many countries, religious, and ethnic groups and I am sorry for that. So, I'll apologize in advance and step back from my keyboard and take my excoriations and suffer being pilloried for those grievous shortcomings.