Best Dog Breeds for Kids?

KD in CA

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

One more problem with Goldens is they don’t live as long as some small yappy dogs. Quality over quantity, I say. My six Goldens have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with he average being closer to the low end. They all grow a tumor somewhere. The end.

A routine trip to the vet today with my 8-1/2 year old Golden led to a follow up call for x-rays and ultrasound on Friday. Tests showed something.  We are having a rough enough stretch already, I can’t imagine losing my dog right now. That would just be piling on.....

I hope your pooch is ok. It sounds like she (and you) have been through a lot over the years.  :(

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve known a few miniature schnauzers in my life. They have a reputation as small, yappy dogs. That is true when the doorbell rings. When hanging around the house they are very well behaved. Smart and easy to train. Not nearly as hyper as a Jack Russell. 

I also have known mixed breed/mutt/rescue terrier mixes. I have always been partial to them, but that may be due to some good memories of a friend’s dog when I was a kid. They also don’t shed much, don’t usually smell bad, and some varieties may be hypoallergenic. But they need to be groomed/trimmed about once a month. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I hope your pooch is ok. It sounds like she (and you) have been through a lot over the years.  :(

She’s helped us ALL get through just the last few months where we've lost my mother-in-law and our son. I swear, a good dog is like medicine! But they say bad things often come in three’s.  Praying this ends better than expected...  This would be just brutal, but maybe we are partially still in shock? 

• Sad 1

On 2/10/2018 at 10:31 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I grew up with the greatest dog to ever walk the earth...a Black Lab/Shepperd mix. So I'm going with a big sloppy mutt!

Sorry, I know this wasn't helpful since you don't want a big dog, but I couldn't resist a gratuitous plug for Pepper. 

But if you're still reading, Pepper had a great temperament and I think that came from the Black Lab side.

This

7 hours ago, Acantha said:

NOT hyperactive??

I had a lab years ago and that thing never stopped! 

I'm buying a home soon and want to get a puppy this spring, so I've been doing a lot of research on breeds.  I love Goldens, but the more I read the more I think they're just too hyper.  Warning after warning about how much exercise they need, and it's more than just the standard long walk every day.  Has me a bit spooked because I'm a big believer that if a dog isn't getting the exercise they need they're just not happy.

Anyone with Goldens disagree?

Also looking at pits.  Also energetic, but doesn't seem like quite the same extreme.  I've had a few friends with pits over the years and they have all been outstanding dogs.

BTW, I have a 4 year old and don't really like small dogs.  My last was a Mastiff that is now living with my ex wife.  Absolutely amazing dogs, but holy crap the drool....

Labs and Goldens were originally bred to be hunting companions to sportsmen, primarily retrieving game birds.  Hunters are frequently in the field for half or an entire day, so they need dogs that can do their job all day long, and sporting breeds have been bred for lots of endurance.  This means that they need a goodly amount of exercise, and that's particularly true for larger dogs.

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Labs and Goldens were originally bred to be hunting companions to sportsmen, primarily retrieving game birds.  Hunters are frequently in the field for half or an entire day, so they need dogs that can do their job all day long, and sporting breeds have been bred for lots of endurance.  This means that they need a goodly amount of exercise, and that's particularly true for larger dogs.

Ummmm, none of my six Goldens have required all that much exercise. The breed has turned into 60-80 pound (or more, unfortunately) wannabe lap dogs. Even when young I never had to do much more than the 10 minute walk around the block. I DID do more, but if I didn’t it was no big deal. They just live to make you happy. 

NOW, our experience with German Short Hair Pointers sounds like what you’re talking about. Both of those creatures needed to move to a farm! YOWZA! 

Big dogs are better with children than smaller dogs for big dogs take the hair and ear pulling, etc like they would a puppy but for smaller dogs children can really hurt them.

Our first dog Ivan was such a big dog and when we had Ivan tied out in yard kids would come over and play with him even kids he never saw before but if a teen tried to do a lazy cut through our yard they would think twice before going past him.  

augie and john, I've always had beagles in the home growing up and I can't take in a dog currently, but would like to

it's awful to see a lab one year and then find out it was put down the next, about 8 years old due to hip problems

and to others, telling us proper breeding prevents this from happening isn't part of the normal people's world who want a dog... :(

17 hours ago, Augie said:

One more problem with Goldens is they don’t live as long as some small yappy dogs. Quality over quantity, I say. My six Goldens have lasted anywhere from 8-13 years, with he average being closer to the low end. They all grow a tumor somewhere. The end.

A routine trip to the vet today with my 8-1/2 year old Golden led to a follow up call for x-rays and ultrasound on Friday. Tests showed something.  We are having a rough enough stretch already, I can’t imagine losing my dog right now. That would just be piling on.....

Cancer is a major concern with Goldens, more so than hip displaysia.   In other breeds, there are eye issues, hips, digestive problems.  Most of these have a genetic basis and are related to the fact that purebreds are very inbred, with many breeds tracing to one or two individual dogs.  Inbreeding tends to accentuate good traits, which is why breeders use it, but it also allows undesirable traits, especially if they're recessive, to show up.  That's why many people advocate for mixed breeds. 

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Ummmm, none of my six Goldens have required all that much exercise. The breed has turned into 60-80 pound (or more, unfortunately) wannabe lap dogs. Even when young I never had to do much more than the 10 minute walk around the block. I DID do more, but if I didn’t it was no big deal. They just live to make you happy. 

NOW, our experience with German Short Hair Pointers sounds like what you’re talking about. Both of those creatures needed to move to a farm! YOWZA! 

The general rule is that the bigger the dog, the more exercise he/she is likely to need, and the best way to cure what owners often consider "hyperactivity" is exercise.  I personally don't think that Goldens are particularly energetic as a breed but some individuals can be.  Of course, some breeds are just overly energetic; Jack Russell Terriers, Border Collies, and German Shorthaired Pointers among them.

Edited by SoTier