Best Dog Breeds for Kids?

KD in CA

We have a big goofy yellow lab but he’s smart, great with kids, eats like a horse and sleeps. A lot of shedding. We also just got a “golden doodle” for my daughter. Great with people/kids, pretty smart for a 13 week old pup, well behaved and “won’t shed”. She’ll be smaller than a typical golden or yellow lab. I’d suggest taking a look at golden doodles. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

We have a big goofy yellow lab but he’s smart, great with kids, eats like a horse and sleeps. A lot of shedding. We also just got a “golden doodle” for my daughter. Great with people/kids, pretty smart for a 13 week old pup, well behaved and “won’t shed”. She’ll be smaller than a typical golden or yellow lab. I’d suggest taking a look at golden doodles. 

I drew a golden doodle in the snow yesterday.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Rescue dogs can be awesome! I sincerely applaud all the people who go that route. My son did that once, but it turned out to be a mistake, not just because of the dog - it just wasn’t a fit. FAR too much energy for his situation. 

It’s such an important part of our family I prefer to reduce the risk as much as possible. We are serious about our dog love. The breeder who sold us our current Golden was rambling trying to justify the $1,200 cost 8 years ago (he’s up to $2,000 now). I listened and nodded without saying I’d pay twice that for the right “best friend”. 

Amortized over a dog’s life and the other expenses, the cost of the dog is peanuts. 

We actually looked into it again recently as a source of a little joy in our life, but we decided to double down on Gracie, our 8 year old. 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I drew a golden doodle in the snow yesterday.

I hope you left a warning not to eat the yellow snow. Actually, if they don’t know that.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True. They're amazing. But Jack Russells are likely known as the most manic of them all. Very fun and funny though. Super smart. They don't like to listen.

The original (Jim) Kelly the Dog was a yellow lab. Best dog ever.

I agreed to house sit for two Jacks years ago. Day one I didn’t bolt the front door tight and they ran out and into the woods half a mile away.  They returned four days later covered in mud (and blood???) and after a hosing down thy were fine.

The breed is nothing like the one on Frasier

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I agreed to house sit for two Jacks years ago. Day one I didn’t bolt the front door tight and they ran out and into the woods half a mile away.  They returned four days later covered in mud (and blood???) and after a hosing down thy were fine.

The breed is nothing like the one on Frasier

They gave that one doggy downers. And like most actors, that dog wanted to be anyone but himself.

I'm a huge dog guy and I think it's pretty much consensus opinion that Jack Russells are on crack.

Before the addiction makes them a downer of course.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I grew up with the greatest dog to ever walk the earth...a Black Lab/Shepperd mix. So I'm going with a big sloppy mutt!

Sorry, I know this wasn't helpful since you don't want a big dog, but I couldn't resist a gratuitous plug for Pepper. 

But if you're still reading, Pepper had a great temperament and I think that came from the Black Lab side.

This is our Black Lab/Shepherd mix - Shadow - on the day we adopted him from the pound. He was almost four years old, had a family who moved and couldn't take him with, so they returned him to the shelter where they got him as a pup. As you can see, he was quite happy to be out of "the joint." He made himself at home right away, and he's been a great addition to the family.

Labs and Goldens are the best. Nice temperament, intelligent, and not hyperactive. A friend calls Shadow "steadfast and true." She's right.

Shadow.JPG

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Parents neighbour had a Jack and it would leap the four foot fence with ease and be sitting in the living room when my parents got home, twice.

The guy that wrote Marley and Me was a columnist for the Palm Beach Post I think. And the origin of the book and movie was a column he wrote after his dog Marley passed. And he wrote that Marley was the best and worst dog ever. So all these readers in Palm beach wrote him or left messages on his recorder that the column was awesome, and touched them deeply, but their dog was the worst ever. And then proceeded to say why.

He took a lot of those and decided to write the book. One was amazing: This dog was a criminal genius and would always break out of the house to just run around the backyard. He would run away, but when this guy and his wife would get home he was invariably out in the yard.

They tried everything to make sure he stayed in. But soon he would take a running start and run across the living room, leap up in the air and go head first through the screen in the window, bust through it and hang outside in the yard.

He busted so many screens they nailed a 2x4 in front of the living room window so he couldnt leap through.

The next day they got home from work and he was outside but they couldn't figure out how he got there. Nothing was wrong in the house.

A few hours later they went upstairs to bed and the screen on their master bedroom window was busted through. Ha. He jumped out the second story window.

Our first, and only, dog is a puggle.  Half pug; half beagle.

The only emotion this dog has is love.  ESPECIALLY with children.  

We got Chloe when my son was 5.  She is incredible with children and people, in general.

Puggles are extremely affectionate.  They are equally as tolerant.  Chloe shares the house with 3 cats and plays with them knowing that she's bigger/stronger and never harms them.

When I walk her, if she sees kids playing outside, she pulls me to them so she can get some loving.

I can't say enough about her.  And I've known other puggle owners who have had the same experiences.  We don't have a fenced in yard.  I'll admit.  It took a solid 2 years for her to be completely house trained.  But now, she'll stay in the house for an entire work day and not have an accident.

As far as life expectancy, from what I've read, 12-14 is the norm.  Chloe turned 9 in July and is still in great shape and acts like a puppy much of the time (knock on wood).

Good luck and consider a puggle!

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Walk around the shelter with the kids and pick one out together.  

Im a big fan of Golden’s and Pits 

A lot of people obviously know this, but the two breeds normally thought to be the most nasty, pits and rottweilers, are right at the top of the list of great dogs if they are brought up right. Rotties are amazing. Dobermans, too.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A lot of people obviously know this, but the two breeds normally thought to be the most nasty, pits and rottweilers, are right at the top of the list of great dogs if they are brought up right. Rotties are amazing. Dobermans, too.

But who looks better in a scarf or a hat???

Goldendoodles are gentle, smart, and don’t shed. They may be a little too big.  There’s also a cockapoo which is cocker spaniel and poodle. They are a little smaller. I know a few goldendooodles personally so I can vouch for them.  I don’t know any cockapoos personally. My neighbor has a dachshund-yorkie mix. He calls it a dorkie. Nice dog but very small. Very small. 

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They gave that one doggy downers. And like most actors, that dog wanted to be anyone but himself.

I'm a huge dog guy and I think it's pretty much consensus opinion that Jack Russells are on crack.

Before the addiction makes them a downer of course.

I have a JRT. He's the funniest, craziest, oddest and creativest (I made the word up for him) dog ever. Very smart, trained For a variety of things--jumping over obstacles, into my arms on my back etc.  Excellent 'fetch' dog, and like Tommy Desimone in goodfellas never thinks he can't kick everyone's ass.  The thing with Jacks that get them into the most trouble is they are bred with an incredible prey drive. Our dog, once focused on something, will stay on it for hours, longer if we would let him. Chipmunk runs terrified into a downspout? Downspout subsequently mangled OR dog waits patiently like an East German sniper for the chipmunk to return. One day my wife called me to tell me she thought he got a squirrel...I came home to find a tail in the garage but nothing else. Two days later, I found a dead tailless squirrel on my front lawn. No idea where it was, or how he got there.  No signs of trauma, except of course he had no tail. 

I would not do it again, my kids were little when we got him but I'll say this---they love that little pain in the ass. He just was very high maintenance and barks at everything. Every...thing. In fairness, our little family sent all sorts of mixed signals at training time(s), so it likely could have been different if we were all on the same page.

On on the other hand he's sitting with me now, burrowed in and just about lovable enough for me to forgive him when he growls at me when I have to get up to go grab some coffee.